PDA

View Full Version : ATSB Report on C310 accident at Bathurst Island

Tee Emm
15th Jun 2012, 10:49
The report is here: Investigation: AO-2011-017 - Collision with terrain - Cessna 310R, VH-XGX, near Bathurst Island Aerodrome, NT, 5 February 2011 (http://www.atsb.gov.au/publications/investigation_reports/2011/aair/ao-2011-017.aspx)

The accident was put down to probable somatogravic illusion.

Sometimes these accidents are caused simply by poor instrument flying at the time of the accident. With hundreds of aircraft taking off at night all around Australia often on dark nights in the outback one questions why many pilots don't suffer from somatagravic illusions and crash. I feel the term is over-used when no other evidence is available. A pilot can fly quite competently in IMC most times but make a few seconds of critical error near the ground because of slow instrument scan at the time.

Capt Fathom
15th Jun 2012, 11:35
Why do people add these posts.

1) It's already been bought back to the top further down the page

AND..

2) Most people subscribe to the ATSB Website, and therefore receive ongoing updates!

Food for thought!

sheppey
15th Jun 2012, 13:20

Somewhat mystified what is meant by that remark. Are you implying that once an ATSB report is published no further discussion is warranted?

Lancair70
15th Jun 2012, 13:34
I think the Capt is saying, the topic has been recently resurrected, discussion is occuring already, Why start a new thread ? Did I miss something else ?

compressor stall
15th Jun 2012, 23:01
I have no trouble with the probable / likely cause theory coming from these reports. Especially ad the somatogravic liaison does have a telltale signature.

It seems a better approach than ten years ago when the in depth report would seem to end with "the reason the pilot impacted the ground could not be determined."

bentleg
16th Jun 2012, 00:43

Because they cant be bothered searching for an earlier post to add to.

Mods please merge the threads