PDA

View Full Version : Should I stop flying?

Hannah222
23rd Jun 2012, 20:12
My question is simple, should I stop flying?
Lots of points though,
I've just turned 17 and am currently flying circuits for my PPL, I've soloed twice (in January and March) yet we're in June and I haven't been again :( I fly once a month on average because a paper round, working in a cafe, piano teaching and babysitting (very occasionally!) don't make a lot of money! I started flying nearly 2 years ago, just after my 15th birthday and that's when the flying, I want to say 'addiction' haha, started! All my money has gone on it!
Next year I have to decide uni, job or gap year. I have pretty much ruled out uni as it is so expensive, not necessary to be a pilot and there is no course I want to study for 3 years. (I'm still applying however for physics, astrophysics, aerospace engineering or philosophy type subjects as college think I need to do something) So I am going to try find a job, save up and apply for the few sponsorship, scholarship things that are around and if after a year of applying I don't get anywhere, I'm going to take out a huge loan at 19 and go to Greece to Egnatia aviation school (or another school if I find one that looks a good- any thoughts on egnatia?) I'm hoping I'll get a sponsorship though!
So now, do I stop flying for the next year or two to save my money and start one of these courses as someone with just some experience? Or do I keep plodding on at my one or two lessons a month, although this is unlikely that I will get my PPL in the next few years and so would be a bit of a waste? Or do I spend a lot of money I really don't have to get my license this year and make these applications for flight schools as a PPL holder?
Only optimistic answers please- I have enough people telling me I should have plan B's, there are no jobs etc. etc.
Sorry it's such a long question too but I thought you should know some background :)

AlexDeltaCharlie
23rd Jun 2012, 21:15
Hi Hannah222,

I'm in a similar situation- 17, nearly finished my PPL having flown for 18 months at an average of about two lessons per month earning it through part time weekend and evening work around A-Levels. I got through the first year and a half of studying all day and working a lot of evenings driven by my passion for flying, but since then I've had a real change of heart.

I found it frustrating to be spending so much money for so little time actually in the air, and although I never regret learning to fly I must confess that I've spent the last few days tinkering with an old non-running classic sports car I bought to restore with money I'd put aside for post-PPL flying. The money amounted to about six hours' flying in total. I suppose I needed an new hobby to help fill the other 99.8% of the month I didn't actually spend flying, but either way I'm pleased with my decision, even if it is perhaps an indication that I lack the strength of character to commit 100% to flying when the going gets tough.

I've digressed a bit here, but basically I'm trying to say that there are some of us who also understand the sheer effort it takes to pay for a PPL the 'hard way', and the fact you've got several jobs alongside studying is commendable. Keep going, see the PPL through and I'm sure you'll have demonstrated a huge commitment to, and passion for, aviation that will stand you in good stead with future applications!

Like you, I also ruled out uni, on financial grounds and being solely focussed on flying for a living but against all my previous plans my commercial flying plans are, for the time being, all but shelved and I'm going to be moving into halls of residence in September (subject to getting the grades that is!).

The media has done very well to sell papers and write headlines about the changes in the cost of university, but if you ask me it's still an excellent deal:

-You pay back nothing until you're earning >£21,000 per year, and stop paying whenever your income falls below that level.
-You pay back between £30 and £293 per month depending on your salary
-There really are more bursaries and grants floating around than you could shake a stick at

Compare it to the BBVA loan for an integrated flight training course with ~£1900 in 'legal expenses' and 'set up commission', not to mention monthly repayments in the region of £1000 regardless of your income, and university to me doesn't sound like a bad deal at all.

This is not to say you should go to university of course, that's your decision entirely and there's loads of advice and opinions about whether a degree is worthwhile in flying on PPRuNe and elsewhere, but rather that the cost of university shouldn't be the barrier the media and public opinion makes it out to be if you decide you want to go.

Either way, if you're making a university application, it's best to give it some though, put together a good personal statement and submit it. You never know if you might need it. In hindsight I rushed mine thinking it not to be something I'd ever use, did little research and ended up making some really daft decisions. Luckily I chose one good university and I'm really excited about going, even though a year ago I'd never have considered it.

Best of luck whatever you choose to do, and hope you get some more solo time soon!

Scott C
23rd Jun 2012, 23:07
Hi Hannah222,

I know how you are feeling as I have questioned myself about continuing etc...but, don't give up! You'll only regret it if you do.

I am 21 and started flying at 15 having one lesson per month and once I got a slightly better job when I was 16, I started having two per month.
I gained my PPL when I was 18 and now also have a Night Rating, IMC Rating, have done my complex differences training and my total hours stand at 130.

