PDA

View Full Version : Doh, Mister Brown!

Al R
27th Jun 2012, 15:20
.. whilst you can't help but shake your head at this bloke's lack of commercial nous, and although he is about as far removed from public sentiment as could be imagined, I'm groaning at the thought of yet another 'boycott him now!' facebook campaign involving more outraged wailing and gnashing of teeth. How will that help his staff? I don't suppose too many people have thought about that.

BBC News - Coventry bar turns away funeral soldiers (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-coventry-warwickshire-18607764)

I don't expect to find much support here, but shouldn't the debate be about Cpl Thacker and his life - and not the incompetent, insensitive Mr Brown and his lack of common sense? In his defence, he has apologised, claiming that if he was aware of the circumstances, he would gladly have welcomed them in. But notwithstanding that, if he wants to turn away trade, its his call - however stupid that makes him.

Chugalug2
27th Jun 2012, 15:47
What you say makes a lot of sense, Al (as always!). I just don't understand this statement by the aforementioned Mr Brown here Bar apologises for turning away soldiers before funeral | Wales - ITV News (http://www.itv.com/news/wales/2012-06-27/bar-boycotted-after-turning-away-soldiers-before-funeral/)
Two uniformed military personnel visited my bar with a view to purchasing a coffee and were refused by my staff as it is company policy not to serve anyone in uniform.
I don't see that as any explanation as to why they were refused service. If it had been a bevy of beautiful uniformed Air Stewardess's would they have received the same treatment, and again if so why? If the hidden agenda is to refuse service to HM Forces then I'll support the 'boycott him now!' campaign before it's even started, on two counts:
1. It discriminates against HM Forces, or if it doesn't:
2. It also discriminates against beautiful Air Stewardess's.
It presumably also discriminates against uniformed Police, Fire, and Ambulance personnel, Nurses, Cinema Commissionaires, etc, but that is mere conjecture. As to Mr Brown's employees, I would hope that they might point out that the "company policy" is as humiliating for them to enforce as it is for those it is aimed against. Perhaps he might be minded to reconsider his "company policy" after due consideration.

stevef
27th Jun 2012, 18:40
Browns is well known for arbitrary refusal of service. Happened to me several years ago when I was unfortunate enough to live in Coventry.
Large member of staff strides across the almost empty bar. 'I fink you'll find you ain't gonna get served in 'ere.'
Me; 'Oh, any particular reason?'
'I don't 'ave ter give no reason. All right.'
Heard the same from a pilot friend a couple of weeks later.
So, whilst disgraceful in the soldier's case, their 'policy' is spread across all levels. Brown's apology is clearly hollow and he's no doubt going to reflect on this unexpected publicity for some time to come.

ArthurR
27th Jun 2012, 18:49
Bu66er, the Germans when they bombed Coventry missed that pub, perhaps I could send them back to try again.

500N
27th Jun 2012, 19:03
Mr brown contradicts himself.
""Just that I'm sorry and that it wouldn't have happened if we had been aware of the funeral at the rear of Brown's, in the cathedral.""

So is he saying if he had known about the funeral, he would have allowed them to be served ? Sounds like he is trying to save face, mind you without much success !

sitigeltfel
27th Jun 2012, 20:18
From a different source...

Police were called when a brick was thrown though a window.I hope they changed into civvies before turning up :rolleyes:

Melchett01
27th Jun 2012, 21:11
""Just that I'm sorry and that it wouldn't have happened if we had been aware of the funeral at the rear of Brown's, in the cathedral.""

So what you're actually saying is that you are quite happy to profit from peoples' misery? Because that's how that statement reads.

jindabyne
27th Jun 2012, 21:12
Sorry Al R, way too PC. In my opinion, this is yet another example of shameful behaviour by a British citizen. What on earth has it got to do with his staff FCS! His apology is qualified and meaningless. 500N is spot on.

BOAC
27th Jun 2012, 21:20
as it is company policy not to serve anyone in uniform. - presumably should this sad creature ever insist on his serving staff wearing any sort of 'uniform' they would either have to undress to serve a customer or close?

NutLoose
27th Jun 2012, 21:22
It effects his staff because they were following his instructions and if the boycott sticks they could be out of a job through no fault of their own....

LFFC
27th Jun 2012, 21:55
Quite a bit of reaction from some highly placed people.

Bar boycotted after ban on soldiers before funeral (http://www.itv.com/news/2012-06-27/bar-boycotted-after-ban-on-soldiers/)

I wonder if the PM will follow Miliband's lead and do something positive to try to turn around this anti-Forces sentiment that seems to have crept into some elements of society. For my part, I really hope that the local authorities consider this when Mr Brown's license comes up for renewal. :mad:

Hopefully we'll see the other side of the coin in Green Park tomorrow. Wish I could be there.

