PDA

View Full Version : QF Engineering in Perth

Melba
29th Jun 2012, 06:19
Hi Folks!!

As an AME with QF Engineering for the past 12 years I am considering transferring to Perth line maint from Australia's east.

I am hoping somebody from Perth can tell me what the work environment is like, and is the shift 4/4 or 4/5. What suburbs should I look at or avoid when it comes to renting?

Also is there much hope for AME's when it comes to type training?

Any info would be much appreciated.

Engineer_aus
5th Jul 2012, 12:13
From my mate who is a LAME there,
Get in the que for training like everywhere else
Work is a 4 and 4 roster, working Intl/Dom, lots of towing and applying MEL's

Melba
9th Jul 2012, 07:28
Thanks Engineer_aus. I assumed that would be the case with training. I guess the fact they are still training is a good sign, whereas most other ports seem to have stopped.

Also if anyone has any advice on suburbs to rent in or avoid in Perth, that would be great.

aveng
12th Jul 2012, 01:29
Not really training - only B1 conversion ATM, no type training. I think the type training days are gone for a long time. How many B1's or B2's will be needed when the A licence arrives?:yuk:

LAME2
12th Jul 2012, 02:43
How many B2's will be needed with all the B1's being trained to remove their exclusions?

Followed by;

How many B1's will be needed when QANTAS open their flood gates to A Licenses?

If I were an AME today, I would be targeting a B1 qualification, followed up immediately with a B2 qualification. If I was already in an Avionic trade stream as an AME, start pursuing both avenues for a qualification.

It will be hard work, but I suggest take a mouthful and chew like buggery.

aveng
12th Jul 2012, 06:34
If I were an AME today, I would seriously be considering employment in a different industry. The good days are well and truly gone in aviation.:{

djtrv
12th Jul 2012, 10:47
Aveng, could you elaborate on what you said, Im currently in the ADF as an AME and looking to get into the commercial world. Although, reading threads on this forum, it doesn't really sound like a good idea...

onetrack
12th Jul 2012, 13:24
Melba - This following site will assist you to some extent, with your suburb search.

Suburbs in Perth (Greater), Western Australia | realestate.com.au local voices (http://localvoices.realestate.com.au/find-suburb-by-region/perth-greater-western-australia)

You'll find housing and renting in Perth expensive, and the market a lot tighter than any Eastern States city. The only place equal to Perth for excessive pricing for housing and accommodation is Darwin.

Steer clear of Armadale, Gosnells, Thornlie, Lockridge, Koongamia, Koondoola, Ballajura, Girawheen and Nollamara, unles you want to be a victim of regular crime.
Ask any policeman or policewoman what their "hot" suburbs are, and you'll soon find out the suburbs to steer clear of.

The suburbs above are plagued by car-theft, bag snatching, and robbery by a small number, but a very nasty variety, of the indigenes, who are the main cause of crime in Perth.

A favorite stunt of theirs is to cruise the suburbs in a stolen car, find a fast set of wheels (hot Commodores are a favorite) - whereby they break into the house and steal the keys, usually bashing the victim/s in the process. As a result, hot wheels are best kept hidden from street view.

Be very careful trying to apprehend these people, if you look like becoming a victim - they work in groups and a couple are usually hiding, so that they can belt you from behind, when you're trying to stop your car being pinched. They also nearly always carry screwdrivers, and commonly use them to stab victims.
A mate who is a 190cm (6' 4") rugby full forward, tried to tackle two of these thugs at 2:00AM, when they were in the process of stealing his wifes Beemer.

He had two black heads by the hair, and was just at the point of banging them together, when he was laid out cold with a big lump of timber, by another thug hiding in the bushes behind him.
They got away with the Beemer, and he spent a couple of days in hospital with severe concussion and gained a substantial number of stitches in his scalp.

Melba
13th Jul 2012, 06:19
Thanks LAME2 they are all good points I too have been contemplating, and I am currently looking into what will be required to pick up my B2 Quali. However it does seem to be pointless with the exclusion removal the B1's are able to get.

onetrack thanks for the info will definitely be steering clear of those suburbs.

aveng
13th Jul 2012, 08:32
These days converting from AME to LAME is becoming non existent. The major airlines generally have enough and are actually downsizing numbers. (Virgin actually have LAME's employed as AME's and employ vacancy control.) So, with their existing LAMEs, their isn't much need to train anyone on new types. With regards to QF Perth, I suspect what the local management originally told the current AME's regarding being trained up to LAME will not transpire. They keep talking about getting a hanger in Perth and most AME's will be used there.

Coming from the military will probably put you at the bottom of the list behind current employed AME's thats assuming you even get in the door. Sorry to be so negative but thats the way things are headed. LAME's whilst being highly trained are considered expensive by airline management and therefore they are all about limiting numbers.:ugh: