PDA

View Full Version : A380 RTO in Doha

steamchicken
27th Jun 2012, 09:49
Colleague of mine was a passenger last night, 0100 or thereabouts local time. Was suitably impressed by the experience, I think.

BN2A
27th Jun 2012, 09:52
<Klaxon> Not News....

:ugh:

HPbleed
27th Jun 2012, 10:00
RTO's are pretty standard, even on an A380, what's so important about this one?

JW411
27th Jun 2012, 10:02
Because his mate was a passenger on the flight. Surely that is newsworthy?

three eighty
27th Jun 2012, 10:06
As far as I know Doha is not on any operators 380 network.
Might want to check your friends facts.

steamchicken
27th Jun 2012, 10:16
I wondered if anyone might have any information to lighten his darkness.

student88
27th Jun 2012, 10:19
This website is getting like airliners.net - tedious!

fullforward
27th Jun 2012, 10:57
"RTO are pretty standard"...WTF??? What the rubbish you're talking?
Out of 30 years flying career and many hours paxing I've never had a single RTO.
You seems to be one of that flightsim capts "knoweverythingboutflying" wannabes that loves to post on PPRUNE...:eek:
Yes, RTOs, specially high speed ones, are a big deal.

SLFguy
27th Jun 2012, 11:09
"This website is getting like airliners.net - tedious! "

And you opened the thread why?

DC-ATE
27th Jun 2012, 11:34
fullforward-
Out of 30 years flying career and many hours paxing I've never had a single RTO.

Hey.....I flew for 30 years also and had LOTS of RTOs. But ALL of 'em were in the sims !! :)

fullforward
27th Jun 2012, 11:41
You got me on that, DC...lol:O

HPbleed
27th Jun 2012, 11:44
Not a simmer I'm afraid sorry to spoil your party.

Ok, high speed RTO's CAN be a big deal, all we're told is it was an RTO - could have been at 20 knots for all you know. We practice these every 6 months and actually bringing an aircraft to a stop isn't the difficult bit - the decision is. Once that's been made, full reverse, keep it straight and full braking and the aircraft looks after itself 99% of the time. Come to a stop and talk to ATC and another decision - vacate or evacuate? Vacate - brake fans on, return to stand for a quick inspection and fix the problem. How is that difficult? The instances where planes leave the runway are because the decision is made at the wrong time, speeds are calculated wrong or the procedure is completed too slowly or incorrectly. As you line up the two things going through your head are the stop before V1 and the continue after V1 procedures, that way you're ready for either scenario.

An evacuation is a totally different story and creates the main problems. A straight forward RTO? Shouldn't be an issue...

BIGBAD
27th Jun 2012, 11:47
Nobody flies the 380 to Doha. QA have delayed they're 380's until the new Doha airport opens as the current one cannot accommodate it, due to infrastructure ie pavement load etc.

King on a Wing
27th Jun 2012, 12:02
NO RTO in doha on a 380 on any day in the past few weeks. And WHY would it make news again....:confused:

Loose rivets
27th Jun 2012, 12:30
Clearly because it didn't happen, so therefore, if it did, it would be news.

BN2A
27th Jun 2012, 14:01
I've had a few RTO's at various airfields in the past.... My instructor was quite complimentary about how I kept a 4 seater straight after idling the prop.
Shall I go into more depth here, or start a new thread???

:p

PS - None of them made the news....

DaveReidUK
27th Jun 2012, 19:21
Colleague of mine was a passenger last night, 0100 or thereabouts local time. Was suitably impressed by the experience, I think.

Did your colleague happen to notice what airline and route he/she was flying on ?