PDA

View Full Version : A complex request for help in career prospect (long)

Tom_22
27th Jun 2012, 16:27
Hello to all friends,

I am currently seriously debating how to advance myself in the aviation industry as a pilot.

Trying to go through the internet just confuses me with masses of information which I struggle to filter.

I have just completed a year of work as a flight instructor at "Aerosim Flight Academy" FL, USA as part of one of their programs, gathering some 1050 flight hours of which about 770 through instruction, many more as a simulator instructor and hours of ground briefs.
I hold all FAA licenses (Inst. rated Commercial SE/ME, CFI/CFII/MEI for land airplanes).

Part of the problem is that I am not a US citizen, and getting a working permit there seems to me like a mission impossible at this time. I am originally from Israel (where a future job as a pilot is impractical) but hold also a German citizenship and as so, makes me thinking of converting my licenses to the JAA/EASA.

Some of my other concerns and questions:

1. As an Israeli, all “middle east” countries/Arab countries are excluded (politics…).
2. I have very good English, but that’s about it (other then Hebrew of course).
3. Assuming going towards the EU option:
a. Would you be kind enough do explain to me the main differences between JAA and the EASA? What is the meaning to me coming to this with my FAA licenses and experience?
b. ATPL Theory – would it matter if done via class or distance learning? Any significance to the provider of the course?
c. CPL & IR Conversion – any recommended places to do so?
d. Any point in getting an EU Instructor license? Would that be worth the investment?
4. Another option would be to register for a degree program in the US and find a temporary and limited job as a flight instructor. But this move does not ensure a work permit after I’m done (although a lot can happen in that time if you know what I mean), It also will not allow me to get more advanced flight hours (jet/turbine).
5. I have seen several websites of companies offering Line Training – I understand that I am basically paying to fly a more advanced aircraft…but is it worth it? Do you still get paid as you fly and return some of the investment? Any recommendations in this field?
6. Other places like Canada, Australia and so will also require the conversion process but also getting a legal right to work which is an issue. I am aware that third countries are somewhat of an option and not excluding them immediately.
7. In general, like many others, I am limited in the amount of funds I have to achieve this goal and want to place a “safe bet”.
8. Any knowledge of any proper and suitable sponsorship programs opening in near future?
9. I am not limiting myself only to the airlines. Corporate or any other form of flying will work as well. But still, as passionate I am about flying and getting very close to my 30’s, am looking to find a job as a pilot that will provide me somewhat more then average with an option to develop and not stand still.

Any help thoughts and Ideas will be much appreciated (:

paco
27th Jun 2012, 17:22
JAA has morphed into EASA, which is supposed to perform the same function over Europe as the FAA does in the USA, though with spectacularly less success (just look at the new TRTO syllabus rules - everything backwards).

As to class or distance learning - it depends on how you want to learn. We have several who take all the exams at once after doing it themselves. Some people do better in a classroom. I don't know whether doing one or the other will keep your resume on the pile though.

Tom_22
28th Jun 2012, 10:21
What is the actual meaning of the EASA taking over things?
How does this effect converting FAA licenses (CPL, IR, ME, FI)? What are the requirements?

zondaracer
28th Jun 2012, 12:03
The requirements change slightly, depending on which country you are in, but the result of EASA will supposedly be that conversions will be the same in each country.

For example, the JAA requirement for converting an instrument rating is training required determined by the authority. In the UK, it is 15 hours of instrument training in Europe. Under EASA, the UK will adopt the "training as required determined by the authority" or whatever verbiage they use.

I recommend you check out Lasors
LASORS 2010 | Pilots | Personal Licences and Training (http://www.caa.co.uk/default.aspx?catid=175&pagetype=68&gid=2081)

But basically, the requirements to convert in the UK if you only have a CPL are to pass an initial class 1 medical exam, enroll in an ATPL theory course (distance learning or in-residence) and pass the 14 exams, pass a CPL flight test, receive the minimum training required for the IR and pass an IR flight test, pass the radio telephony exam, and that is all I can think of at the moment.

Another
28th Jun 2012, 17:05
part of your question regarding conversion is a fairly standard one so i do recommend searching a bit on the forums.

http://www.pprune.org/professional-pilot-training-includes-ground-studies/488309-starting-faa-jaa-conversion-any-advice-welcome.html#post7250062

opionions on conversions vary.

my personal opionion is that - unless you have a good amount of money, time and willngness to take a risk - converting to a european license is not a very worthwhile venture. (especially if you only speak english and no other european language.)
the issue is your flight experience after a conversion. (in europe, can not speak for australia etc).
hiring often (NOT ALWAYS) works through an integrated course doing the whole thing or getting recruited with a Type rating (and mabye even 500 hrs on type).
im not saying that inbetween is impossible but just harder.

before you decide, check out where you would be after any conversion and what job options you have then.
best of luck

Tom_22
1st Jul 2012, 17:59
Training as required sounds good...as long as the requirements are reasonable...:hmm:
I see that flight schools are very slowly adjusting their websites as it concerns the EASA issue...will need to discuss about that with them...

