PDA

View Full Version : Collective Colour Vision Thread 4

Pages : 1 2 [3]

Seanlister1
7th Jun 2018, 14:54
Hey guys,

I'm currently holding off from going for my medical until I am confident and understand the CAD test. I've poured over the CAA guidance material but one thing still confuses me, the GM says you can pass if you are below 12 protan or below 6 deutan. Now this is where I get confused, i have a little app that simulates the CAD test and the results are given as how they'd appear at the medical. Usually I come out with 1 protan and 5 deutan so my question is can you still pass the medical if you have both protan and deautan?

akag
10th Jun 2018, 02:48
Interest on this post, is your beyne lantern test been accepted? I’m in the same situation! Thanks!

Yes Beynes Lantern Test is accepted Europe-wide. Lots of airlines require a local ATPL license though - so you have to convert your ATPL to the ATPL of the country where the airline is. In order to have an ATPL issued in another country, you also need to transfer your medical records to that country. This is however not a problem, as Beynes is accepted by EASA

simone993
11th Jun 2018, 09:18
Yes Beynes Lantern Test is accepted Europe-wide. Lots of airlines require a local ATPL license though - so you have to convert your ATPL to the ATPL of the country where the airline is. In order to have an ATPL issued in another country, you also need to transfer your medical records to that country. This is however not a problem, as Beynes is accepted by EASA
Thank you!!!
Am I required to present a report of the beyne test that includes test results, machine settings and all the oculistic stuff? Because if it’s necessary I’ll ask the AeMC where I performed the test to release me this document and so I’ll be more relaxed for the next renewals or conversion. Do you know if are there problems to convert into CAA UK because in their site they say lantern test are not nowadays performed and not accepted by them. Is it only refer to an-initio candidates?
Thanks!

lqid
17th Jun 2018, 22:26
Hi everyone,
I truly don't know where the proper place to put this is, so my sincere apologies if this is totally incorrect...
Original question posted on reddit, but was directed here (can't place URL here, but its in r/flying if you're interested)

I'll copy/paste what I've asked there, but please let me know if you need any clarification...
I haven't gone for my first medical, but I know I'll fail the Ishihara - I've failed it plenty in my youth.Deducing that I should go to my DAME, I'll receive a Class 2 medical with a restriction of "day VFR only", I'll then attempt a Farnsworth Lantern test. I have no idea (honestly) if I'll pass that or not, as I have no reference point.Should I fail the lantern, that's okay - it's all about being responsible and maintaining the safety of myself and others. If I can't pass, I'll live with that.Assuming everything else goes fine, and I have a Class 2 with that restriction, I'd like to fully understand what that means? Essentially the logic of that sentence structure...So I'll only be allowed to fly during the day, AND under VFR? Would I be allowed to fly during the day under IFR, provided I got my IR eventually?

Thank you for your time, in advance.

Ttecheverry
13th Jul 2018, 02:24
Hi all,

I'm starting a whatsapp group for cvds in Europe.

Happy to set to others for other regions.

I need to understand how many are still struggling with this, what can be done about this and who'd support, thanks.
Pponte would you please add me to the group? My name is Matias I'm from Argentina.
I'll send you a pm
Thank you

You can’t use the Private Messaging system, add url links or images until you have an established posting history.

akag
13th Jul 2018, 12:29
Thank you!!!
Am I required to present a report of the beyne test that includes test results, machine settings and all the oculistic stuff? Because if it’s necessary I’ll ask the AeMC where I performed the test to release me this document and so I’ll be more relaxed for the next renewals or conversion. Do you know if are there problems to convert into CAA UK because in their site they say lantern test are not nowadays performed and not accepted by them. Is it only refer to an-initio candidates?
Thanks!

That's a good point. I would guess it is only for people getting the MC1 for the first time. Otherwise, pilots with successful careers on passed lantern tests would lose their medical and job. The question is whether this also applies to people who already have an EASA MC1 from another European country and would like to convert it into a EASA UK MC1...?

simone993
13th Jul 2018, 22:50
I don't think that people with "bulletproof" carrers will be grounded as the CV problem is not like to change with time (excluding every relevant med condition that could lead to a loss of CV), honestly I never heard of UK pilots who have seen their class 1 refused after this change. Because the lantern tests (Beyne, Spectrolux or HW) are still used nowadays in most of the AeMCs (Italy, Netherlands, Sweden, Spain, France, etc), this could lead to a massive legal action that I think EASA is not willing to face. I think that when EASA will recommend the move to CAD they will use the same legislation path that followed UAE: so basically who have undertaken a lantern or anomaloscope test in an approved AeMC before the CAD entering will be not required to sit the test again. Every opinion about this matter is well accepted!!!
Bye

simone993
13th Jul 2018, 22:59
From GCAA CV regulation:

"(i) Initial Applicants for Class 1 who fail the Ishihara’s test, or

(ii) Renewal Applicants who previously passed screening test and failed the current screening testing, or

(iii) Holder of Foreign waiver at initial GCAA Medical application, or

(iv) Current holder of GCAA Medical Class 1 who had previously granted a waiver based on foreign waiver/or advance colour vision tests not approved by GCAA.

Note: Current GCAA Licence Holders who had previously passed Anomaloscopy or Lantern testing acceptable to GCAA (Holmes Wright, Beynes, or Spectrolux) are not required to take CAD test."

ianM737
24th Jul 2018, 09:59
Hi Guys, I recently did the Ishihara and Lantern test and failed both miserably. Booked in to do the CAD test in Heathrow next week.

Has anyone done the CAD test recently at Heathrow? Or anyone failed the Ishihara and Lantern test but passed the CAD?

Cheers folks!

irish_kiwi
18th Aug 2018, 22:41
Hi everyone,
I truly don't know where the proper place to put this is, so my sincere apologies if this is totally incorrect...
Original question posted on reddit, but was directed here (can't place URL here, but its in r/flying if you're interested)

I'll copy/paste what I've asked there, but please let me know if you need any clarification...
I haven't gone for my first medical, but I know I'll fail the Ishihara - I've failed it plenty in my youth.Deducing that I should go to my DAME, I'll receive a Class 2 medical with a restriction of "day VFR only", I'll then attempt a Farnsworth Lantern test. I have no idea (honestly) if I'll pass that or not, as I have no reference point.Should I fail the lantern, that's okay - it's all about being responsible and maintaining the safety of myself and others. If I can't pass, I'll live with that.Assuming everything else goes fine, and I have a Class 2 with that restriction, I'd like to fully understand what that means? Essentially the logic of that sentence structure...So I'll only be allowed to fly during the day, AND under VFR? Would I be allowed to fly during the day under IFR, provided I got my IR eventually?

Thank you for your time, in advance.

if you pass the Farnsworth or CAD for a class 2, it is also sufficient for a class 1. There is no distinction between Class 1/2 for colour vision

if you fail the CAD, you will only be able to fly Day & VFR. No night, no IFR.

