PDA

View Full Version : Defrag. Conflict of interest.

Mango3
1st Apr 2002, 08:08
Running XP Home Edition, with Norton's 2002. Norton's says my laptop needs defragging, but XP disagree's! I just defraged based on XP's advise and now Norton's is hopping mad and sending pop-up's telling me my files are completely scattered below the 95% optimum.
Any idea's how to stop these two from clashing? Who's right anyhow. Norton's or XP?:confused:

Herc Jerk
5th Apr 2002, 00:08
Hey Mango,

i had been running NU2001 with winME for about a year. IMHO you must think of the Norton as a "communist regime" for your computer- let it do as it sees fit- thats why we paid the extra $$ for the Utilities... BUT be careful with Nortons WinDoctor! i found that it would go off and recommend to delete files that the OS still needed, unfortunately it took me a while to figure this out and my winME became a mess quicker than it normally does :(

now i have installed NU2002 on win2000, but i did not install winDoctor nor Clean Sweep... A more stable OS for sure, but i have also removed Norton's ability to delete parts of my OS, or at least 'recommend' that i do it... :rolleyes: ..monkey see, monkey do...

i agree with aisleman- go with the NU defrag

HJ