PDA

View Full Version : Water leaks on an Archer

mostlytossas
21st Jun 2012, 12:15
Hoping someone can give me good clue to cause.
My Piper Archer 2 leaks water into the floor pan via the rivetts in the floor nearest the rudder pedals every time it rains. Both sides do it though the starboard side is worse. As much as I have tried to find where it is getting in to date I have had no luck. I have had door seal checked (though it does not appear to be there as the carpet under door remains dry) and have silasticed around the windscreens. It is getting in between the floor pan and outer skin somewhere when the aircraft is parked. The outer drain holes appear ok also. Anyone else had simular problem and where did the water be found to be entering? Really giving me the sh*#s at present not to mention corrosion worries. Any help appreciated.

jxk
21st Jun 2012, 16:02
This may not relevant - but it is not unknown for water to get through the lapped fuselage skins; logically they're the wrong way around.

scroogee
24th Jun 2012, 09:37
Not through the air vents?

stevef
25th Jun 2012, 18:26
Have you checked around the firewall's NLG steering rod area?

sevenstrokeroll
25th Jun 2012, 18:49
are there air vents/ wemacs, near the wet spot? are you closing them before it rains?

also, at least until you figure it out. can you turn your plane 180 degrees around for parking? to avoid wind driven rain.

also, sometimes you have to look far away for the leak as sometimes it leaks one place and runs along way.

kevkronrad
1st May 2019, 13:53
I know this is an old thread but did you ever find the cause of this? I am having the same problem

NutLoose
2nd May 2019, 15:20
If you have re-sealed around the windscreen edges, did you also seal around the lower metal screen lip that is screwed on, as that can also let water in from the top of the fuselage, when the screen is fitted I tend to seal around the screens then fit the lower edges on and seal both the lower metal to metal edge as well as the metal to Perspex edge, people forget the lower edge can also let water in as it gets driven under it when raining. Also re-seal where the metal vertical central screen bar slots into and under the lower screwed on lip and at the top too.