PDA

View Full Version : Query about CPL & MSD Lion Air Program

sdaeric
14th Jun 2012, 09:06
Hello,
I'm Eric & I'm an Indian Engineering student at NIT Jalandhar. After I finish my engg (nxt year-2013) I'll be fulfilling my dream of becoming a pilot. I have been researching & researching about cadet programs n all sought of aviation stuff. At the moment I am extremely interested in 3 career paths.

1) Joining CAE Gondia (NFTI) for the Indigo Cadet Pilot Program. It costs Rs 51-52Lac. I can afford that. But the things I've read about the school lately have totally put me off. There are jus 3 air worthy planes out of 8. Also I hate the idea of having to live in Gondia near Nagpur which has a very extreme weather.I dont like that kind of weather.But I am ready to sacrifice for it. Getting placed in Indigo is really good.

2) Joining the simple CPL program @ NFTI Gondia. This costs ~Rs 35-37 lacs (Including service tax and living charge). Again I would hate to stay in Gondia. It would be quite challenging to get selected in the airlines as I would have to clear all sorts of exams. Again.... Thats not a problem, I can slog it out. But no complete guarantee of job. If the market get screwed again we are doomed.

3) My third option is to pursue CPL from the US from either Bel-Air/ Riverside/ Sunshine or Airgo Inc. Its cheap. And then if anyone has seen there is this program with MSD Aviation (based in New Delhi). It is a contract that you sign with them wherein for ~28 lacs you get your 737NG TR and also a 3 year contract with Lion Air (Indonesian LCC operating a large fleet of brand new Boeing 737-900ER a/c). I just love the idea of training in US & then going to Jakarta,Indonesia. I've read innumerable forums on PPRuNe about this program. Some where good, some were bad. I've personally contacted around 4-5 Indian pilots who are now working for Lion Air through this program. They love it. They say that its kind of stressful. They always fly >100 hrs /month. It is kind of stressful but its totally worth it for building experience while your still young (<25-26). The pay is decent and also the life there is not too bad.

Now my question to all you guys is that I need some guidance. I still have 1 year to decide and many of u'll will say that the aviation market may change completely for the better or worse. There maybe more cadet programs and even MSD may close their contract program. Whatever happens I will see about that. But if nothing happens, at least for the moment I would like some ideas and advice about what path among the above would be the best.

I'm writing this post as it will not only help me but it will help all aspiring pilots who are in this position at this time. Please do discuss & guide on what, according to you is the best career path. Also if you have some better career paths please mention so that everyone can benefit. Thanks

glenston
16th Jun 2012, 13:19
Hi.. im glen ,from manglore india..can I get some more information
About u 3rd option ... Eligibility criteria..... cost of cpl,tr. And also cut off marks in 12th :D and
First I wanted to join cae gondia..at first they were the best college in India ,
But now they are cake factory... Too many students less airplanes..
And marketing are only good at fake promises..:=

happy flying