PDA

View Full Version : Duty Free Spirit Allowance into UK?

parabellum
13th Jun 2012, 06:20
I won't be bringing any wine but I am wondering what quantity of spirits I am allowed to bring in to LHR from Australia? It isn't until April 2013 so I appreciate things may change but a guide would be appreciated. Thanks.

Thai Pom
13th Jun 2012, 06:27
When travelling from outside the EU to the UK you are allowed to bring in the following amount of duty/tax free goods, provided you travel with the items and do not intend to sell them (if you go over this allowance, you may have to pay duty and/or tax):

200 cigarettes, or 100 cigarillos, or 50 cigars, or 250g of tobacco
4 litres of still wine
1 litre of spirits or strong liqueurs over 22% volume or 2 litres of fortified wine, sparkling wine or other liqueurs thar are less than 22% volume
16 litres of beer
up to £390 worth of all other goods including gifts, perfume and souvenirs (£270 if arriving by private plane or private boat)
Please note: From Dec 1 2008 you can 'mix and match' products in the alcohol category, and the tobacco category, provided you do not exceed your total allowance. For example you could bring in 100 cigarettes and 25 cigars, which is 50 per cent of your cigarette allowance and 50 per cent of your cigar allowance.

parabellum
14th Jun 2012, 22:58
Thanks for that ThaiPom, I'm wanting to take in three bottles of spirits, have to give it some thought!

EastMids
20th Jun 2012, 16:07
I'm wanting to take in three bottles of spirits, have to give it some thought!

If you really have to, it might be worth bringing three and declaring them in the red channel - at worst you'll pay the duty. But on two occasions I've come back with two/three bottles of spirits, gone down the red channel and declared them, and after being asked if I had anything else (answer no both times) both times I've been told I can carry on and not had to pay anything...

Not promising the same will definitely happen - and they might not be so lenient if you're also loaded with tobacco, perfume, gifts, etc...

crewmeal
21st Jun 2012, 05:22
Try booking your ticket through a European airport. You can bring what you like in that way. These days there isn't much saving on booze. I've found the price of spirits a lot cheaper in the UK supermarkets. For example this week in Morrison's a litre of Gin/Vodka/Bells is £12. I'm sure it will be around £16 in a duty free shop.

These days there is hardly any savings to be had. The only real deals are in Dixon's where the VAT is removed from electrical goods. So if you were thinking of a laptop/tablet you'd probably do well on prices.

parabellum
21st Jun 2012, 22:23
Thanks everybody, decision made, I'll bring in two litres of Laphroaig Quarter Cask and buy the gin in England!

crewmeal
22nd Jun 2012, 05:23
Laphroaig Quarter Cask

£21 in Sainsbury's this week. Let us know how many Ozzy $$$ you paid for it. Mind you it's the psychological impact of it. There is nothing nicer than handing over a bottle or two as a present when you first arrive in the UK, know that it's 'duty free'

If you come through LHR you might want to try the shop the other side of customs. They sometimes have good deals like 2 bottles of Bailey's for £22.

ExXB
22nd Jun 2012, 09:58
These days there is hardly any savings to be had. The only real deals are in Dixon's where the VAT is removed from electrical goods. So if you were thinking of a laptop/tablet you'd probably do well on prices.

Not so certain they do. My wife wanted to buy her mother an iPad 2. I got the retail price from the apple UK store (inclusive of VAT and delivery in the UK) and told her to buy it at Dixons Duty free at LGW, if it was cheaper. It was actually about 5% higher than Apples retail price. When she asked why she was told that not everything was duty free (She was on a flight out to Switzerland) and it is 'too complicated' to have two prices, depending on destination.

We bought it here, including the Swiss VAT (8%).

Duty free, IMHO, is no longer a bargain, and they are just preying on gullible travellers, who havent done their homework.

A2QFI
22nd Jun 2012, 10:07
It isn't too complicated to have dual pricing for spirits though! I was drawn like a wasp to a honeypot by a stand at LGW offering 2 litres of 47.5% Gordons Gin for £20. Only for sale to passengers flying to destinations outside the EU! Drat!

Gulfstreamaviator
22nd Jun 2012, 18:02
Many years ago I owned a duty free outlet, we had a saying that it might be duty / tax free but it certainly is not PROFIT free.

Our profit on Gin and Vodka was over 100%...... Other spirits about 50%.

Perfumes, and other goods, we priced at 10% below current high street prices. Still had a 50-100% profit.

Very good business, before the EU banned DF between contracting states.

When SLF in / out Gibraltar, it was cheaper in Main Street than in the airport Duty Free shop..... Till liquids were banned.....then all bets off.

Glf

ttodd
26th Jun 2012, 11:18
Be careful of alcohol content; sometimes 47.5% duty free and only 40% or less land-side.

And beware of liquids through Bangkok; there is an airside security and liquids bought airside over 100ml are taken prior to departure even though you've been airside siince LHR or Oz!