You can fly CPL day/Vfr eg instructing, Charter etc.

MarkJJ
24th Sep 2018, 01:25
Hey guys looking for any advice regarding the CAD. Sat the CAD twice scored 13.35 and 12.04. I hold expired UK class one and ICAO class one. Passed the Farnsworth D15 and lantern test at Gatwick for the class one in 09. I'm trying to gain a class one in UAE but can't pass the CAD it seems. Any advice out there.. Cheers in advance.

Alphawunwun
14th Dec 2018, 01:46
Greetings to all,

To anyone that have some insight into the medical requirements in Philippines..

Please advise, is there an alternative test that can be taken beside Ishihara Test? And also, could you share with the information regarding the AME in Philippines that I can get in touch with? Really appreciate on all of your feedbacks.

Thank you.

Regards.

Ivi1987
18th Jan 2019, 07:19
Hello,

Anybody knows an AME or a specific country where on the yearly revalidation of Class 1 they don't test on ishihara plates?

Thanks

USA1pilot
18th Jan 2019, 19:18
With EASA it is only tested once, never again on the yearly check.

Alphawunwun
21st Jan 2019, 11:09
You guys may want to go through it. Let me know what are your thoughts.

> caa.govt.nz/assets/legacy/medical/Med_Info_Sheets/MIS006. pdf

I can’t post the url here, so combine it first for search.

Best regards.

Marteniuc
22nd Jan 2019, 20:02
Hi I had my 1 class medical test yesterday on 21.01.2019 i received a bad news , i can't have the certificate because i have deutan colour blindness, is not very strong , but i failed and i'm ruined ,I dont know what to do!!

so is my career of commercial pilot compromised? Any thing else I can do?

cheers,

Webby737
3rd Feb 2019, 21:57
Hi I had my 1 class medical test yesterday on 21.01.2019 i received a bad news , i can't have the certificate because i have deutan colour blindness, is not very strong , but i failed and i'm ruined ,I dont know what to do!!

cheers,
Sorry to hear that !
What colour test where you given ?
I would assume that you had the Ishihara test.
I fail that every time I've been tested (in my case annually) but can comfortably pass both lantern tests.
Your next step, try and arrange another test.

Good Luck !

aviator2345
8th Mar 2019, 18:15
Hey guys, I'm in much need of some help! I have been stuck in a 2-year battle now to get my EASA class 1 medical with no success

Essentially to make a long story short : I passed both the Holmes Wright Lantern A and the Anomaloscope with a matching range of 4 scale units or less, but for some reason I cannot pass this CAD test (this inaccurate piece of rubbish that has no relation to aviation at all), I took the CAD test 3 times going from original score of 16 to 12 ! Just shows you, not 100 percent accurate at all.
Now according to the EASA regulation Med B075 you should be examined either by. Meaning, if you pass any one of the 3 tests you should be issued a class 1 medical. However, the CAA as you maybe aware changed their regulation quite considerably to only accepting the CAD or normal colour vision individuals on the Anomaloscope. Meaning I was unable to get my UK class 1, even though at the time of my testing the old regulation was still in place.

So when communicating to another EASA state about this, in which they still follow EASA regulation, they said “The authority’s interpretation of this either by is, that only one of the advanced colour perception tests needs to be completed and passed, not to try all of them until one is passed.
Please be informed that this will be our last statement in this matter".

Now I have no idea what to do in this situation, all my test was conducted at the same test centre as a battery of tests so there was no way for me to just sit one test, and I wasn’t going around to see which one I can pass (however this should be acceptable anyways ?!) Many different people go around to find a test they can pass.
So, I feel like I'm being told to shut up by the medical department like I’m not allowed to have my opinion.

So my two questions are : Has anyone passed their class 1 with a multitude of different tests which some are fails? Basically, any situation similar to mine.
Has anyone got any advice they can give me about what to do regarding this and how I can get my class 1?
Thanks in advance!

simone993
9th Mar 2019, 16:05
Hey guys, I'm in much need of some help! I have been stuck in a 2-year battle now to get my EASA class 1 medical with no success

Essentially to make a long story short : I passed both the Holmes Wright Lantern A and the Anomaloscope with a matching range of 4 scale units or less, but for some reason I cannot pass this CAD test (this inaccurate piece of rubbish that has no relation to aviation at all), I took the CAD test 3 times going from original score of 16 to 12 ! Just shows you, not 100 percent accurate at all.
Now according to the EASA regulation Med B075 you should be examined either by. Meaning, if you pass any one of the 3 tests you should be issued a class 1 medical. However, the CAA as you maybe aware changed their regulation quite considerably to only accepting the CAD or normal colour vision individuals on the Anomaloscope. Meaning I was unable to get my UK class 1, even though at the time of my testing the old regulation was still in place.

So when communicating to another EASA state about this, in which they still follow EASA regulation, they said “The authority’s interpretation of this either by is, that only one of the advanced colour perception tests needs to be completed and passed, not to try all of them until one is passed.
Please be informed that this will be our last statement in this matter".

Now I have no idea what to do in this situation, all my test was conducted at the same test centre as a battery of tests so there was no way for me to just sit one test, and I wasn’t going around to see which one I can pass (however this should be acceptable anyways ?!) Many different people go around to find a test they can pass.
So, I feel like I'm being told to shut up by the medical department like I’m not allowed to have my opinion.

So my two questions are : Has anyone passed their class 1 with a multitude of different tests which some are fails? Basically, any situation similar to mine.
Has anyone got any advice they can give me about what to do regarding this and how I can get my class 1?
Thanks in advance!
Hi!
I read your post, so I’ll try to help you but I need some more infos: did they release you the class 1 two years ago? Why did they test you with lantern and Anomaloscope if at the end they wanted you to pass only CAD? This sounds a little bit odd!!

aviator2345
12th Mar 2019, 10:19
Hi Simone
Thanks for your offer to help, really appreciate it !
To help clarify some points:
My testing was done originally at City uni as a battery of tests which I sent to the CAA, I originally thought you only have to send one of the tests which you pass, so hence I sent them just the pass of the HWL,however, the CAA requested to see all the testing including my failed CAD test. Then I went through all the appeals processes and even to the final appeal, I was trying to say to the CAA your not following regulation, I've passed two tests. But according to the CAA those test are rubbish?!?! The CAA then got me to do 2 more CAD tests of which I failed but got better results at . To then deny my class 1.

I wanted to then get a second opinion from another EASA ophthalmologist in another country regarding my testing, who said I should pass my class 1 medical however I should come and do a medical there.
I did so ,I got my class 1 medical in a different EASA state , which was then made invalid by the UK CAA because I had two licensing authorities at one time.
So I was furious getting mislead, thrown about, and the regulatory authority's keeping changing the criteria.

