PDA

View Full Version : Qantas--Sydney-Newman cancelled

ranmar850
18th Jun 2012, 23:18
Just had word that the proposed QantasLink Sydney to Newman has been shelved. Was to have been weekly, direct. Numbers don't add up apparently. Surprising, I thought they would have had more than enough to test the water. Newman has seen the largest growth in air traffic in Australia, and not coming off a low base either, although starting well behind Karratha. Let's see if V step in.

balance
19th Jun 2012, 01:24
Was this to be "Qantaslink" or "Qantas Domestic"?

I don't know about the 717, but for the 737 the return payload to Sydney would be extremely limited with the gas required. Newman is a fairly short strip as well as hot and high.

I don't think this is about whether the traffic warrants the flight. It is about performance.

topend3
19th Jun 2012, 02:40
Obviously it was with a 737....canned due to low forward bookings tho think they are giving it another go possibly with a different timing, they had it into Newman around 0830 in the morning I think...

I don't think this is about whether the traffic warrants the flight. It is about performance.

I'm fairly sure they crunch the performance numbers before announcing the flight in a media release and start selling seats !!

Tankengine
19th Jun 2012, 07:46
I wouldn't be so sure about that!:ooh:

jarden
19th Jun 2012, 08:50
Qantas online timetable has got it starting now from 3 July:

QF987 departs 0915 arrives 1230 operates on Tues only.

kookaburra
21st Jun 2012, 13:24
I've operated a Kalgoorlie-Melbourne in a 738 with a full load so I can't see Newman Syd being a problem provided you don't try departing later in the day in the heat.
Might need to leave a few seats unsold seasonaly sometimes though.

Pappa Smurf
22nd Jun 2012, 00:37
Mainly fifo workers who havent got luggage,just as small carry on bag

airdualbleedfault
22nd Jun 2012, 01:20
I've operated a Kalgoorlie-Melbourne in a 738 with a full load so I can't see Newman Syd being a problem

NWN-SYD is around 600nm further ( 2000nm ) than KGI-MEL so not to sure about that ?

Ken Borough
22nd Jun 2012, 01:39
Mainly fifo workers who havent got luggage,just as small carry on bag

Don't go there as someone may look at how inappropriate are the standard loadsheet weights for what are predominantly male manual workers. :p

down3gr33ns
22nd Jun 2012, 05:48
NWN-SYD is around 600nm further

Not to mention KG is 500' lower in elevation. KG also doesn't generally have 40+ degrees C at 9pm in the peak of the heat as has NWN.

Check your performance figures, Kookaburra, you might change your opinion when you do.

Transition Layer
22nd Jun 2012, 11:59
Not to mention the fickle winds at Newman. A few knots of tailwind at both ends is not uncommon.

I'd say the service is still going ahead and is probably one of the big reasons behind the VZ_ aircraft (with short field performance mods) being upgraded to 26K donks.