PDA

View Full Version : Bomber Command Memorial VAT bill

kevmusic
26th Jun 2012, 15:30
Shameless heads-up to thread running in Mil Av requesting signatories to an e-petition requesting the Government waive VAT on the new memorial. Given many of the lads and lasses here respect the sacrifice of the 'bomber boys' I thought it appropriate to give it a helping hand.

They haven't got 400 yet, so pile in!

http://www.pprune.org/military-aircrew/488907-e-petition-wave-500-000-vat-bill-bomber-memorial.html

I Love Flying
26th Jun 2012, 15:51
Done and now up to 360.

kevmusic
26th Jun 2012, 19:33
Well done, ILF! :ok: 110 views now. I hope you're all heading over to Mil Av and signing away!

PAXboy
26th Jun 2012, 23:05
Thanks, I would not have seen this in Mil Av. I was #481, my father was in Bomber Command (de died in 2001) and we contributed in his name. Will circulate my family and friends.

Dave Gittins
27th Jun 2012, 12:27
Always a hard question where discretion to break the rules is concerned. I remember Maggie and Bob Geldof having a head to head about VAT on Band Aid's Christmas single ... and the Lady was not for turning.

Latterly things have got a little more relaxed so I hope the Bomber Command memorial does get saved the VAT. My father and uncle (DFC) were both Bomber Boys so I am off to vote.

EDIT
Was number 550. I don't think Band Aid did save the VAT on the first release .. they may have done so second time round.

DeeCee
27th Jun 2012, 12:35
Current information is that the Government made a donation for the same amount as the VAT. Also the MOD has caved in over the security amount. Good news for tomorrow.

PAXboy
27th Jun 2012, 15:05
It will be interesting to see if this gets mentioned in the media reporting of the dedication ceremony today.

BBC web have articles looking back on their site but have not yet heard/seen any news bulletins today.