Are the LASORS still valid? As I understood it there is a new document for the UK requirements for pilot licensing and is also a guide to the new European Flight Crew licensing requirements. Effective as of 1st July 2012, CAP804 will replace LASORS 2010...: http://www.caa.co.uk/docs/33/CAP804Cor.pdf

As far as the RT exam, If I have an American one (FCC), does it have any meaning in the European arena?

I am aware this is a common topic, but like each topic it has so many opinions, so one hopes to get maybe a fresh perspective over things...
If I wasn't clear, I am not limiting myself to the whereabouts of my future, but given the fact that I do hold a European citizenship, solves the problem of a work permit. If you or anybody else can offer an idea that can hold ground in Australia or any other place to resolve that issue and others, I will look into it as well.

what do you mean by 'where would I be after..'? that's part of what I'm trying to do through here..
I understand you probably mean to ask/look for companies requirements to get hired and job opportunities out there now (which can vary a lot by the time I will be done), any other suggestions?

zondaracer
1st Jul 2012, 22:22
The FCC license won't get you any credit for the RT license. Also, the "English Proficient" on the back of your FAA license doesn't count for anything either. However, in the UK, if you speak level 6 English, a RT examiner or flight test examiner can sign you off for level 6 English which will save you from having to do an English evaluation. In other countries, you actually have to take an official evaluation at your own cost.

Another
2nd Jul 2012, 17:05
what do you mean by 'where would I be after..'? that's part of what I'm trying to do through here..

maybe you had a chance to look at the link i posted, with similar information to the stuff below.
my personal opinion is that with a conversion you end up with a strange qualification level: you are neither a ) a cadet nor b.) an experienced person with a TR and maybe even time on type.

is it possible to get a job anyway? absolutely.

but few companies offer positions for those type of qualifications. (so for me this does not qualify for your desire of "want to place a “safe bet”." ). i guess you dont like to hear this so i encourage you to research it.

so, are you willing, able, prepared and morally ok with paying for a TR after your conversion? same goes with the questionable p2f schemes.

i dont have the answer to questions about your future.
im just pointing out that people believe that FAA->JAA conversions are a "solid" solution. bottom line is thought that they are really not conversions, you end up re-doing a lot (investing time & money in the process) and the end product is not as desirable as one hopes (especially given the effort that went into it)

no chance of aviation scheme in your home country? you end up competing with a lot less people!

Tom_22
3rd Jul 2012, 17:20
I did have a chance to go over it and others, and although they have added to my knowledge about the process and options out there, it has yet to help me solidify a choice..

Strange as it might be in your opinion, this is still where I am now, and I want to try and make the best out of it.
I understand that more research is required...does it seem like I'm not doing it now?!

"but few companies offer positions for those type of qualifications" - Do you know any?! ;)
By the way, do you mind telling what is your (Another) background? PM will do also...

I understand there isn't a clear cut answer to all my questions, and paying for TR/P2F will be only to ensure (without any doubts) work prospects that will lead to an actual career.

As for my country...There are 3 "Major" airlines filled by 90% ex-Air Force pilots, and the rest by people that had a lucky chance at a time when they were hiring...which hasn't happened in the past 2-3 years and is not planned in near future.
I also had conversations in people in the industry (Pilots, Managers) that pictured also a grim condition...one of them gave an example that in the last time they were hiring, they had about 400 applicants of which I would probably won't reach the top 50 with my experience. they chose 15 for the class, but then ended up cancelling it...
That being said, I am waiting for answers from a couple (literally) of schools here to hear what they have to say.

Another
3rd Jul 2012, 21:42
think the bet gets safer if you are able to convert the ATP and have some other job/backup plan to make money. that way its not all eggs in one basket.

people do get jobs outside of integrated course. their paths may are more varied making it harder to give "standard" advice.

pm sent.

Adios
4th Jul 2012, 08:11
LASORS covers the UK implementation of JAA rules - JAR-FCL. CAP804 replaces LASORS and that is what anyone not applying for a licence in the UK by about Mid August should be reading for guidance. I think you'll find very little difference between them.