PDA

View Full Version : Two very stupid questions...

FlyingGoggles
12th Jun 2012, 17:23
OK, my mind has been wandering, as it often does. I've been working on a project at university dealing with light aircraft, and another where we've looked at adverts for Learjets etc so that's brought me on to commercial aircraft a bit.

1. What would happen, if you were using the facilities and there was a rapid or slow decompression? Are there masks in there? And if there are, are you then stuck in there, or could you, if needed, get back to a cabin seat?

2. Along the same lines: The safety demo tells you what to do if the masks drop. Why do they then not warn you of the (I'm assuming) rather scary descent, so that you at least know it's coming?

I'll probably think of more stupid questions, but these two have been going round my brain for a few hours now... (Yeah, I have too much time on my hands, I know).

WHBM
12th Jun 2012, 17:38
The safety demo tells you what to do if the masks drop. Why do they then not warn you of the (I'm assuming) rather scary descent, so that you at least know it's coming?
The masks require YOU to take an action, that is what you are instructed to do and need to know about.

The descent is handled entirely by the crew, you don't need to do anything while that is achieved.

The instructions are best remembered as an absolute minimum set. There will be a large number of other things happening around. For example, as the masks deploy people regularly comment about "all that dust" that happens. It is not dust, it is French Chalk that the masks have been packed in to minimise the chance of them snagging. You don't need to be instructed on that either, just the grabbing motion.

redsnail
12th Jun 2012, 20:18
There are Ox masks in the toilets in European registered aircraft.

Just keep your seatbelt on. Nothing else for you to do. ;)

Hartington
12th Jun 2012, 20:48
I'm going to add another silly question:

Why do the toilets not have seat belts? Forget the practical design issues, I'm sure they can be overcome. Surely if we should keep our seatbelts fastened at all times it would make sense to have something in there to hold you in place.

redsnail
12th Jun 2012, 20:54
Some aircraft do. I know mine does. ;) (It is not an airliner)
Probably a certification issue.

redsnail
13th Jun 2012, 08:17
Our toilet doubles as a seat albeit with its' own door. The airline toilets are not set up to be pax seats.

The SSK
13th Jun 2012, 08:23
Must admit sometimes sitting down pissing, but then i'm really drunk......
Try to make a habit of it. The person who comes after you (your wife or girlfriend, for example) might appreciate it.

Rwy in Sight
13th Jun 2012, 10:03
Looking at the pictures of the posh interiors I have the question of where seat-belts and oxygen marks are stowed for seats without overheads?

Otto Throttle
13th Jun 2012, 13:18
I suspect the toilet doesn't have a seat belt for sound reason that when the seat belt sign is illuminated you should be in your seat. And if you're already in there when it gets illuminated, then you'd best put down the crossword and get a wriggle on.

sevenstrokeroll
13th Jun 2012, 13:50
is there a possibility that the seatbelt could fall in the toilet and get wet and er soiled?

would you then use the seatbelt?

in airliners, there are oxygen masks for all seats plus a reserve mask at proper intervals.

Now I do think that the lavatory should have heavy padding all over the place in case of hitting turbulence while in the lavatory in an awkward situation.

I know of one incident in which the plane hit severe turbulence without warning, and the SEAT BELT SIGN WAS ILLUMINATED. ONE person didn't obey the sign and was walking to the lavatory ...he was tossed around the cabin, breaking his neck and becoming paralyzed.

redsnail
13th Jun 2012, 14:27
Drop down Ox masks are stowed in the ceiling. The panels aren't obvious. ;)

Capot
13th Jun 2012, 16:24
Of course, if as well as doing the X-word you're having a drag, the release of a mask is a signal that's it's time to put it out sharpish.

Yeelep
15th Jun 2012, 21:07
There are no oxygen masks in the toilets of US registered airliners. The FAA/DHS required they be removed for security reasons a few years ago.:(

VijayMallya
16th Jun 2012, 15:45
Same in India....

FlyingGoggles
16th Jun 2012, 20:45
Right, I think I phrased one question slightly wrong.

I get that all we as passengers have to do is grab the masks etc. What I meant, is I've read several articles etc where people said they were surprised by the emergency descent. Would it be pertinent to warn people that that's going to happen? That's what I meant.

Probably not, but I did wonder.

I didn't know that about planes in the US not having drop down oxygen masks in the toilets.

I also noticed on my last flight, the safety cards said, "Please do not remove from the aircraft". Who would want to steal one? What purpose would that serve??

Denti
16th Jun 2012, 20:52
Safety cards are collected, and quite a few take them as souvenir or something to remember their holidays by. Quite stupid, but apparently normal human behaviour. Since airlines have to replace them before each flight it is somewhat of a hassle.

WHBM
16th Jun 2012, 21:48
I get that all we as passengers have to do is grab the masks etc. What I meant, is I've read several articles etc where people said they were surprised by the emergency descent. Would it be pertinent to warn people that that's going to happen? That's what I meant.
By no means all the oxygen mask deployments are associated with emergency descents. A failure to monitor pressurisation can cause them to deploy during the climb as you go through 14,000 feet, for example. A range of other failures, even on the ground, can occur.[/QUOTE]

PAXboy
17th Jun 2012, 00:44
The reason that all RyanAir a/c have the safety card printed on the seat back in front of you - is to prevent them being stolen and, thus, the cost of replacing.

People also steal the life jackets from under seats. Consequently, RyanAir now has them stored in the same compartment with the O2 masks. Very sensible.

grounded27
17th Jun 2012, 04:40
In commercial aircraft there are o2 masks in the lav. You are expected to be in your seat during turbulence, a rapid decompression is an emergency situation, you may be covered in lav juice but you need to be provided o2.

As far as the rapid descent goes, you are live cargo, the airline takes steps to keep you alive. Making an announcement would be useless over the environmental sound not to mention a waste of their valuable time, even if you could hear it it would likely result in anxiety resulting in irrational actions. The submissive human response to self preserve is what the CAA's logically want (secure your seat belt, breathe air and ensure children next to you do so)

To add... Most modern aircraft have vacume waste systems, worst case scenario you may have your own brown trout and urine floating about the lav during a rapid descent

Yeelep
17th Jun 2012, 13:39
In commercial aircraft there are o2 masks in the lav. You are expected to be in your seat during turbulence, a rapid decompression is an emergency situation, you may be covered in lav juice but you need to be provided o2.
This is not true. In FAA governed aircraft, any chemical o2 generators that can be accessed from inside the lav have been removed. It went into effect early last year.

http://www.airweb.faa.gov/Regulatory_and_Guidance_Library/rgAD.nsf/0/9f88c7760144bb948625784d0050a787/$FILE/2011-04-09.pdf