PDA

View Full Version : No more ATPL at Londonmet Uni

AucT
21st Jun 2012, 14:35
I was browsing for ATPL courses at University in and surrounding London and came accross to London Met University website which came up with Error message when accessing to their ATPL course page. A quick call to University adminssions department confirmed that London Met no longer provides ATPL courses.

Anyone know of other Universities that provide ATPL course part or full time. I am interested in Universities only please.

taxistaxing
21st Jun 2012, 14:52
Out of interest, what makes you want to do it at a university as opposed to distance learning outfit/flying school? It isn't the most 'academic' of subjects...

CharlieTangoZulu
21st Jun 2012, 15:13
the City, London City University offers a bachelor degree in air transport and ATPL. I've just checked that out yesterday, i was interested in the aeronautical engineering :)

AucT
21st Jun 2012, 15:24
Out of interest, what makes you want to do it at a university as opposed to distance learning outfit/flying school? It isn't the most 'academic' of subjects...

taxistaxing, there are several reason for that and one of them is feeling secure that the establishment providing the course is not going to get bust or have a bad name afterwards ... Of course I have couple of other "main" reasons but I shall leave them out of scope of this discussion :)

AucT
21st Jun 2012, 15:25
CharlieTangoZulu, I already have BSc degree so looking for a professional course or Masters rather than another undergraduate degree. Thanks anyway! :)

taxistaxing
21st Jun 2012, 15:39
All falls into place when you put it like that :}

pudoc
21st Jun 2012, 16:29
the City, London City University offers a bachelor degree in air transport and ATPL. I've just checked that out yesterday, i was interested in the aeronautical engineering

I payed them a visit and they looked very good. Aeronautical department looked very interesting and they had a fixed base A320 simulator being built. This was a few years ago so I assume it's all up and running now.

flying free.LEVC
21st Jun 2012, 17:21
do you know any other options in London or near london to do the ATPL theory??

CATS
OXFORD
BRISTOL

Anywhere else?

pudoc
21st Jun 2012, 17:35
I wouldn't say CATS, Oxford and Bristol are close to London.

But there is also ProPilot, BCFT and Flying Time at Shoreham.

Jerry Lee
21st Jun 2012, 18:01
GTServ as well, right?

high wing harry
22nd Jun 2012, 19:43
Also "near" London - CATS have just set up a satellite at Wycombe Air Centre.

Only 25 minute train from central London then a 10 minute taxi, or 40 minutes by car.

Matt7504
22nd Jun 2012, 22:17
If your looking for a university, try looking up New Bucks University and their "Air Transport with Commercial Pilot Training" course. Im just finishing my first year of it at the moment.

paco
23rd Jun 2012, 06:06
Recommended - we're very pleased to be helping them with that.

phil

flight beyond sight
23rd Jun 2012, 08:28
That is complete nonsense a new groundschool organisation is setting up there not CATS

Brian304
24th Jun 2012, 10:32
Well I had an experience with GT SERV and London Met a good few years ago, around 5-6 years ago, and they were both pretty professional, though I think GT SERV should have got bigger classrooms, but anyway its sad to hear that London Met has closed the ATPL's...

fwjc
24th Jun 2012, 10:38
CATS are at Luton and Gatwick. Not sure about Wycombe. But Gatwick's London, ish.

DiamondC
24th Jun 2012, 18:42
Sometimes it can be good to do preparation (brushup) away from home, fewer distractions than if you have your friends calling you to come out for a drink every night :)

Keep in mind that London Met is an academic institution so focussed around the academic year. My exams would have been across two academic years and they couldn't be sure what courses would be offered in the next academic year. I was concerned I'd get halfway through and their funding or focus would change and ATPLs would be cancelled. It's one factor to consider.

rogerthat777
10th Jul 2012, 20:06
I hear that the fdsc aviation management degree students are not going to be able to finish year 2 (atpl) of the course.

Any developments there?

Or is the course moving elsewhere?