PDA

View Full Version : Will training in the US jeopardize my employment prospects?

St Andrews 1
27th Jun 2012, 11:58
Hi all

I was wondering whether training in Florida at a FTO such as Phoenix East Aviation or Aerosim is a bad idea for a Brit wanting to return on completion of the course to work for a European airline?

I understand what I would need to do with the licence conversion, however what I'm not sure about is whether or not gaining my licence from a US FTO and then converting the FAA to JAA will jeopardize my employment prospects?

I would have thought that airlines such as Ryanair, Easyjet etc would be OK with it, but how would the likes of Virgin and BA look upon me training in the US?

Cheers

BAe 146-100
27th Jun 2012, 12:38
I think an FAA PPL is still a good option providing you come back with more than 100tt (plenty of airline pilots started off with a FAA ppl), the rest I'd do in the UK with any decent school or do in the US with a reputable company (OAA). Purely because you would come back not knowing a thing about UK airspace, European RT etc. which is just as important as the flying.

The other problem is the conversion requirements as soon as you get to IR/CPL level become a whole lot more complicated and is not looking a good route with the change over to EASA.

Personally I'd go to the States for a PPL and that's it, its better training on your own ballpark.

(oh and by the way there is no point thinking about what BA/Virgin will think untill you have about 3000 hours in a jet under your belt)

mad_jock
27th Jun 2012, 12:44
BA you won't have a chance with unless you have gone through there cadet scheme. If you are going for DEP it doesn't matter how you trained.

Virgin again don't take low houred pilots.

To start your theory and CPL course you only need a ICAO PPL if going modular any flavour will do.

Just with your style of asking the question you really need to read the stickys on the forums and read lasors and make notes what you options are.

O and any mention of a pilot shortage is a load of rubbish don;t be suckered in by it. Its based on a boeing expected sales report and the whole of the flight training industry are hanging there pensions on it.

And on that note as well never ever pay up front unless you can afford to loose the whole lot.

ford cortina
27th Jun 2012, 14:43
In 2003 I gained my FAA PPL, I also sat my conversion to JAA PPL after 100 ours flight time.
I passed my JAA CPL, First Series, IR First Time and now fly a 737.
all on a JAA License.

So in answer to your question.
NO

PPRuNeUser0173
30th Jun 2012, 08:01
I suggest doing your PPL in the UK so you are familiar with airspace, R/T etc and using the states for hours building. From the CPL/IR students I have done conversions for they really struggle with getting to grips with things over here and go way over minimum times to reach the required standard. Obviously it depends on the individual concerned but one Italian guy had to do 75% of the UK course. He deeply regretted going there for basic training and wished he had not done so. I have students right now that are finding it difficult and will go over hours. Most people enjoy the USA experience though!
You pays your money and takes your choice - good luck.

rankace
30th Jun 2012, 14:37
I did my ppl in florida and also my time building and when i started my cpl back in Ireland i was completely lost as there is a lot of difference between both places so i was sorry that i went to america and should have spent the time here and learnt what i really need to know as it took a lot of time to learn the basics and when you are flying a twin at nearly 500 quid an hour you would want to make good use of the time instead of learning the basics again.

ford cortina
30th Jun 2012, 17:22
Could not disagree more.
I did most of my Training in the USA and had very few problems over here.
I fly regualry into the USA and for that matter all over the world, with my job. I dont have any problems except Sub Saharan Africa, it can be a bit tricky down there.

Picking the right school is essential.

Before I get bashed, all of the guys who were in the US at the same time as me, for either PPL or PPl, CPL and MEP are all flying jets for large airlines or in business aviation.

PPRuNeUser0173
1st Jul 2012, 08:25
Obviously doing your training in the USA will not preclude you from getting a job in the EU. From my experience however an awful lot of folks do struggle with training over here and most - not all - wished that they had started off here. Some USA schools don't train students to a good standard and according to my current one they don't even train to a structured syllabus. If that is the case and you want to fly professionaly I would recommend staying here. From my observations the training here is more thorough - as it should be. Not many licence conversions do it in minimum time either so what is the advantage in going stateside. Good for hours building and thats all.

ford cortina
1st Jul 2012, 08:39
I and those like me must be the exception to the rule then.:ok:
I agree, students need a structured course of flight.
However the differences between the USA and here are not that great, after all American, Delta, US Airways etc regularly fly into UK airspace with little difficulty:E
For the record, I did my FAA PPL, converted to JAA PPL.
JAA CPL and MEP in the USA then IR in England.
First series pass CPL and first time pass IR.

I am nopt saying the USA is better, but in response to the original posters question, NO taking your PPL in the USA will not stop you getting a job.

GoAroundAgain1
23rd Jul 2012, 15:49
Surely training in Florida in a CAA school shouldnt be to difficult... I was thinking about getting my PPL in EFT in Fort Pierce and maybe getting my funds together and trying one of the frozen atpl courses in the uk.. What ye think??

B2N2
24th Jul 2012, 13:01
learnt what i really need to know as it took a lot of time to learn the basics

That may have to do more with your choice of schools in the US then anything else.
The famous "timebuilding" is also a tremendous waste of money if you have no idea what to do and how to do it properly and the school only encourages you to fly as much as you can without providing any guidance.
Yes, that will keep you at the level of a solo student but with a 100 extra hours.
Cheap training and good training are mutually exclusive, especially in aviation.
You will pay for it sooner or later as you found out.