PDA

View Full Version : PPL (H) Anyone?

I hate Jeremy Spake
14th Sep 2001, 03:41
Im trying to find someone who can swap notes on taking my PPL a stage further! Im a bit confused as to the difference between CPL(H) / ATPL ?? is this the same thing?

no sponsor
14th Sep 2001, 20:38
The Helicopter licence requirements are a little different than fixed wing.

After obtaining a PPL H you can fund a course normally to do a CPL H with ATPL in an integrated environment. This will give you a frozen ATPL - which will be un-frozen after 1500 hrs flying to permit you to become a commander of a passenger carrying helicopter.

The main difference in the CPL H course is that you will not normally do an Instrument Rating, therefore, you will be qualified to fly in VFR and SVFR conditions (in IMC) and be paid for it.

More of the larger helicopter companies, such as Bristows, will put you through a IR course so you can fly in Class A and operate under proper IFR.

Some friends of mine have done this route. A reputable school (and cheap) is Helicopter Adventures based in Florida. This is run by ex-Bristows people.

Its a great time to become qualified in the Helicopter industry in the UK at the moment. You will likely get a job with a reputable operator. - or so I'm told by friends.

no sponsor
14th Sep 2001, 21:01
I also forgot - Bristows are currently offering partial sponsorships for ab-initio training. Don't know what the precise figures are.

Bear in mind you will be on a different pay scale if you are partially sponsored, than a normally direct entry candidate (whose paid for his training).

The Flashing Blade
15th Sep 2001, 22:15
No Sponsor,

Do you have info on that partial sponsorship from Bristows ? I'm sure I'm not the only one who has financially crippled themselves trying to get to CPL(H)and who'd be interested.

Currently trying to hours build, very slowly indeed.

no sponsor
19th Sep 2001, 21:45
Email me, and I'll get some names for you to write to/call.

I hate Jeremy Spake
20th Sep 2001, 00:52
Bristow emailed me today, they have 150+ on a waiting list. requirements are PPL, class 1 med and reasonable education certificates

4_DME
21st Sep 2001, 02:02
.......just to say I love the name and the sentiment..

I hate Jeremy Spake
21st Sep 2001, 03:23
thank you , I think!