PDA

View Full Version : Where should I go?

OldAg84
1st Apr 2002, 20:59
I have traveled 46 of my 50 states here in the U.S as well as the U.K. and Sweden. In an attempt to broaden my horizons I would like to potentially travel elsewhere in the world. My top five picks if possible- are (and not necessarilly in order)

OZ
NZ
Norway
Japan
Chile

As all you PPruners are a worldy, well traveled lot- I would ask you- If I were to travel for leisure, where should I go and why?

Criterion-

Must be reasonably safe
Adventure-type travel/destination OK

Thanks in advance and have at it.
:)

Edited for grammer.

Hagbard the Amateur
1st Apr 2002, 21:21
Andalucia - that's all I can say. Fly to Malaga then head east along the coastline beyond Nerja and appreciate the Costa Tropical at its best. Once in Granada province, head north through the Sierra Nevada mountains and aim for Granada city, home of one of the wonders of the world, the Alhambra, a palace built by the occupying Moors.
You will experience a captivating mixture of Mediterranean and Arabian attitude/practice. Granada province is a home of Flamenco too and not the sanitised tourist friendly version either.
If on the coast anywhere between Torrenueva and Almeria, ask for a wine called "Vino Costa" - a bit like a wine version of sherry and only available in this area - it doesn't travel so well but is amazing on location. Good Luck OldAg and I hope you make it out there.

redsnail
1st Apr 2002, 22:09
Well,
I'd go to Oz. The US$ gets 2 of Oz's. Great value. People are friendly. For a good laugh, read Bill Bryson's book on Downunder.
Might give you a few ideas.
Now, of course there is the nice cities like Sydney. Climb the Harbour Bridge, well worth it. The food is fantastic and very good value. Check out the Blue Mountains, they are recovering from the fires. Olympic village not bad for a look around too.
If you go up to Queensland, there is plenty to do. Lots of beaches and plenty of national parks too. Cairns is fantastic and is on the Great Barrier Reef. You can dive on it, trips range from day trips to 5 day sessions. Again, food is sensaish, esp the seafood.
NT is unbelievable for adventure. Litchfield park is the go. Of course, Uluru (aka Ayres Rock) is in the middle of the country.
Plenty of beer and the nightlife is fun.
Kimberley region of Western Australia is the world's best kept secret. Harsh, rugged, unforgiving. Stunningly beautiful. Best seen in the Wet season but no one wants to be there. More fools them. Purnululu National Park is there. (aka The Bungle Bungles).
Down the coast is Exmouth, it got clobbered by a cyclone however the diving is brilliant. Ningaloo Reef a lot closer than the Great Barrier Reef.
Perth is the remotest capital city in the world. Another one of Oz's secrets. Good wineries south of it. Nice beaches. Plenty of desert.
Ok, over to South Aust. Adelaide is the city, bloody cheap there. Good night life, restaurants are great. Best thing is the wineries around it. Fantastic stuff.
Check out the Great Ocean road to Melbourne. Victoria has some magnificent sights (can't remember them all now). Ah yes I remember. Snowy Mountains usually gets a reasonable amount of snow on them. Not bad skiing - you would have better in the States though.
Hop over to Tassie as well. Tassie reminds me of England. Small and green. :D

It's a big country, it's about the size of mainland USA. You'll love it.
Best month to visit for weather is Spetember. That's why the Olympics were held then.
Note, I have been to all these places except the wineries at Margaret river, Uluru and Litchfield park. Seen the rest and then some.
Enjoy. :D

SFly
1st Apr 2002, 23:08
46 of the 50 states? Why don't you go the extra 4 and then you can say that you have 'done' the US???

Then . . . hmmm.

Re: Oz. I just read Bill Bryson's Down Under. I thought it was great--if you're considering going there, read the book and 'experience' it beforehand. But if it must be reasonably safe, then Australia might not be your first choice!:D (Sorry all you D&G dwellers! I've never been there anyway! Bad SFly! You know better than to make sweeping judgments on no grounds!) And I've heard New Zealand is a stunningly beautiful place (hence the moniker 'Godzone').

Try Europe. Do a whirlwind (if you're into that kind of thing)--Germany, France, Switzerland, Austria, Holland etc. That is a trip to remember.

Also, try the Caribbean and the Bahamas etc. There are some great places there, especially 'far from the crowd' islands etc.

Or India and the Maldives and those sorts of places.

There's a world of opportunities! :D
Bon voyage!
http://www.norbert12.com/aminatedgifs/flag.gif
SFly

swashplate
1st Apr 2002, 23:21
If you've missed Eastern Europe since the fall of Communism, you could always try....

....The People's Republic of Milton Keynes!!!! :eek:

...Wallow in the Grey, unrelived Concrete monotony!!!!!

...Be amazed by the endless right angles!!!.....

...Cruise gently along the Redways and avoid those roundabouts!!!!!

...and not forgetting those amazing Concrete Cows!!!!! :D:D

Yes, you really cannot beat the PRMK for that authentic 'East Berlin' travel experience!!!!

