PDA

View Full Version : Any jobs on Oz?

Cos
14th Sep 2001, 15:31
Does anyone know if there are any flying jobs in Oz? I thought of getting a JAA CPL and then looking for anything from light-singles flying upwards in that huge country. How tough is the competition for such jobs out there?

Cheers.

Token Bird
14th Sep 2001, 15:50
Could ask the guys on the Dunnunda forum. However I think they will tell you that there aren't any jobs and lots of unemployed pilots. Do you have the right to live and work in Oz?

redsnail
15th Sep 2001, 02:30
There are many out of work low houred pilots looking for their first job in Oz. There always will be. For a brief while things looked pretty good. Now Ansett has gone broke effectively dumping several thousand pilots (if you include the AN regionals too) onto the market. So.. now isn't the best time to try. Still, if you crack a job it's a lot of fun.

Lukeskywalker
15th Sep 2001, 11:03
Don't hold your breath heard on Radio 2 news that Ansett has gone under . More antipodeans takind british jobs ?

kelly vermeer
16th Sep 2001, 19:37
Ya it's true the Jaa licence won't do squat for you in Oz. I have been looking seriously at heading back to Oz with my Canadian ATPL and there's a overseas convsion exam to be done, as well as a instrument exam and a flight test. If you were converting from just a commercial licence you'd have two flight tests and two exams (with the commercial exam being a lot more intensive than the ATPL conversion). As well the market doesn't look to friendly to pilots. With Ansett going under and a lot of pilots looking for jobs who have jet time it backs up the system for the rest of us grunts with turbine or prop time. It's a frustrating time for aviation in Oz and NZ so I would look long and hard at the options (just like I'm doing now). I would be giving up a regional job for possibly nothing. Very frustrating!!

VanGal :rolleyes:

gassit
19th Sep 2001, 09:05
My god!!!

where the hell are all the jobs goin to???
and WHY did Air Newzealand shut ansett down??
was planing to head back down under to get a conquest rating and work....looks like it'll be flooding with ex ansett guys every where...

BTW: anyone know how much is a JAA conversion for a pilot with about 600hrs oz cpl/ir.

gas :p

Amelia_Flashtart
19th Sep 2001, 12:20
In the weeks prior to closure Ansett was losing more than AUD$1million per day. All associated subsidiaries went under with them. Plenty of info on Dunnunda.

Consequence of this is that in Oz and NZ total number of pilots looking for employment with CPL and higher is in the region of 6,000. Approximately half of these have TT >5000 with PIC >3500. QANTAS are giving preference to displaced Ansett drivers (and QANTAS subsidiaries to displaced Ansett subsidiary drivers) for recruitment. This may puts the cadet scheme on hold. Virgin recruit direct entry 737 Captains and F/O's but believe you must have 73 endorsement.

Things are a bit bleak around this part of the world at the moment, and probably will be for some time. However, would suggest you keep a close eye on the PPRuNe forums and see how things pan out.

And yep - JAA not worth anything in this part of the world.

Good luck in your endeavours.

Token Bird
19th Sep 2001, 13:02
gassit,

In answer to your question: shed-loads of money! Check out the CAA website for details,

TB

Meeb
19th Sep 2001, 23:39
Not quite true regards JAA ATPL converting to Australian ATPL. Only require to do a conversion Air Law exam, IREX exam and a flight test. Converting the other way round is complicated and expensive. The job situation down under will take a while to shake out, but it will improve.