PDA

View Full Version : FAA Pre-Solo Test.... any info please?

Bearcat F8F
24th Jun 2012, 14:53
Hi fellas,

I'll be renting out a C152 in the States later this summer and I need to sit the FAA pre-solo exam before I'm allowed to go solo.

I've already done this test before when doing my PPL but that was a while back so I just want to make sure that I know all the info I need to fly safely.

As far as I can remember there will be questions regarding:

VFR Weather minimums
Airspace
Fuel Reserves
Which aircraft has advantage on landing
Alcohol limits

What else is there? Is there a mock up anywhere online?

Any info welcome!

Thanks

737-NG
24th Jun 2012, 15:46
You also forgot weather in general, meaning reading METARS TAFS, Weather depiction charts, Area forecast, radar and sattelite maps..

Lots of stuff on regs, (what the aircraft has to have all the time in its cockpit (registration, airworthiness certificate, radio license etc)

Your privileges and limits as a private pilot.

The required equipment on the aircraft for day and night VFR.

The required documents to possess at all times while flying as a private pilot.

Maintenance regulations.

Questions on your aircraft systems, fuel and oil type.

Probably quite a few more things which I forget but will post when it comes back to mind.

Bearcat F8F
24th Jun 2012, 16:40
Thanks, although I definitely don't recall any "maintenance regs" in the test last time I did it.

Also remembered that V-speeds are in it. Maybe airport markings and light signals too?

And thanks for reminding me of the rest. I don't think there's much left that wasn't said so far.

B2N2
24th Jun 2012, 18:06
Bear, there are several websites where you can practice the FAA PPL written exam for free.
This obviously includes any questions that might be in a presolo exam

Pilot Practice Page (http://www.exams4pilots.org)

Bearcat F8F
24th Jun 2012, 21:37
Thanks a lot! That's exactly what I need!

737-NG
25th Jun 2012, 04:39
When I said "maintenance regs" I meant more like knowing how often should your VOR be checked or ELT battery changed, that kind of stuff.

And yes, you are right about RWY markings and tower light signals. V speeds for your aircraft, climb rate, and different performance data.

Trolle
25th Jun 2012, 08:26
The pre-solo test is not strictly defined in the regulations. This is what the FARs say:

(1) The test must address the student pilot's knowledge of--
(i) Applicable sections of parts 61 and 91 of this chapter;
(ii) Airspace rules and procedures for the airport where the solo flight will
be performed; and
(iii) Flight characteristics and operational limitations for the make and
model of aircraft to be flown.

The school or instructor will have their preferred questions. It's just a way to see if you have the basic knowledge to comfortably let you loose.