PDA

View Full Version : one minute of logged global botnet activity

Milo Minderbinder
15th Jun 2012, 18:54
This video may amuse - or surprise

Visualizing Botnets - YouTube

story at
Video: One Minute Of Global Botnet Traffic | threatpost (http://threatpost.com/en_us/blogs/video-one-minute-global-botnet-traffic-061512?utm_source=Newsletter_061512&utm_medium=Email+Marketing&utm_campaign=Newsletter&CID=&CID=%20)

mixture
16th Jun 2012, 11:58
To be honest, that's probably only a minute fraction of the real level of botnet activity, since the company is not going to be able to monitor anywhere near all of the traffic of the internet.

lomapaseo
16th Jun 2012, 12:25
Is there a way they can display a mico dispay where I can zoom in and see if my computer is one of the lights ?

Milo Minderbinder
16th Jun 2012, 12:26
Agreed
I just find it interesting to watch the global patterns as they come and go
It just shows how international the problem is

Mike-Bracknell
16th Jun 2012, 18:00
Is there a way they can display a mico dispay where I can zoom in and see if my computer is one of the lights ?

No, because the geolocation of the IP address is only best guess based on the location of the company being allocated the range.

It'd be nice if you could put in your IP address and see if you were broadcasting something similar, but that would either need a static IP address or be a real-time "have I potentially got something dodgy" request page.

arcniz
26th Jun 2012, 00:28
Interesting visualization! Thank you for the sharing, Milo.

Back in the dark-ages, 1990 maybe, I wrote (for a lark) a bit of software to both test the brave-new world of high-res (640x480) color graphics on Windows 3.0 and to experimentally make a practical diagnostic for subjective observation of the real-time workings of neural nets, which tend to acquire personalities and behaviors that are hard to intuit.

In the course of that one had to cook up a variety of (toally off-the-wall) schemes and metaphors for showing a range of states and conditions and intensities in real-time on a planar 3-d surface while not letting any one area totally obscure the surrounding ones. The visual methods in your example are almost identical, as is the overall effect, particularly the shape-changing multi-color overlay ones for very big or complicated data events. This coincidence must prove something, but dunno what -- maybe that ideas are lurking everywhere, near fully formed, just waiting for someone to set them free.