Contact your travel agent today! (or tomorrow!!:rolleyes: )

Blacksheep
2nd Apr 2002, 00:15
Try Palestine and open your eyes... :(

Through difficulties to the cinema

criticalmass
2nd Apr 2002, 03:51
Recommend Australia because:

1. $US goes a very long way here,
2. We're just a hop across the big pond,
3. You can drink the water...but the beer and wines are better,
4. we don't mind you guys anyway, and,
5. the place is huge and in many ways a time-capsule of what earth was like millions of years ago (oldest continent, largest island, really wierd animals, plants etc)
6. you'll really get to like the way we mutilate English and our accent is, well, unique.

Come on down and enjoy!

BTW, if you plan it right you can also do New Zealand on the way, at the rate of exchange it should only cost you about $10US more:)

TowerDog
2nd Apr 2002, 04:24
Well, since Norway was on yer list: Know the Kingdom fairly well, borne and raised there the TowerDog was.

Clean, organized, friendly and a very expensive country.

Best nature if ya like to see deep fjords, smell the mountains and all that.
Also old culture and buildings. Churches from the 12th century, yet the place is modern with top-less beaches and liberal folks.

Uh, and here is the secret: Don't go there in the winter.

:D

AA SLF
2nd Apr 2002, 06:24
OldAg84 -
My vote goes to NEW ZEALAND . This is the "adventure" capitol of the world - IMHO. Been there, so this is a "personal" recommendation. I would go back in a heartbeat. Exchange rate is also good. Food is good; the ladies are also good. :) I think you could probably also "qualify" out on BASE jumping there as well (real adventure!). -dAAvid

briteandbreezy
2nd Apr 2002, 13:11
I can personally recommend New Zealand!!!!!!

Failing that,.... there's room at Clarence House :p :eek:

(and before ya all start slating me for that.... twas tongue in cheek!!!)

rmmonteiro
2nd Apr 2002, 15:38
try PORTUGAL !!!!! great country!!

see ( if you donīt know it already) www.lonelyplanet.com (http://www.lonelyplanet.com)
itīs great.

Best regards

RMM

ATRIXO
2nd Apr 2002, 16:28
I recommend Oz, but NZ has a great deal to offer too.
There is some great flying to be had very cheaply round Queensland for example rotor or even para gliding; the walking is pretty good too!
If you are into 'naturism' and want to unwind 'back to nature' and I mean back to nature in the wild with hot springs, there is a great camp called Rotota near Rotorua. No stress there!
Never been to Japan, but think that it would be well worth the trip.

Happy travelling!

ArcticCircle
2nd Apr 2002, 17:05
I would give Norway a vote. And do it during the winter season!!! After having visited the city of Bergen on the west coast, you board one of the coastal liners, the Hurtigruta, and 12-14 day later you have enjoyed a magnificiant sea voyage (providing you`re not sea sick) along the Norwegian coast all the way to 70°N and back again. You have seen interesting cities and towns, beautiful fjords and a lot of snow. Not to forget the fact that above the Arctic Circle you will experience 24 hrs darkness mid-winter. Yes, it`s cold, but it`s supposed to be. It is a well known secret that it is almost impossible to book a cabin on these sailings.

Another secret; TowerDog used to peel potatoes on one of these coastal liners in his youth. :D

Cisco Kid
2nd Apr 2002, 22:03
CHILE.. the rest are nice but too predictable ! good food and wine,very pretty girls, fabulous scenery..a slight ,very slight element of danger, and not too many people have done it ,you may find yourself something of a novelty.

NZ would be joint first if not for the fact that most of the women are All Black rugby team reserves.

OldAg84
5th Apr 2002, 21:27
Thanks to everybody. I'm sorry it took so long- I was traveling.

I appreciate the info.:)

Tolsti
6th Apr 2002, 16:01
for a great holiday, with beaches to die for, where a lobster is cheaper than a steak and a beer costs less than a coca cola........... then head for the Cape Verde islands

Tricky Woo
8th Apr 2002, 11:25
Hi OldAg84,

I reckon you should go to Japan for a few weeks.

Recommended:

Start at Tokyo. Should be seen simply for the Bladerunner atmosphere. Architecture around Shinjuku mainstation something to behold, especially NTT building, plus the 'Batman' buildings. It's de rigeur to get thoroughly lost in Shinjuku station: plenty of Japanese soldiers are lost in there, uninformed that WWII is over.

Take the Shinkansen (Bullet) train to Kyoto. The train journey itself worthwhile as a tourist. Goes past Mount Fuji as a bonus!

Kyoto is one of the more beautiful Japanese cities: the old bits are stunning, and the modern bits look properly thought out! Plenty of temples, public gardens, etc, etc.

Nearby to Kyoto is Nara. This is the most beautiful garden town in Japan, I reckon. The majority of Japanese reckon too. The town is great for walking or riding about in. Not to be missed. The park there is famous for the semi-wild deer that like to steal ice-creams, biscuits and apples off small children, who likely as not start crying. Also a HUGE statue of Buddha in an old wooden temple.

Last stop is one of the typical mountain-top Buddhist monastery or temples. Climbing endless steps up a pointy mountain sounds like a terrible way to spend a holiday, but the paradise to be found at the top is well worth it.

Japan is rather expensive, but then you knew that before you added it to your shortlist. However, the quality of everything is very high.

The only foods to be avoided are: the fermented beans dish called nato (nah-toe) which looks and tastes like snot; also baby sea-urchin, which is totally inedible.

Everything else is fantastic.

TW