Now to bring it up to date , I recently wanted to transfer my UK class 2 with limitations and my PPL to that same other EASA state ,but I wanted to make sure I would receive my class 1 with no limitations if I did this.
They then replied that the UK has made their decision and essentially you have failed the CAD that's it . But I have passed two tests and the regulation states either by. It does not state you have to pass the CAD or that you can only take one test etc. They then gave me that answer about their interpretation that I believe is incorrect and I did all the testing together . So now I have no idea what to do because they keep shutting me out.

To answer your first question : I had a final appeal with the UK CAA , did not get my UK class 1 , the other easa state class 1 was issued a year ago but made invalid within the month.

To answer your second question, hopefully above will help explain.
Sorry it's such a long post ,but a lot has happened in 2 years.
Thanks again for your help

Stan Woolley
12th Mar 2019, 12:16

cheers,

You have my compassion. I know how that feels.

I was somehow able to overcome my colour vision problems, but I had a few months where I thought my dreams were over. All I would say, is that if it does come down to being a sad truth, I now know that there are many other exciting opportunities to follow. I now think that everything happens for a reason!

During those few months I started playing the bass guitar. Over the years I found as much or even more pleasure from this avenue as I did from aviation. There are so many interesting avenues to pursue.

For some time it may appear to be the end of your world, but it surely won’t be. :ok:

aloa326
12th Mar 2019, 16:26
UK CAA is a rubbish;

they spent an enormous amount of money to research and implement CAD test, that they only accept this test.

they are really hard to change their mind, even worse when someone goes against their interest, in this case CAD implemented by them.
I had some problems with them, and I will never and ever do something with them.

now all medical files are online and not possible to have 2 medical certificate from 2 different authorities,

a question: which class do you have right now? It’s only an idea but think on it: if you are not in rush and take some years pause, you could leave your medical elapse for more than 5 years and do an initial all over again in another EASA member state.....I know sounds bit crazy, but if they don’t change mind looks the only possible way.

i am really sorry....I know how you feel.

Aloa

simone993
12th Mar 2019, 23:55
Aloa is right at 100%! Another option is to gain a class 2 with the limitation on it from UK and start the conversion process to another country (Spain, Ireland, Italy, Portugal, etc), once the other country will receive your records they’ll be able to tell you what will be the best option for you and maybe they will propose to sit the exam with them to clarify this point, I know that countries like Portugal or Spain have lifted these limitation to people who passed one of the approved tests in an AeMC! Your report from city university (lantern) probably won’t be accepted by another Easa authority because they want that these tests are performed by an AME usually.
Unfortunately in the UK you’ll not be able to sort out this issue, there’s no way :(

Wish you the best of luck!

aviator2345
14th Mar 2019, 11:04
Thanks, aloa326 and simone993 for your help ! The CAA stated that my testing would be valid as they have accepted CAD results from city uni. SO it should be valid in other EASA state.

I'm appalled and the way the CAA have treated me and others, constantly changing the goalposts of what they require to get a class 1. So whilst I try and sort out my medical in that other EASA state I'm now in communication with a number of organisations in the UK to try and change the CAA over restricted and non-evidential regulation on colour vision.

I will not stand for the CAA messing with peoples lives and careers with no factual evidence to support it. I'm looking to create a group where we can work together to try and change it. It's not gonna be a short process but I'm sure we can do it! If anyone is interested in this please do let me know, create a sort of whats app group.

Do let me know if you still have any suggestions on my previous posts.

sethgecko
22nd Mar 2019, 11:51
This thread was incredibly helpful to me so I wanted to share my experiences with colour vision testing.

When I was 16 I had an Ishihara plate test in which I struggled with a few and made some errors. The examiner at the time (I think it was just an opticians, so long ago I cannot recall) advised that I would never be able to become a pilot. I do remember asking if I was colour blind and his response was that I had a colour deficiency but it was so minor he could not put a number to it. A someone cryptic response but as a young 16 year old lad, dream dead, killed off right there and then.

When I became interested in seriously pursuing an Aviation Career I was concerned that I would not meet the colour vision requirements. I found some of the Ishihara tests online and had mixed results, one of them I completed with only 2 errors and the other I complete with zero errors. I also stumbled across the CAD test and history of how this was developed, perhaps there was some hope for me yet.

So fast forward to February this year and I attended Heathrow medical services for my initial Class 1. I saw the Chief Optometrist, Dr Adrian Chorley who was a thoroughly professional and general great guy, he made me feel at eases as he explained the various testing procedures. We came to the Ishihara plate test, a book on a stand presented below a lamp. I recall that this test had to be conducted under specific lighting conditions and clearly this was catered for here. The Optometrist began to turn the pages, the plates looked very different to what I had seen online, lots of purple colours. I really struggled and knew I had made errors. We completed some other testing then we discussed the Ishihara plate test and that I had scored 6/15. The Optometrist mentioned that there was another test we could do, I asked if this was the CAD test and he confirmed.

I was seated in front of the machine and the test was explained to me. There are lots of grey boxes on the screen, it kind of looks like pixelated graphics from 80's computer games. There will be a coloured boxed that travels across the grey boxes in a straight line (out to one of four corners). You have to click a button to confirm the direction it went in. You could compare this to the audio tests in the way that the sounds get fainter and fainter, the same happens with the colours. The optometrist also advised that the test would identify my weak areas and test them more rigorously. Sure enough the clear coloured boxes became fainter and fainter. If you see no colour at all you just make a guess, the next colour box will not start its journey until you press a button. I found this test challenging as it lasted quite some time and at times the boxes were so faint I had to make some guesses. As the test progressed and the guesses increased my heart started to sink, I was very worried that I was failing this.

We got to the end of the test and I braced myself for the results. The optometrist advised that I had a colour deficiency and took time to walk me through the results. The good news is that I had passed the test. He provided a print out which shows the threshold and your results. My diagnosis was that I had deutan deficiency and normal YB colour vision.

R-G threshold 2.92
Y-B threshold 1.54

This put my colour test result into the following category :

Mild Deutan / Proton deficiency threshold <6 deutan, < 12 protan which enables a a fit unrestricted EASA Class 1 and 2. Unfit European Class 3, Fit UK Class 1.

I hope that my contribution is of some help to others as I read this thread in its entirety before my medical and it was very helpful.

Marteniuc
1st Apr 2019, 12:23
Sorry to hear that !
What colour test where you given ?
I would assume that you had the Ishihara test.
I fail that every time I've been tested (in my case annually) but can comfortably pass both lantern tests.
Your next step, try and arrange another test.

Good Luck !

hi
i had my second test in london for 1 class medical at end of February
So,second one,even worst they find me from previous and they didn't want me to examinate me because they said if i fail first there is no way to get better to pass this one
And i have been recorded to CAA with a eyes problem,
there is any way to delete these records from CAA or if i change the name can i start over?

cheers

sethgecko
5th Apr 2019, 09:33
Marteniuc it will be easier for people to help you if you respond to the queries. As per Webby737's query was your initial test the Ishiara plates?

