PDA

View Full Version : Dublin Spotting

JWP2010
27th Jun 2012, 20:56
Apologies if this is covered elsewhere - and I can't find the reference - but does anyone know why DAA (presumably) have taken such measures recently to reduce the spotting experience? The main section opposite threshold 28/34 has an increased road safety danger; in the last couple of weeks I have seen more near misses than any roundabout in Ireland...

NWSRG
27th Jun 2012, 21:47
What has changed? The perimeter road just south of the main runway had some laybys that offered good views...have they been closed?

JWP2010
28th Jun 2012, 15:06
Not closed but filled in, bringing parked cars closer to the traffic line.

MidlandDeltic
28th Jun 2012, 15:31
Don't think this would be DAA - it is not on their land. It would be the local council. It has always been "interesting" parking there when traffic is heavy. There have been crime issues in the evening there I understand (drugs, and worse).

However, coupled with the loss of the landside views in the terminal with the closure of the Skyview bar and the adjacent restaurant - being replaced with a Kylemore café, I believe (but whether the views will remain or the occupancy policy be as relaxed remains to be seen) - Dublin is becoming a pain to see planes at!

MD

MidlandDeltic
5th Jul 2012, 08:51
Went on Saturday. It has been banked up at the back and made smaller, with the former "mound" being blocked off entirely. This confirmed to me that it is possibly to allieviate the crime issues I mentioned in my last post. You cannot get more than 2.5m clear of the road, which makes reversing in difficult - especially if coming from the west. Parents parking and taking their kids to GAA training at the nearby ground made it worse :)

MD

Maddie
5th Jul 2012, 20:57
Hi,

Could it have just been a temporary closure due to the annual blessing of the graves taking place at Dardistown Cemetery last Sunday 1st July. This always brings a large volume of traffic to the area.

MidlandDeltic
6th Jul 2012, 08:57
No Maddie - they would not put a 2m high, 100m long earth bank in for a temporary measure :) It is at the back of the layby, preventing access into the trees behind. The layby is not closed, it has just been reduced in size.

MD