500N
27th Jun 2012, 22:08
How much would 50% of those who attended the funeral have spent
if they had gone into his pub ?

I thought business wasn't that good in the UK / Europe at the moment
that he can afford to turn business away.

NutLoose
27th Jun 2012, 22:16
Milliband is a slimey little toad, he has no interest in anything except trying to make himself look good at the cost of others and that goes for the rest of them too... I have stepped in better than those "serving" us in Westminster. I would not be suprised in the slightest if he and his chum appear outside the place tomorrow eating a hot Cornish Pasty.

End of the day, this guy has the right to serve whoever he wants and if he does not want to serve those in uniform it is his right, whether that comes back to bite him in the ass is his problem, but for him to have the right of choice is what we are or have fought for.

Al R
27th Jun 2012, 22:17
Jindabyne,

If this bloke is too moronic to realise he lives in a society protected by uniforms, facebook won't do much good and my point about his staff was simply that if his bar closes, his staff lose out. If he felt genuine contrition and remorse, he'd start paying his pennance tomorrow morning when he sees his reflection. Genuine change must come from within and if any good is to come out of this, he must experience genuine regret. That doesn't happen when you're backed into a corner and don't have time to reflect. Instead, self preservation kicks in followed by a hollow 'apology' which serves little apart from allowing the baying crowd to shuffle off, muttering ''we showed 'im''. And this shouldn't be about saving face.. anyone's.

I'm not too PC in my old age - hindsight allows me to think back just 6 years. The Grays Lane campaign at Headley Court achieved the objective because it had humour, passion, thought and conviction. By contrast, the issue with mass Facebook campaigns is, the sense of outrage burns brightly and meaninglessly for a short while and is then snuffed out and forgotten as the next big thing is seized upon. My thoughts were not a defence of him, more a reflection of how we sometimes dilute our expressions of anger by so readily being able to throw a track at absolutely anything. Politicians encourage it..?!

newt
27th Jun 2012, 22:35
Let the troops wear uniform all or some of the time!

In America all establishments are eager to serve their armed forces because they wear the uniform in public!

So what is different in the UK?:ugh::ugh::ugh::ugh::ugh:

parabellum
28th Jun 2012, 00:09
15 posts already and no one has trotted out Kipling yet!;)

If the pub had a fire I'm sure Brown would be only too happy to serve drinks to the fireman who saved his business so what is wrong with servicemen who may well one day save his life?

sitigeltfel
28th Jun 2012, 04:48
I wonder if the PM will follow Miliband's lead and do something positive to try to turn around this anti-Forces sentiment that seems to have crept into some elements of society.

Don't hold your breath. The clamour for gay marriage rights has overriding priority.

Mach the Knife
28th Jun 2012, 07:08
Just to add a little balance. I attended the funeral in the Cathederal for the Red Arrows pilot Sean Cunningham. Browns was packed with personnel in uniform and we were served as we expected to be, no issues.

Tankertrashnav
28th Jun 2012, 08:12
15 posts already and no one has trotted out Kipling yet!http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/smilies/wink2.gif

Maybe it's because the soldiers weren't wearing red coats para ;)

NutLoose
28th Jun 2012, 11:16
He does make exceedingly good pies :p

NutLoose
1st Jul 2012, 11:24
Would appear it's still on going and is now costing them.

BBC News - Soldier refusal bar in Coventry closes for Armed Forces Day (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-coventry-warwickshire-18657453)

4mastacker
1st Jul 2012, 20:29
Banning servicemen/women from pubs/bars isn't a new thing. How many folks walked into Hendies in Leuchars village to be met by the formidable Nancy and the words "Gerrroot, yer barrred!"?

YellaRednGrey
1st Jul 2012, 23:02
Sounds very similar to my experience of being turfed out of Cross Keys pub in Witney, DC's constituency, on the eve of my deployment to Kanadahar in 09. I was going to make a thing of it but discovered that regs were quite clear - uniform can be worn in public except in pubs unless there is a formal occasion going on. I'm now out of uniform but the embarrassment and bad taste lingers on. Is that why Armed Forces Day exists - so 'troops' can be respected for one day?

rowly6339
2nd Jul 2012, 01:28
People going on about how his staff could find themselves out of work is no shame really as who in there right mind would want to work for such a biggot.

November4
2nd Jul 2012, 08:03
A number of years ago (more than I care to admit to..) the publicans of a small west country town asked the CO of RAF Hullavington if those quiet and reserved chaps of the RAF Regt could be a bit more reserved when they had a few drinks on a night out in the town.

The CO said they either accepted them as they were or they would not go to the town for nights out.

A week of the ban and they were pleading for them to be allowed out again.