Regarding the 2nd test at the end of February did your Optometrist refuse to examine you based on your Optometry results from the 1st test? If you took and failed the Ishiara you should have been given the option of the CAD test, if you took and failed the CAD test then that is a different story. You stated in your first post that you have a deutan colour blindness which begs me to think you may have already had the CAD.

The CAA colour vision guidance can be found here for clarity : https://www.caa.co.uk/Aeromedical-Examiners/Medical-standards/Pilots-(EASA)/Conditions/Visual/Colour-vision-guidance-material-GM/

alekpilot
13th Apr 2019, 09:35
Require EASA you to be a "normal" Trichromat to pass Anomaloscope. I'm diagnosed with Protanomaly Anomalous Trichromat but still have a matching range below 4 on Anomaloscope. EASA regulation does not state "normal" in the AMC1 MED.B.075.
anomaloscopy (Nagel or equivalent).

This test is considered passed if the colour match is trichromatic and the matching range is 4 scale units or less, or if the anomalous quotient is acceptable; or by

Is anyone in here approved by anomaloscope despite being a Anomalous Trichromat but have a matching range below 4?

aviator2345
13th Apr 2019, 20:17
Hi alekpilot
Anyone with a matching range of 4 scale units or less and is trichromatic is considered to be colour safe in all EASA countries except the UK. The Uk changed their regulation which now states they must be normal trichromatic and they state the pass mark for a normal being 38-42 units.
Hope this helps

mltrk
15th Apr 2019, 15:56
Require EASA you to be a "normal" Trichromat to pass Anomaloscope. I'm diagnosed with Protanomaly Anomalous Trichromat but still have a matching range below 4 on Anomaloscope. EASA regulation does not state "normal" in the AMC1 MED.B.075.
anomaloscopy (Nagel or equivalent).

This test is considered passed if the colour match is trichromatic and the matching range is 4 scale units or less, or if the anomalous quotient is acceptable; or by

Is anyone in here approved by anomaloscope despite being a Anomalous Trichromat but have a matching range below 4?
Hi im new in this forum , ı wondered that according to this results can ı get class 1 medical certificate acoording to EASA rules
İ joined 4 colour vision tests and those my results :

ishiara: 14/25 FAİL

anomoloscope: left 1.4 right 1.4 PASSED

100 hue: score 52 PASSED

CAD (colour assessment and diagnosis): threshold 12 but i got 15.28 FAİL

Can i get class 1 health licence according to easa health requirements with anomoloscope result

alekpilot
15th Apr 2019, 17:06
Hi alekpilot
Anyone with a matching range of 4 scale units or less and is trichromatic is considered to be colour safe in all EASA countries except the UK. The Uk changed their regulation which now states they must be normal trichromatic and they state the pass mark for a normal being 38-42 units.
Hope this helps
So there is no need to be a normal trichromat as long as you have a matching range of 4 or less?

sethgecko
15th Apr 2019, 22:21
Hi im new in this forum , ı wondered that according to this results can ı get class 1 medical certificate acoording to EASA rules
İ joined 4 colour vision tests and those my results :

ishiara: 14/25 FAİL

anomoloscope: left 1.4 right 1.4 PASSED

100 hue: score 52 PASSED

CAD (colour assessment and diagnosis): threshold 12 but i got 15.28 FAİL

Can i get class 1 health licence according to easa health requirements with anomoloscope result

Have a read of the CAA colour vision guidance material as there are some notes on Anomaloscopy testing :

https://www.caa.co.uk/Aeromedical-Examiners/Medical-standards/Pilots-(EASA)/Conditions/Visual/Colour-vision-guidance-material-GM/

mltrk
15th Apr 2019, 22:44
ı already have read it but there isnt any thing about that if anyone pass anomaloscope but fail from CAD test than can get class 1. I m living in Turkey ı have asked this problem to my autority then they said me that we are using same rules with EASA but according to EASA rules ı should get class 1 what should ı have to do in this situation can ı get class 1 from any further easa member ?

aviator2345
23rd Apr 2019, 18:40
That's correct apart from the UK CAA

aviator2345
23rd Apr 2019, 18:43
mltrk

You would be able to get an EASA class 1 except from the UK due to the CAA changing their own pass marks to essentially make the CAD the only available test to pass as colour defects , its ridiculous

pitekman
24th Apr 2019, 14:28
Does anybody know whether Ishihara plates are commonly used as primary testing in Canada? Anybody uses Amercian Optical charts there?

BONES_
25th Apr 2019, 21:18
Meanwhile New Zealand has reviewed colour vision assessments and decided to allow CVD pilots to undertake an operational colour vision assessment (OCVA) potentially allowing them to fly at all levels, including CPL/ATPL/Night/IFR.

https://www.caa.govt.nz/assets/legacy/medical/gd-colour-vision-deficiency.pdf?fbclid=IwAR1Gy5e8kh9Vhz2WTb-bcu18RQ9cJxvz1uZxOU3kaHqwL7NgP2HCjYBRvM0

Australia is to follow next. Now considering also a more pragmatic FAA approach, where is EASA standing? isn’t it time for Europe to wake up and allow competency based testing to end once for all this farcical discrimination?

mltrk
25th Jun 2019, 12:07
i have discussed with our Civil Aviation Authority they said that they have not any information about this subject because of this you have to bring a document which that say if applicant fail a test but pass other one applicant may be succsesful

Can anyone send a EASA document which shows that if a pilot pass a anomaloscope but fail Cad test even so applicant can get class 1 medical certificate without restriction
İ need this document to prove to Turkey Civil Aviation Authority
;)
Thanks...

Webby737
19th Jul 2019, 20:25
BONES

It's good to see that NZ & Australia have decided to lead the way with this, a OCVA makes sense. As an engineer this is similar to what I have to do every year, we call it a trade test but it's basically the same thing.
No doubt the UK Campaign Against Aviation will follow suit in about 20 years time !

averdung
22nd Aug 2019, 07:58
Tell 'em to get bent, save up a bit o'quid, and go to Florida. The FAA tests you with charts, the actual tower lights and a Color Vision Medical Flight Test with the examiner in the airplane, none of this video game bull. You'll have even less of a problem with EFBs, because the colors don't fade with sun exposure as they do in paper, and ICAO charts are printed in glow-in-the-dark intense tones anyway. EASA accepts FAA Letters of Evidence and/or SODA, Statement of Demonstrated Aptitude.

pitekman
22nd Aug 2019, 12:45
. EASA accepts FAA Letters of Evidence and/or SODA, Statement of Demonstrated Aptitude.

