PDA

View Full Version : Another Ground School Q...

Eyon
17th Jun 2012, 10:31
Hi PPRuNe,

I've just started on my merry way to become (hopefully) a commercial pilot. I am doing it at Stapleford and currently have around 12 hours clocked in my log book.

Although I've got a way to go yet, I'm looking at ground schools. Stapleford have tie-ins with London Met, which I hear mixed reviews about, mostly down to the poor standard of the books they use. Are you forced to use these books or would you just give yourself a headache trying to cross reference to, say, Oxford books?

I'm not entirely sure about distance learning, such as Bristol. I have often struggled to learn by myself, and with a subject as large as what I am about to undertake, I think it is important to do it with others (just my opinion).

Are there any other recommended ground schools to attend full time, which provide a good teaching facility along with well written books?

Looking forward to opinions of others who have down what I am about to undertake!

pudoc
17th Jun 2012, 12:00
I'm also training at Stapleford and having spent many years at the airfield I was well informed to make my decision on ground schooling.

I went to Stapleford with the full intention of going to LMU, I had been to multiple Stapleford open days and had met with the LMU instructors multiple times and they were nice people. However, I was surrounded by other students further into their training I quickly came to the conclusion there were better alternatives.

I chose Bristol and I surprised myself that I actually sat down at home and did it. I was crap in school, I had to drop out of college (its a miracle I got in!) because my grades were so poor and I never ever did school/homework because I was lazy. But I always wanted to be a pilot, and I was really disciplined and studied well with Bristol. Top top school, you won't go wrong at all. So don't be put off if you think you can't sit down at home and do it, if you really want this you will do it.

Some of my friends have go to LMU, less than a quarter of the class passed all 3 phase A exams first time!! LMU had a very good reputation despite the rubbish books but sadly that reputation has taken a u-turn and they've done down hill (Mt. Everest to sea level). My friends now regret their decision and wished they followed me on my course and they said I was really lucky that I get to study at home whilst they struggle to travel to the university in the morning rush hour.

If you don't want distance learning, I would consider ProPilot (course starts October), Oxford or BCFT - in that order.

Eyon
17th Jun 2012, 18:07
You are training at Stapleford now? Well I am moving into the accommodation tomorrow, so I'm sure we will catch up!

Perhaps I will pick the brains of people who have done this stage when I get there, seems such mixed views on this topic.