PDA

View Full Version : SIR GORDON TAYLOR MC GC

Fantome
20th Jun 2012, 08:36
Bill Taylor (1896-1966) was an Australian who served in the RFC flying Sopwith Pups with 66 SQN. He went on to become a notable Catalina and Sandringham pilot/navigator in the period 1939 to 1960. He wrote a total of eight books about his flying, all containing lyrical passages about the beauty he saw in land, sea and air, and in particular described brilliantly the handling of the boats he flew.

There is a new biography of Taylor under way with an accomplished and accredited Brisbane based writer. As I am assisting him with his research I would be most pleased to hear from anyone who might have access to unpublished material of any kind , relating to Taylor, his family, his friends or his associates.

Hasel Checks
24th Jun 2012, 02:27
Can't help you with new data, but by way of a bump, I'd like to say your subject's book, "The Sky Beyond" is my second favourite flying book.

His account of the epic 1935 Southern Cross Tasman save is perfect.

I understand a documentary re-enactment was filmed, and there are stills on the web depicting it, but the written account is better yet, in my opinion.

Fantome
7th Jul 2012, 00:39
Hoping to make contact with anyone in the UK who may need to visit the National Archives in Kew. If someone is doing this, and has a few hours to spare to look up some RFC records for me covering the time of PG Taylor's service, I should be greatly obliged.

jed2
15th Oct 2012, 13:34
If you have not found anyone to help yet, then I shall be pleased to visit the National Archives at Kew for you. You may contact me direct, here's
my email address - [email protected] OK? Best wishes, John (Cambridge UK).

Discorde
17th Oct 2012, 10:14
Fantome, I've sent you a PM re: 'The Sky Beyond'.

D

Fantome
28th Feb 2014, 07:36
A Brisbane writer, Rick Searle, is near to completing his first draft of what will be the first detailed, comprehensive biography of Taylor to be published.

If anybody has an clues as to sources that may have escaped Rick Searle's notice, please PM me.

One of Taylor's eight published books is 'Frigate Bird', the enthralling account of the first trans oceanic flight from Australia to South America (and return) with the Catalina VH-ASA in 1951. How he managed the refuelling and tricky seas round Easter Island is high drama. This is David Marshall's magnificent painting of that occasion -

http://i201.photobucket.com/albums/aa144/jokova_photos/FrigateBird.jpg

brakedwell
28th Feb 2014, 15:42
What an aviator! Having read his book The Sky Beyond, I am very surprised he isn't better known.

Discorde
7th Mar 2014, 11:51
I've converted 'The Sky Beyond' text into .kdp format for Kindle readers. The intention was to publish this version using my own company but finding the copyright holder(s) has proved impossible so the project has gone no further. If anyone can help, please PM me.