PDA

View Full Version : IE dropping out.

PPRuNe Pop
25th Jun 2012, 10:18
I have experienced quite a few instances of IE suddenly disappearing. I have now realised that if I open IE again it asks if I want to restore last session - when I click on it does - as if nothing happened at all. But it is very annoying. Any frighteners I can put on IE please

BOAC
25th Jun 2012, 13:43
Hi Pop - which OS, which IE, any particular URL and what does 'dropping out' mean?

Milo Minderbinder
25th Jun 2012, 17:37
usual - check for malware / spyware
make sure IE / Windows are up-to-date with updates
make sure any plugins (java/flash/shockwave) are up to date
make sure your RAM is OK and you have enough
clear out cookies / temp internet / temp files

I've noticed an increase in IE crashes due to srript errors in the last couple of weeks, due to implementation of this new UK cookie rule. It looks like a lot of companies are using bolt-on routines which don't properly integrate and crash IE,. Chrome / Firefox SEEM to be more stable in this respect - at present

Saab Dastard
25th Jun 2012, 19:31
Any frighteners I can put on IE please
Threaten it with Firefox?

On a more serious note, I have had to roll back the most recent Java and Flash updates, as they have broken some apps I use frequently.

SD

Milo Minderbinder
25th Jun 2012, 19:38
"as they have broken some apps I use frequently."

Really? Anything mainstream?

Mike-Bracknell
25th Jun 2012, 23:24
"as they have broken some apps I use frequently."

Really? Anything mainstream?

I had to do the same for a customer who's embedded Youtube video on their website would no longer play after the latest Flash update. Was a bit weird as it would work in IE but not Firefox (same plugin version).

Saab Dastard
25th Jun 2012, 23:39
Well, Flash player 11.3.300.262 now installs itself as a separate sound source in Win 7 and does not remember previous settings, thus making any application using Flash player a pain to use (full volume every time you start it...). So I've reverted to an earlier version 10 which works correctly with the browser. I think that 11.3.300.257 is OK, but I've yet to test it again.

Second, the latest Java update (7) does not work with a number of apps, some games some not. The previous version 6 u31 works just fine, so I've reverted to it.

SD