PDA

View Full Version : Wilbur and Orville may not have been first!

Bally Heck
1st Apr 2002, 10:00
WERE ORVILLE AND WILBUR REALLY FIRST...
A major archeological discovery in Italy might put a different spin on
celebrations marking the 100th anniversary of powered flight. The
Italian Ministry of Culture and History claims that some broken wood
pieces and scraps of a canvas-like fabric found in an ancient olive
grove are remnants of a 600-year-old aircraft crash. "I don't see how
we could interpret it any other way," said Dr. Mario Ciccarelli, the
ministry's lead scientist on the project. "This, we believe, is where
Leonardo da Vinci tested his theories of flight. We believe this
aircraft took off under its own power from a low hill about 300 meters
from the crash site," Ciccarelli said.

TheMagus
1st Apr 2002, 10:17
Have you been reading AVWebs AVfalsch?
I wouldn't take it too seriously... especially not in 1st of April... :D

AAL_Silverbird
1st Apr 2002, 13:27
April Fool!

Click Here (http://www.avweb.com/newswire/avfool02.html)

Bally Heck
1st Apr 2002, 16:03
Sometimes I think irony is dead. Plagiarism of course isn't

ijp
1st Apr 2002, 16:23
Wilber and Orville have to take back seat to Glen Curtiss. Check it out.

FNQTech
4th Apr 2002, 23:59
Kiwi Richard Pearce beat the Wright brothers first flight by 8 months. http://www.nzedge.com/heroes/pearse.html

somewhatconcerned
5th Apr 2002, 00:52
I have come accross several records of powered flight that date before Wilbur and Orville. Perhaps they were the first to achieve powered flight with a journalist present?

FlyingForFun
5th Apr 2002, 08:21
If I remember correctly, weren't they the first to acheive controlled powered flight? I.e. their aircraft went where they wanted it to go, instead of whereever it felt like going?

FFF
----------

CoodaShooda
5th Apr 2002, 08:36
Unfortunately Mr Pearce did not have access to the Smithsonian and the US media.

Anyway, as a kiwi is a flightless bird, we'd better claim him as another Australian(from somewhere else) :p
The world expects aussies to be first in everything...:D :D

Bally Heck
5th Apr 2002, 11:01
On a slightly more serious note of xenophobia. Isn't it peculiar that if you ask an American who was first to fly across the Atlantic, they will tell you the name of the first person to do it solo. (Who strange to relate, is American)

Nopax,thanx
5th Apr 2002, 12:03
I thought that Geordies invented flying..................isn't that right, Herr Draper?:) :) :)

18-Wheeler
5th Apr 2002, 13:32
Allcock & Brown in a Vickers Vimy were the first to cross the Atlantic, and Sir Charles Kingsford Smith was the first to go from east to west.
(An Aussie, of course) ;)

Bally Heck
5th Apr 2002, 23:30
Reminds me of the old joke. (Excuse the racist undertones)

"Liza. Who was de first person to cross de Atlantic in an aeroplane?"?

"It woz ma Rastus Jesebelle"

"No Liza. It woz Alcock an Brown!"

"Das mas Rastus honey. Das ma Rastus"

Rollingthunder
6th Apr 2002, 01:23
Funny, history doesn't record their revolutionary bicycle accomplishments.:p

tinyrice
6th Apr 2002, 01:57
A pox on them............ If they'd stuck with their bleedin' bicycles none of this would have been necessary! I could have gone straight to the drinking without the bother of passing through aviation.

boofhead
6th Apr 2002, 12:37
The Wrights deserve credit of course, but I have an old book that says their Flyer was launched with a catapult (they were familiar with the procedure and used it for all their glider flights, so it seems reasonable that they would use it for the first Flyer). Thus they did not takeoff under their own power.
Their flights that day (they did not fly again for around a year) ended up in a heap, since they lost control after a few seconds or a minute every time. The final flight damaged the Flyer so it could not be flown again. The reproduction built last year cannot be flown, it is too unstable.
So they probably do not deserve credit for making the first controllable flights then either.
It may be that if the facts were obtained and more reasonable rules followed, that the first controllable, powered flight that was able to take off under its own power would have happened a year later, when the Wrights made their second model of the Flyer. And Glenn Curtiss would have given them a run for the money then!
My kids go to school in the US and they are taught that the Wrights were the first to fly. So who cares about facts?

PorcoRosso
10th Apr 2002, 12:04
Of Course the Wright Brothers weren't the first !

The First was a French, mais oui !
Mr Clément Ader, end of XIX th Cnetury.

The problem is, nobody saw him ;)

solotk
11th Apr 2002, 01:54
Dam' my eyes FRENCH you say????????????
and here I was, thinking that fine Englishman Cayley, was the first, with his steam-driven aerial conveyance

It really is too bad M'sieu, I feel a slight on my nations' honour, and I demand satisfaction.
Nothing short of an immediate invasion and conquering of France, and a quick burning of "les archives" to remove this aeronatical slur will do.

I did try to invade and conquer France on my own, in my youth, alas, I was waylaid, by that damn devlish French invention "Le Booze hypermarche"

Just goes to prove my point, they don't fight like Englishmen, and they certainly don't fly like them

Yes I will have another pinch of snuff, jamaicy you say? Dam' fine

Tony
(90's man....well 1790's actually):D