Do you confirm that? That would make things a lot of easier. Does anybody had some experience with presenting FAA SODA to EASA and getting rid of colour caused limitations on medical?
Do you guys have any kind of documents to confirm that statement?

tr0jan
2nd Sep 2019, 04:13
Anybody out there flying at EK can tell please what version of ishihara is used during their medical? Is it the standard 24 plate version used everywhere?

averdung
10th Jan 2020, 13:56
My AME in Munich accepted the LOE without complaint.

theringding
12th Jan 2020, 21:53
Hi, not sure if this is the right place to post this but I need some help!
i am currently an engineer at Gatwick and therefore have my airside driving permit. I am partially red/green colourblind but It’s not seen as an issue at Gatwick.
i have been offered a job at Heathrow, but am worried that their driving medicals may be more strict and I won’t be allowed a driving permit?
Has anyone had to deal with this before? I don’t want to go and accept this job offer if I will find out that I can’t drive at the airport a few weeks down the line!

cheers!!

Cajack
17th Jan 2020, 18:18
Hello guys,
I've read a bunch on this thread but I'm still curious about my situation. I've tried to get EASA Class 1 in two different AMEs, one with ishihara test 24 plates, the other with lantern test (I think!). However, after the doctors talked to eachother a lot, since I was at the limit, they decided to fail me.

Is it possible to get any form of CPL licence without night or are there any walkarounds so I could get a less privileged CPL with Class 1? I'm sorry if I don't know how to actually address this question, but I thought that I might find some answer here.

Thanks!

simone993
17th Jan 2020, 21:00
Hello,
So you failed ishiara and then lantern test? In which country? A bit more details can help to help you ;)

Cajack
18th Jan 2020, 08:05
Yes that is correct. Romania first, only with Ishihara test, then went to Prague where they had also some lantern test, but nobody spoke english at a level that I could really understand. However, after the test there they talked a lot and decided that I'm not up to the requirements.

Webby737
20th Jan 2020, 19:35
Hi theringding,

I did my airside driving medicals at both LHR & LGW and they where pretty much the same.
In both cases they gave me the licence as I could pass the lamp test.
This was about 20 years ago so I've no idea if they have changed much.

PS: LHR is quite a bit bigger than LGW, I managed to loose a B747 there one day !

Cajack
21st Jan 2020, 12:02
Regarding the CAD test in the UK,

If I hold a vaild Class 2 with VCL do I need to go through the process of SOLI change if I want a Class 1 from UK CAA? Maybe it's worth mentioning that I don't hold a PPL licence, just the medical. I really seem to struggle to understand who should go through that process. Thank you!

brissypilot
8th Mar 2020, 05:51
Meanwhile over in Australia and New Zealand, our aviation regulators have finally recognised than an operational assessment is the only true way of assessing whether a CVD pilot can competently perform their duties:

CASA changes colour vision policy (https://www.pprune.org/australia-new-zealand-pacific/630069-casa-changes-colour-vision-policy.html)

The CASA Briefing - February 2020 (https://www.casa.gov.au/publications-and-resources/publication/casa-briefing-february-2020)

A solution has been found to a somewhat thorny and long-running issue that is important to a group of pilots. The issue is colour vision deficiency and the way CASA manages safety related assessments as part of the medical certification process. Colour vision deficiency affects about 400 Australian pilots and a three-stage testing process has been in place for some time, with a pass at any stage allowing an unrestricted medical to be issued. Where all three tests are failed then a medical certificate can be issued subject to conditions.Research in recent years has shown relying on diagnostic tests alone may be unnecessarily limiting when considering the impact of colour vision deficiency on aviation safety. Advances in technology, operating techniques and human factors training can now mitigate many of the safety risks of colour vision deficiency. Technology to assist pilots has developed significantly and the impact of colour vision deficiency on aviation safety should take these changes into account. These factors have been recognised overseas, most recently in New Zealand where a new approach to colour vision deficiency came into effect in May 2019, which includes an operational colour vision assessment. This assessment comprises a ground-based assessment and an in-flight assessment which looks at a pilot’s ability to interpret visual information. A separate assessment is done for day flying and for night flying.

We have decided to adopt this approach to colour vision deficiency assessment and in the short term we will recognise the New Zealand operational colour vision assessment as an alternative to Australia’s current third level of testing. Work is already well underway on the development of an Australian operational test for colour vision deficiency by mid-2020. Any Australian pilots who wish to use the New Zealand assessment can do so now, although it will require travel to that country. CASA has carefully examined all relevant safety issues and believes this new approach offers a practical alternative assessment for colour vision deficient pilots. We have listened to the views of pilots and made judgements based on research and evidence.

Best wishes
Shane Carmody

BananaJoe320
15th Jun 2020, 07:41
Hello fellow aviators. I have a question for you and I want to hear your advice and opinion on the following case:
In 2017 I got a medical class 2 in Romania, but with VCL limitation, my colour perception was not good enough. Unfortunately I was very tired at the point of the exam, this worsened things.
In late 2019 I went to Hungary to obtain a Class 1 medical license. Ishihara tests did not went bad I got 14 out of 17 plates, but anomaloscope failed me. My AQ 3.1 result means a mild deuteranomaly, but the matching results were somehow out of the limits, I don't have a clear picture about the results.
EASA accepts also Lantern and CAD tests, but neither Romanian and Hungarian CAA's offer this option because theese tests are not available. Situation is, that my case was rejected by both authorities leaving me without further options. Romanian CAA told me I have the right to retake the exam in a state where extensive testing is available, but Austrian CAA told me that based on EU Regulation 1178/2011 I can't re-take a medical in another state, and I can't transfer my medical to them until it's rejected. This way i'm blocked.
Also a small problem might be, that I had a 4 hour long psychology test, was well tired and the results were unsatisfactory. I heard that failing psychology is not a big issue you can retake it appeal it. Some psychologysts ask you some questions, while others are really strict.
Because of the following results my medical 2 was revoked. Well, I'm not really sorry about it, as medical 2 would never help me to fulfill my dream to fly for an airline.

What is your opinion, what would be the next step to take? I'm thinking to look more at the rules, and if needed I would contact a lawyer to clarify and maybe send in an appeal to EASA on this case. It is very discriminative that we have same rules but I don't start with equal examination rights. I know a very similar case like mine, of a CC friend. Romanian CAA said that my chances are not looking promising. I know that takitng Lantern and CAD might not come with acceptable results, but I want to take every chance.

