PDA

View Full Version : Northern Australia job hunting - low time

jpilotj
24th Jun 2012, 01:48
G'day
I am aware this subject has been done to death on pprune so my appologies for the post. I am looking to head up North for my first flying job at the end of the year. I am fully aware that this part of the industry operates on a "one out, next available in" basis.
I've heard alot of mixed messages about certain operators and locations from a wide range of experienced pilots who did the drive many years ago.
Could anyone suggest places/operators and towns with a more recent perspective.

Thanks alot,

Jpilotj

redsnail
24th Jun 2012, 12:06
G'day, you might want to post this in the Dununda section. You'll get a better and more lively response.
I did the trip nearly 20 years ago so I am not current...

However, make sure you have your dangerous good certificate, either your IR or Night VFR current, if you can, a St John's Ambulance certificate and a driving license that allows you to drive busses or larger vehicles than cars. If you can get your mits on a C206 or C210 for a couple of hours, that will be useful.
Bar attendant skills are useful to tide you over. You'll spend a lot of time in them any way. :E

I dare say the "seasons" haven't changed much, you might be lucky to get something at the tail end of the season but most head up in January to get settled.