My point is not to brag, but to show that what I have achieved has taken me 6 years so far and I haven't even started my ATPL theory yet.

Money is the biggest problem as it's something I do not have a lot of and nor do my parents.

If you look at the industry, there is some recruiting going on but not a lot. Estimates show that by 2030, approximately 92,500 pilots will be needed in Europe - This may or may not be totally accurate, but as the industry is going to take time to pick up for us newbies, why rush your training?

I have friends who have gone through Oxford, Cabair, CTC etc and have graduated and sat around for 2/3 years waiting for a job, but are still having to pay off an £85,000 loan. Meanwhile, I am just coasting through and fortunately have not had to loan any money yet.

What I am trying to say is, don't give up, but don't rush your training just so you can have a (f)ATPL slapped in your hand tomorrow. The industry is going to take a few years to noticeably pick up (Mr Optimistic is here ;)) so do your training and gain proper flying experience.

I'm not against Integrated flight training, but personally I don't feel like you get proper flying experience. To me, it's just a case of ramping up the hours, ticking some boxes and doing a few tests every now and then. Whereas, with modular, you can pay-as-you-go, but because you can take your time more, you can go places and build your confidence and experience as well as your hours...hours that aren't just circuit bashing or the same navex over again.

Not everyone on here is going to agree with me, but that's the point of the forum...to discuss things and voice opinions.

I hope this helps and whatever you choose to do, I wish you the best of luck :)

Brian304
24th Jun 2012, 10:56
Hey guys,

I started flying at 14 years old, PPL at 17, Frozen ATP at 18, going 23 this year and FO on the B737. My advice to you guys is to get a university degree no matter at what cost, as you'll need it to drop back on sometime in life. The dream might continue living in life, but there are alot of people with experience and still cannot find a job, then thats the time you'll need your academics, the world is never perfect, there will be reccessions and financial downs sometime within your lifetime. The uni loan is not too bad to think about, plus the likes of korean air your going to need a university degree as a requirement.

mrmum
24th Jun 2012, 17:00
No. Short answer to your short initial question.
Very good and relevant advice here, from a few weeks ago, apologies if you've seen and read it already.
http://www.pprune.org/professional-pilot-training-includes-ground-studies/487076-do-ppl-first.html

BUGS/BEARINGS/BOXES
24th Jun 2012, 17:18
Hannah, the FTO you chose DOES make a difference to your employment opportunities. Typically recruiters take 15-30 seconds to look at a CV. If pilots are involved they typically look for your FTO first.

Get yourself on the BA FPP or Flybe Part sponsored schemes.

Above all, do you really want to be training during a downturn and potential end to the euro zone. Should the euro implode, there will be a lot of pain around the corner. But guesses are guesses, and the euro world could hold on and survive.

I personally would not do any CPL/IR integrated training unless with the backing of an airline (pre-selected). If you go modular, some airlines will not look at you.

Don't base your decision on the statistics of an exceptional previous decade. The last 10 years will not repeat themselves. The Spanish and other European markets are contracting, putting established carriers under strain. IMHO there is more pain for the industry to be had before things get better.

I don't wish to try and be negative towards your aspirations, merely advise you that time is in your side, and you can do a lot to place yourself in a good position for the elusive 'upturn'.

Leeds uni(?) Does an aviation studies course with ppl/pilot studies included. A contact of mine does recruitment and tells me they receive a high standard of candidate from there. Yes it costs to go into higher education. Another option is to work for an FBO or school in ops etc, lots of long hours, hard work, cleaning aircraft etc, but it doesn't half show determination! That counts for a lot with preselects on schemes.

As to the original question. Only YOU know the answer to that. If YOU have the finances( or plan) to complete training, and the PASSION to keep on going, only YOU will make it happen. Whilst mum/dad will be a lot wiser than you, only YOU know how much you want this. So the decision as to continue or not rest ONLY with YOU. Good luck. :ok:

DiamondC
24th Jun 2012, 18:38
I started flying when I was just a little older than you and found that lessons with gaps in between made it hard to learn. Eventually, for financial and other reasons, I gave it up before getting my PPL. About 10 years later, I went back to it and did my PPL training intensively over a four-week period. It was a much better way to learn and I loved every minute of it!

I don't regret going to uni and getting a job that pays a decent income (it is good to be able to fly and still afford to live! as well as to have a backup career), but I do regret not staying focussed on my objectives when I was younger. It is easy to get distracted by other things when you divert onto another career path for a while, and getting into flying as a career when you are older is much more difficult due to perceptions that accompany age (whether true or not).