I can't say how important would be for me to have the chance to undergo extensive testing. I have my opinion on the color vision, I work in an A320 simualtor more then 2 years now. Based on colleagues and pilot's opinion my colour vision is perfect in every condition, I can identify colours on the instruments also outside. I know that in EASA rules are really tight, but I think they are unfair. Look how FAA or CASA handles theese cases...

aviator2345
16th Jun 2020, 13:50
Hi there
sorry to hear about your situation, I would say to post this on the Collective Colour Vision Thread 4 as you will get many more responses. I have quite a bit of experience regarding colour vision regulations and hope to help you. First thing states can apply different guidance material, here in the UK, unfortunately, we only accept the CAD test. This means you can gain a medical in one state and be denied in another. The best suggestion before the transfer your medical would be to ask the authority that you wish to transfer to, whether they could perform the colour vision assessment first but not as part of a medical, for example, if you choose a state with the lantern test and you passed you are then given two options. Either keep your licence in your current state and send them your result of a pass from the lantern test, if they include that tests as part of the guidance material you should be issued with a class 1, or you can have you're medical denied in your current state and transfer this over, do the new class 1 medical with the knowledge that you passed the colour vision testing and be approved by your new authority. I would highly suggest not doing the CAD test as this has many flaws. The Austrian CAA is correct in saying you cant transfer you're medical without it being denied first by the current authority, but as said because its denied in one state doesn't mean it will be denied in another as they all seem to have slightly different guidance material. You arent allowed two medical examinations in two different authorities at one time. There must be only one state of authority at a time. Have a good research into the tests try and find an authority that does that test and contact them. Hope that helps ! PM me if you have any more questions

aviator2345
16th Jun 2020, 14:15
The UK CAA is the most restrictive, each state has its own guidance material which is meant to follow EASAs, if you look on their website or contact the authority they can tell you what tests they accept. It is now the case you can be denied in one state but approved in another, the best suggestion would to look into the current testing options and try and find a place which has your most favorable option, however, I would highly suggest not doing the CAD test as its flawed.

aviator2345
16th Jun 2020, 14:16
Hi everyone I have completed my dissertation research on the UK CAAs colour vision regulation for commercial pilots and whether it's too restrictive and if so what sort of regulation should be used? It can be found under The leading-edge research and innovation section:https://www.airleague.co.uk/learning/
https://www.airleague.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2020/06/Dissertation-on-CAA-Colour-Vision-Regulation.pdf
Do let me know whether you have any questions.
I hope you find this a very useful source of information and research that is up to date, accurate and speaks the truth about the current regulations in place.
Cheers!

alekpilot
17th Jun 2020, 13:55
Great article and report!

Webby737
18th Jun 2020, 21:03
theringding

Hi, sorry I haven't replied earlier, I've just spotted your post.
I had my first eye test at LHR and (as predicted) failed the Ishihara test so I was given a lamp test and passed.
A couple of years later I transferred to LGW and did my eye test there, it was almost the same although the lamp test was slightly different.
This was about 20 years ago but I can't imagine it's changed too much. It used to be if you held an airside driving licence for either LHR or LGW you could drive at both airports.

Good Luck !

B*gger ! looks like I already replied to this one, that will teach me not to read the complete thread !
Sorry !

aviator2345
19th Jun 2020, 09:57
Thanks alekpilot !

gijoe
4th Jul 2020, 22:49
aviator2345

Very interesting paper - can you drop me a private message?

Michele Vella
31st Aug 2020, 20:31
Hi guys, I did a petition online for the EU peti committee to try to have similar colour vision regulations in Europe of those in USA and Australia to remove this discrimination for eu citizens and not rely on a CAD test that does not reproduce flight conditions. Attached find the link. Together we can make a difference. petition number is 0571/2020 (tel:0571/2020)

europarl.europa.eu/petitions/en/petition/content/0571%252F2020/html/Discrimination%2Bregarding%2BEASA%2Bcolour%2Bvision%2Bregula tions

BananaJoe320
1st Sep 2020, 12:26
I'm really happy to hear that! I tought I would initiate something similar if I fail CAD test too. Together we could make a change, a better system. As fas as I know this is how things changed in Australia too. In courts...

aviator2345
1st Sep 2020, 16:05
Hi Michele Vella, that a great move on trying to push for progression.

aviator2345
8th Nov 2020, 16:01
Hi Everyone
something very exciting is coming this week, this will hopefully push for change in Europe. I will post more information soon!

aviator2345
12th Nov 2020, 16:54
Exciting Announcement! ECDAA (The European Colour Deficient Aircrew Association) is live !

https://www.ecdaa.com (https://www.ecdaa.com/)/

I Co-founded ECDAA with a pilot from Italy and we have a panel of experienced commercial and GA pilots. We are always looking for individuals interested in joining the panel.

ECDAA is a non-profit group in which CVD pilots have come together to create awareness and change within Europe on colour vision regulation for aircrew. We support and provide advice for anyone facing medical denials or loss of licenses due to the restrictive regulation currently in place. We work together to push for change within EASA/UK towards a fairer more practical method of testing that will stop the discrimination of many pilots and high-quality candidates. These testing methods are already being used in New Zealand, Australia, USA, and more where change has been made.

We are going to be running live webinars, forums, news articles, information blogs, and much more.
We welcome you to join us today with a free account and become part of this great community!

Parkbremse
25th Aug 2021, 07:08
Good morning,

resurrecting this old thread to get some advice on an issue that I just found out that might have an impact on me (and probably others as well) due to Brexit and new UK CAA licenses.

I´m a deutanomalous pilot who got his initial medical 20 years ago after a passing Holmes-Wright lantern examination at the UK CAA in LGW. Fast forward till today after flying 10000h on Boeings and whatnot I still find myself out of a job thanks to COVID but might have an opportunity again in the UK where I worked the last 5 years. Problem is due to brexit I will need to validate my EASA license in the UK with a defined process that requires me to apply for an inital Class I medical in the UK. Looking up the requirements for CVD pilots its made very clear that lantern tests are not accepted and the means of secondary testing are anomaloscope and CAD test.

However, the regulations say the following on the transition:

Non-EU licence holders and EU licence holders who have never held a UK-issued licence
Applicants must apply for an initial medical certificate of the appropriate class at an AeMC for Classes 1&3 or an AME for Class 2 and LAPL. (Please note revalidation standards of the applicable class may apply to applicants who already hold the applicable licence (e.g. Class 1 for CPL/ATPL)).

So apparently revalidation standards may apply for license holders, which would not require me to take color vision testing as it is according to regulation "on clinical indication". This would be crucial to me as I know that I will not pass the CAD and probably not the anomaloscope.

Now, how best to spin this? Does anybody here have any experience already with this process? Would be happy to get some advice or pointers who I should maybe talk to before starting the process and scheduling a booking for the Class I.

Thanks already everyone.

aviator2345
25th Aug 2021, 18:21
Hello Parkbremse
Such a good example of the ridiculous situations being created by the UK CAA. I think from what I understand of your situation , if the UK issued a class 1 medical before on the basis of a passed HWL then to have it revalidated it will not require you to redo any colour vision test as the HWL pass should be on record and you have no clinical indication that would require you to be retested .

I would also recommend having a look at ecdaa.com , someone with a great amount of aviation experience like yourself would be a great addition to the panel. Plus there are loads of useful blogs on colour vision testing and regualtions making it easier to intepret and understand and a dedicated forum where members can interact .

