PDA

View Full Version : question

flyboy108
20th Jun 2012, 19:06
Does anyone know about this first officer program from alpine air? Is this legitimate/worth it? Alpine Air :: Beech 99 (http://www.alpine-air.com/firstofficer/)
If someone has done somthing like this or knows someone who has please let me the the advantages/disadvantages to do this over CFI obviously you are spending money for one and for the other you make money after initially spending some. All help will be appreciated.

1Wingnut
20th Jun 2012, 22:34
I used to fly UPS cargo on a Beech 99, and I was paid. It is single pilot aircraft, so I am not really sure how you are planning to log time on it under FAA rules. Thinking of paying them $20,000 for the privilege of loading the cargo and keeping the right seat warm? If you want to be a professional, show some pride, and don't pay someone so you can work for them. Go get your CFI and do some flying that you get paid (a little) for, and where you can learn something about flying.

Coldwing
21st Jun 2012, 14:45
Well said Wingnut :ok: jobs where you have to pay are called hobbies

NEDude
21st Jun 2012, 17:43
You can log time if the operation requires two pilots. The Beech 1900 is also technically a single pilot aircraft as well, but FAR 121 requires two pilots, thus the first officer can legally log all the time. Airlines that operate Beech 1900s must issue type ratings with the restriction "BE-1900 Second in Command Required" because of the aircraft being certified as a single pilot aircraft, unless the type rating ride is done single pilot.

flyboy108
21st Jun 2012, 21:24
Appreciating all the help that I am getting I am working towards a CFI but my mind was being itself and making me want to explore diferrent stuff. Thank you all keep it coming. I knew there was an issue with logging PIC and/or SIC.

1Wingnut
22nd Jun 2012, 12:17
@NEDude

A 1900 requires a type rating; a Beech 99 does not. Also, I'm pretty sure Alpine is flying under part 135, not 121.

sevenstrokeroll
22nd Jun 2012, 19:37
Many years ago there was an outfit that offered you copilot time on a piper navajo used in overnight cargo flying.

you pay money, you sit in right seat.

wow, aren't you lucky?

and every so often the idea gets reborn by those companies I didn't care for.

and here they come again.

why not just lie on your log book? (not saying this is moral or good).

flyboy108
26th Jun 2012, 11:03
Hi now this is a totally different question and is for a friend of mine. He applied for a job to fly the Blimp. He recently got his CPL and has like 270 hours TT. So he is wondering supposing that he gets a job how will he be able to use these flying hours towards an ATPL? Thank you for your help.

MarkerInbound
26th Jun 2012, 14:39
The blimp? There are a handful of blimps running loose (drifting?) across the USA. Goodyear has three, Met Life has at least one and Fujifilm has one. No matter, the rules are the same for all of them.

As the holder of a commercial certificate your friend should be able to read the regs and figure out their answer but:
§ 61.159 Aeronautical experience: Airplane category rating.

(a) Except as provided in paragraphs (b), (c), and (d) of this section, a person who is applying for an airline transport pilot certificate with an airplane category and class rating must have at least 1,500 hours of total time as a pilot that includes at least:
(1) 500 hours of cross-country flight time.
(2) 100 hours of night flight time.
(3) 75 hours of instrument flight time, in actual or simulated instrument conditions, subject to the following: [sim stuff deleted]

So we have a requirement for total time as a pilot. Is your friend going to be a pilot in the blimp?

(4) 250 hours of flight time in an airplane as a pilot in command, or as second in command performing the duties of pilot in command while under the supervision of a pilot in command, or any combination thereof, which includes at least—
(i) 100 hours of cross-country flight time; and
(ii) 25 hours of night flight time.

Now we have a requirement for flight time in an airplane. Is a blimp (airship) an airplane?

flyboy108
26th Jun 2012, 16:25
Blimp is an airship so he will still have to fulfill the other requirements on an airplane i guess... Yea I too told him to refer the bible FAR/Aims but i guess he wants some opinions and suggestions. Thank You.

Speedbird48
27th Jun 2012, 13:43
Alpine is indeed 135 so beware before you spend any money and ask a bit more about them and the scheme.

Speedbird48

zondaracer
27th Jun 2012, 16:22
Yup, 135 single pilot, however I have heard right seat guys are logging PIC under the "sole manipulator of controls" provision, which is legally PIC, but not considered PIC in the eyes of lots of hiring personnel.

Speedbird48
27th Jun 2012, 20:44
Zondaracer,

I don't wish to pee on your parade but I would check if their Op's Specs actually allow anyone in the Right seat?? If my brain serves me correctly there was a violation against them for doing that after an accident several years ago.

Their certificate is held in Provo, Utah, but they operate mainly out of Billings, Montana so a check with the Utah FSDO would clear it up for you.

Speedbird 48.

zondaracer
27th Jun 2012, 22:55
Yeah, I haven't looked at their Opsecs. I'm not promoting the pay for right seat deal by any means.

A guy one this forum recently said he did the Alpine Air deal and has FAA documents saying everything is Kosher, but he is at 1000 hours TT (after doing P2F) and still without a job.

To the OP, I wouldn't do it if I were you. Anyhow, have a look at this thread below, another poster did the P2F and is at another deadend, and it is apparent that others are looking down at him for having done P2F.

http://www.pprune.org/interviews-jobs-sponsorship/480642-1000-hour-pilot-now-what.html