PDA

View Full Version : Compagnie Africaine D'Aviation

magnificent_man
14th Jun 2012, 23:03
Hi Guys,

I've got a potential opportunity to work for these guys on the Airbus and I wondered whether anyone could give me any information about life down in the Congo, and what the company is like to work for in general.

Eventually I would like to work in Europe so is flying for an EU blacklisted company going to make that really difficult?

Thanks for any replies

rodmur
16th Jun 2012, 12:22
Operating since 1992 accident free
12 aircraft inc 5 x A320

Owned by 2 Israeli Americans

MetoPower
16th Jun 2012, 13:59
accident free

You'd better check your souces again!!!!!!!!

Springbok614
17th Jun 2012, 11:08
Kinshasa, also referred to as Kin****hole by some, is not a pleasant place to stay. The drive into town from the airport is a potential nightmare. Apart from the DRC S&T which is good, I dread going there! Lubumbashi is a much nicer place in my opinion in terms of basing if possible. Flying around the DRC can be very challenging and dodgy in my opinion. If it is hours that you need go do it! I only know of the one CAA incident where they ran off the end of the runway and up the lava rock at Goma. There gas probably been other as well.

magnificent_man
17th Jun 2012, 14:17
Thanks very much for the replies. It is certainly worth some serious thought! If nothing else - an adventure!

Mobotu
4th Jul 2012, 09:31
Life in the Congo - Although I hate to admit it - Springbok basically sums it up - the drive to the airport and back can often take longer than your flight due to road works and Taxi-buses that don't follow any known road laws and basically just need a good slap. Very interesting nightlife like most big African cities but after your first 6 months of initiation can get a little bit tiresome and most pilots prefer the most sedate Lubumbashi or Brazzaville.
CAA (Mark IV) is a far cry from it's previous incarnations -
Their A320's undergo all major maintenance outside of Congo at recognised maintenance organisations and they have employed a team of international pilots, mechanics and operations staff to ensure they do not repeat past mistakes. Crews are generally paid on time and aircraft defects are attended to on a MEL basis while replacements are sourced.:D

- Currently CAA operates 3 A320's, 1 F100 and 3 F50's inside DRC.
- CAA (Mark I) Two C580's W/O - Tshikappa & Kananga Area.
- CAA (Mark II) One IL18 W/O - Mbuji Mayi
- CAA (Mark III) One MD82 & One B727 W/O Goma & Kinshasa.

JanetFlight
10th Jul 2012, 19:55
Their old 72F seemed a lil heavy on TO .. :O

MjyDvHNr5LU

Or the RWY shorty... :rolleyes:

Hunter58
16th Jul 2012, 04:11
Management is pretty 'hands-on'. If you speak spanish you will do well with the ops management.

Oh, and get very up to speed with tankering, there are a few airports where there is no fuel available...

eaglesnest1972
19th Jul 2012, 07:37
Hello folks,

just a question.
The pilots at CAA are all foreigners? how they deal with the fact that they fly for a blacklisted carrier?

Mobotu
19th Jul 2012, 20:56
Almost all the pilots flying for CAA are foreigners - bar a few co-pilots.

Fact - Flight hours are flight hours!

Remember the blacklist is due to the local AAC (Civil Aviation Authority) being judged incapable after an assesment from ICAO of overseeing aviation safety in the DRC.

Even the citation from ICAO states that this clasifacation is NOT necessarily due to any failings on the part of the companies but rather the body that oversees aviation as a whole in the country.

Davjet
20th Jul 2012, 11:22
Hi does anyone have the contact details of who to contact if looking for a First Officer position, and do you know what their requirements are? You can PM me.

eaglesnest1972
20th Jul 2012, 12:01
Anyone with infos on roster,bases,TC's,life in DRC?
Appreciate, thanks:ok:

ONSHORTFINAL
8th Mar 2013, 20:10
Anyone flying with CAA or in Congo that can provide some info about working there, and usual requirements for FO?
I have been flying a few years MDs and currently holding A320 TR and I am planning to take soon a tour to Africa and knock some doors, which is the usual procedure to get a job in Africa, so any advice will be greatly welcome.

Thanks and happy landings : )

kuksinhyd
22nd Jan 2014, 07:44
Greetings,
Any news regarding DEC on A320 at CAA as of now.......
Thanks.

Mobotu
22nd Jan 2014, 15:35
They own 5 A320's of which 2 only are operational. All crew are foreign with Captains having extensive experience flying in DRC - most of the co-pilots PAY to fly the aircraft(25k for 500hrs) except those upgraded from the F50 at their own expense.....

Intruder One
10th Feb 2014, 07:20
DEC's ok well maybe.Who do you get in touch with to send a resume?Got any pay info as well.

Mobotu
10th Feb 2014, 12:09
Cdt 10k Cpt 6.5k Contact Chief Pilot - YOU pay 25k for 500 hours on A320