Let me know if you have any further questions I'll be more than happy to help!

ThirtyTwentyTen
30th Aug 2021, 12:03
Parkbremse

You should be fine. As you state, revalidation standards would apply and for revalidation there is no requirement for CVD testing unless clinically indicated.

My advice: if for whatever reason an AME attempts to undertake CVD testing, I would politely decline and clarify the requirements with them.

I am in a similar position to yourself having passed lantern testing many years ago and flying commercially in the UK ever since.

ols500
2nd Sep 2021, 14:09
Hello, im 17yo male, wanting to become a pilot. Failed the CAD test in the UK but know I could become a pilot commercially in America if I pass the OCVT+MFT. I know some places in the UK conduct FAA medicals, however, does anywhere in the UK do the OCVT+MFT, or does that involve flying to America. I plan on starting my PPL next year and after completion try and take the OCVT+MFT tests to get an unrestricted class 1 from the FAA. Currently, I can get a CAA Class 2 medical with the restriction of "day time only" flying and possibly IR(r) rating.

Sip477
10th Mar 2022, 16:11
Hi,

First of all, my apologies if this is not the right place to post. I found no other posts with the same situation.

I live in Belgium, Europe. Last year I submitted my request for an EASA Initial Medical Class 1.
The examination was going very well, until I had to do the Ishihara Test. Turned out I have been colorblind for 25 years(!) without noticing anything.

As a result I received a Class 2 with restriction "Night Flying". Since I am aiming for commercial aviation, I would like to upgrade my Class 2 to a Class 1.
I already did the additional tests of EASA. The AME said that my score was just under the minimum requirements.
The AME told me my only options left are the OCVT (Operational Color Vision Test) in the US or give up the dream.
My concern now is: Can I, as an European, obtain an FAA license Medical Class 1? If yes, where exactly do I start?

TL;DR Failed initial Medical Class 1 (colorblindness) and received Class 2 with restriction "Night Flying". Would like to upgrade to Class 1.

Thank you in advance for your reply.

Kind regards,
Sip

irish_kiwi
10th Mar 2022, 22:09
Hi,

First of all, my apologies if this is not the right place to post. I found no other posts with the same situation.

I live in Belgium, Europe. Last year I submitted my request for an EASA Initial Medical Class 1.
The examination was going very well, until I had to do the Ishihara Test. Turned out I have been colorblind for 25 years(!) without noticing anything.

As a result I received a Class 2 with restriction "Night Flying". Since I am aiming for commercial aviation, I would like to upgrade my Class 2 to a Class 1.
I already did the additional tests of EASA. The AME said that my score was just under the minimum requirements.
The AME told me my only options left are the OCVT (Operational Color Vision Test) in the US or give up the dream.
My concern now is: Can I, as an European, obtain an FAA license Medical Class 1? If yes, where exactly do I start?

TL;DR Failed initial Medical Class 1 (colorblindness) and received Class 2 with restriction "Night Flying". Would like to upgrade to Class 1.

Thank you in advance for your reply.

Kind regards,
Sip

Im a medical examiner in Australia, so can't comment on the exact details in the EU.

The Ishihara is a screening test only, it doesn't quantify the level of colour deficiency.

Depending on local regulations, you should be able to undertake a Farnsworth Lantern test (or similar) and if you fail that, a CAD test. Some jurisdictions also allow an occupational assessment (which means you go and play with the lights at night time).

Have a look at YouTube for Farnsworth tests for reference. Check with your examiner about the actual local regulations for subsequent testing on failing the Ishihara. If they dont have the answer, they should be able to research it more appropriately on your behalf.

Regards

Irish Kiwi

Sip477
11th Mar 2022, 10:44
Im a medical examiner in Australia, so can't comment on the exact details in the EU.

The Ishihara is a screening test only, it doesn't quantify the level of colour deficiency.

Depending on local regulations, you should be able to undertake a Farnsworth Lantern test (or similar) and if you fail that, a CAD test. Some jurisdictions also allow an occupational assessment (which means you go and play with the lights at night time).

Have a look at YouTube for Farnsworth tests for reference. Check with your examiner about the actual local regulations for subsequent testing on failing the Ishihara. If they dont have the answer, they should be able to research it more appropriately on your behalf.

Regards

Irish Kiwi

Hi Irish,

I did the additional tests after the Ishihara Plate test. This included the anomaloscope test, CAD test and Farnsworth Lantern test.
Unfortunately, I did not meet the minimum requirements. I contacted the AME and my only options 2 options were to do an OCVT or give up the dream.

I never heard about "occupational assessment" though. Could you care to elaborate?

Kind regards,
Sip

Sip477
14th Apr 2022, 11:39
Dear all,

I have been taling with 2 AME's the past weeks after failing the additional colour vision tests in Europe (EASA). To summarize, they told me an upgrade from class 2 to class 1 is not possible and I am definitive "colour unsafe".
I have been thinking to go to another AME for a second opinion, but I doubt about the outcome.

Am I out of options or are there still any left?

Kind regards,
Sip

Jakeb
3rd Jun 2022, 23:39
Hi all,

I know I’m late to the forum but I suppose it might be worth the shot.

13 years ago I was told I could never become a pilot, this didn’t seem like very much to a 5 year old boy at the time - however growing up as a young kid, it made an impact. This is because I am ‘colour blind’.

Growing up as a child and to where I am now, studying for A-Levels, my colour vision has never really affected me in my day-to-day life, other than the odd wrong coloured pencil in school. Nothing major and therefore I believe I’ve always seen myself as being able to do things ‘normal colour’ sighted people can do. Until now…

Over the past few months I have began to research endless options of gaining a commercial license and putting the same old question into Google time and time again: “Can you be colourblind and become a pilot?” After scrolling through countless articles and websites I came across the CAA’s medical requirements in order to gain a Class 1 Medical. “Applicants who fail to pass in the Ishihara test shall undergo further colour perception testing to establish whether they are colour safe.” Having always known I’d fail the Ishihara plates, this sentence gave me a glimmer of hope, knowing that it may be possible to pursue my life-long dream.

I researched and scoured the internet until I found my local AME. I contacted him and he directed me Dr Adrian Chorley of Aviation Vision Services. I made the long journey down to London to have the CAD test done.

After the test I came out anxious and awaited the news. To pass the CAD I needed to get either <6 on the red-green or <12 on the yellow-blue, any higher on either one and it would be a fail.

He span the computer around and I saw “certification: fail” written across the page. My heart sunk and I knew that this was my long childhood dream over.

My results were:

Red-green = 19.94
Yellow-blue = 0.69

This was a total and complete shock to me. My colour vision does not really affect me in my daily life and I never thought it would be as bad as it was when coming to testing.

