PDA

View Full Version : Aussie PPL to CAP 509/frozen ATPL

Call the tower
12th Apr 2001, 15:20
G'day all.

Seeking advice from those in the know/have done/are doing. Regarding CAP 509 courses and JAR frozen ATPL.

What is the situation converting say a CPL/IR to a frozen JAR ATPL>. Or obtaining a Frozen ATPL from an ICAO PPL.

I e-mailed OATS 2 months ago for information on the subject but so far have recieved no reply......sums up them in my view. Maybe if I gave them VISA card details with the e-mail the reply might have been some what faster....who knows.

Advice greatly recieved!

The tower (aussie)

[This message has been edited by Call the tower (edited 12 April 2001).]

redsnail
12th Apr 2001, 19:28
tower,
re converting an Aussie PPL or even a CPL/IR to a JAA ATPL is a very expensive exercise.
If you do not have a FULL ICAO ATPL + CIR then you will not only have to do all 14 JAA ATPL exams but you will have to do the FULL JAA IR syllabus as well ie around 50 hours of flying and the CPL skills test as well. As you can imagine it is costly.
So, to see where you fit in, go to the CAA's website and have a rummage around.

Call the tower
13th Apr 2001, 05:12
Cheers Red Snail, much appreciated!

I did think it would be costly...but in aviation what isn't!

cyco
13th Apr 2001, 06:17
redsnail,

Did you manage to get the req 500 multi crew ops experience in Oz prior to making the move?

I meet all the req ATPL mins apart from that I only have just under 200 hours of multi crew exp.

Prior to that I was multi IFR instructing for 2 years so as you can see, completing the sylabus again is something I would like to avoid at all cost!

Flare_you_fool!
13th Apr 2001, 06:29
Cyco,
I hear alot about this 500 hours multi crew ops thing what does it exempt you from exactly? I have over a 1000 hours multi crew ops but really have no need to return to the UK, but am curious to know
Thanks
FYF

cyco
13th Apr 2001, 11:00
In order to validate your ICAO licence you just need to complete the req 12 exams. However if you wish to validate your IR as well you are required to complete the ENTIRE IR training syllabus from scratch.

Unless you meet the req for a JAA ATPL issue which include along with the standard 1500 hours total etc etc which most ICAO countries have, a req for 500 hour in a multi crew aircraft.

It seem to be this requirment where alot of guys and girls are comming unstuck. The schools I have asked about this seem to dance around the subject.

This req is new and seems to have jumped out of no where.

Now if I am wrong or have missed a vital piece of info I would dearly love to be put wrong.

Cyco

StrateandLevel
13th Apr 2001, 13:13
There seems to be a little confusion here, a CAP 509 Course was an ab-initio course from zero to CPL/IR in 12 months. These courses ceased in 1999 and have been replaced with the JAR-FCL Integrated Course.

If you already have Commercial licences neither of these courses are relevant to you.

The JAR-FCL ATPL is designed for Airline pilots not for GA pilots. The idea is that you fly as First Officer with a CPL/IR and after 500 hours as a first officer you can apply for an ATPL. If you don't fly multi-pilot aeroplanes you don't need an ATPL. You only need to have passed ATPL exams and hold a CPL/IR to get a job as a First Officer.

redsnail
13th Apr 2001, 19:16
Cyco,
Yes, however, I need to still apply to the CAA as most of my 2 crew time is in Bandits and Twotters. There is a clause in the regs that state that it MAY be considered if 2 crew ops were required by national law.

Flare_you_fool!
13th Apr 2001, 19:55
So for clarification,
If somebody holds a foreign ATPL (FAA for example) with over 500 hours of multi crew operations all they need to do is the JAA ground exams for ATPL issue. There is no need to do the IR portion of the flying because they will validate your IR because you have 500 hours of multi crew time?
Is this correct?
Thanks
FYF