I still struggle to get my head around it as I can clearly distinguish the red and white of the PAPI lights, the white, red and green light gun used by air traffic control, the various colours of runway/ taxiway lighting and finally the various lights used on the flight deck. I can identify all the colours in every condition including day, night, rain, sun etc

This is a really limiting test which severely hinders people, like myself, who can recognise the colours used in aviation but cannot pass the CAD test. Personally, there needs to be a test which replicates the same lighting used in aviation which can be used to test people, therefore not limiting 1 in 10 men.

This is gutting news and I’m trying to find ways around this whether that be another test etc.

Ive heard OMLs are something which can be added to a license to work only in a multi-crew environment, could anybody shed some light onto this being applied to myself as a CVD person.

Any advice, guidance or help would be extremely appreciated from everyone and would mean a lot.

Many thanks,
Jake

ols500
14th Jul 2022, 17:03
Hi all,

I know I’m late to the forum but I suppose it might be worth the shot.

13 years ago I was told I could never become a pilot, this didn’t seem like very much to a 5 year old boy at the time - however growing up as a young kid, it made an impact. This is because I am ‘colour blind’.

Growing up as a child and to where I am now, studying for A-Levels, my colour vision has never really affected me in my day-to-day life, other than the odd wrong coloured pencil in school. Nothing major and therefore I believe I’ve always seen myself as being able to do things ‘normal colour’ sighted people can do. Until now…

Over the past few months I have began to research endless options of gaining a commercial license and putting the same old question into Google time and time again: “Can you be colourblind and become a pilot?” After scrolling through countless articles and websites I came across the CAA’s medical requirements in order to gain a Class 1 Medical. “Applicants who fail to pass in the Ishihara test shall undergo further colour perception testing to establish whether they are colour safe.” Having always known I’d fail the Ishihara plates, this sentence gave me a glimmer of hope, knowing that it may be possible to pursue my life-long dream.

I researched and scoured the internet until I found my local AME. I contacted him and he directed me Dr Adrian Chorley of Aviation Vision Services. I made the long journey down to London to have the CAD test done.

After the test I came out anxious and awaited the news. To pass the CAD I needed to get either <6 on the red-green or <12 on the yellow-blue, any higher on either one and it would be a fail.

He span the computer around and I saw “certification: fail” written across the page. My heart sunk and I knew that this was my long childhood dream over.

My results were:

Red-green = 19.94
Yellow-blue = 0.69

This was a total and complete shock to me. My colour vision does not really affect me in my daily life and I never thought it would be as bad as it was when coming to testing.

I still struggle to get my head around it as I can clearly distinguish the red and white of the PAPI lights, the white, red and green light gun used by air traffic control, the various colours of runway/ taxiway lighting and finally the various lights used on the flight deck. I can identify all the colours in every condition including day, night, rain, sun etc

This is a really limiting test which severely hinders people, like myself, who can recognise the colours used in aviation but cannot pass the CAD test. Personally, there needs to be a test which replicates the same lighting used in aviation which can be used to test people, therefore not limiting 1 in 10 men.

This is gutting news and I’m trying to find ways around this whether that be another test etc.

Ive heard OMLs are something which can be added to a license to work only in a multi-crew environment, could anybody shed some light onto this being applied to myself as a CVD person.

Any advice, guidance or help would be extremely appreciated from everyone and would mean a lot.

Many thanks,
Jake

Hi Jake. So sorry no one replied to you...
It really feels as if we are alone in this world. Such a niche community and only if YOU are affected does it result in you caring. Normal colour vision people get it easy. The 90%...

I too failed the CAD, protan i scored 17.40. HOWEVER, i passed the Farnsworth D-15. I beg EVERYONE who has failed the cad to go to city university in Londom to get this test conducted. If you pass YOU can hold an UNRESTRICTED class 1 medical for Transport Canada. This means, yes you can fly for an airline! This saved my dreams of becoming an airline pilot. Within a 6 month period, i had gone from "what the hell am i going to do with my life" and praying for the CAA to change the laws to being enrolled in a canadain flight school for a PPL+CPL+IFR+INSTRUCTOR etc... the full package. They also offer this Farnsworth D-15 test in New Zealand. BUT, over in NZ and AUS they have a practical test called the OCVA. Look into this as well.

I bloody hope progress is made in changing the colour vision laws globally. Starting with the CAA and EASA. If the CAA or EASA change them, others will follow.

The FAA also offer a lot more testing options. A variety of strange colour tests. God knows where you could get them done. God knowns if I or any moderately colour blind person could pass them. They also offer an OCVT+MFT test. This is a one time pass event.

This infuriates me, if you can't already tell. For the colour blind individuals out here it feels as if we are stuck in a well with no one giving us a rope up.

Please try the D-15.

Kind regards, Ollie Seaward

HenryG
5th Mar 2023, 10:39
Hi Jake. So sorry no one replied to you...
It really feels as if we are alone in this world. Such a niche community and only if YOU are affected does it result in you caring. Normal colour vision people get it easy. The 90%...

I too failed the CAD, protan i scored 17.40. HOWEVER, i passed the Farnsworth D-15. I beg EVERYONE who has failed the cad to go to city university in Londom to get this test conducted. If you pass YOU can hold an UNRESTRICTED class 1 medical for Transport Canada. This means, yes you can fly for an airline! This saved my dreams of becoming an airline pilot. Within a 6 month period, i had gone from "what the hell am i going to do with my life" and praying for the CAA to change the laws to being enrolled in a canadain flight school for a PPL+CPL+IFR+INSTRUCTOR etc... the full package. They also offer this Farnsworth D-15 test in New Zealand. BUT, over in NZ and AUS they have a practical test called the OCVA. Look into this as well.

I bloody hope progress is made in changing the colour vision laws globally. Starting with the CAA and EASA. If the CAA or EASA change them, others will follow.

The FAA also offer a lot more testing options. A variety of strange colour tests. God knows where you could get them done. God knowns if I or any moderately colour blind person could pass them. They also offer an OCVT+MFT test. This is a one time pass event.

This infuriates me, if you can't already tell. For the colour blind individuals out here it feels as if we are stuck in a well with no one giving us a rope up.

Please try the D-15.

Kind regards, Ollie SeawardHi Ollie

Not sure if this thread is still alive but it’s great to hear that you have had some success getting an unrestricted medical for Canada, I hope the training is going well.

I am in a very similar situation to you, I failed both the Ishihara and CAD test 5 years ago, and at that point, I pretty much gave up on the dream. Having seen the news regarding the OCVT in the US, Aus and NZ I have begun looking into the idea of training/working abroad. After reading your post I’m also interested in Canada and I had a few questions.

Firstly, were you able to show the Canadian authorities the D-15 result from City University or did you have to retake the D-15 in Canada as part of the initial class 1 medical there?

Secondly, are you planning on training in Canada and then returning to the UK to work or will you be restricted to working from Canada for the rest of your piloting career? As I understand it, returning to the UK to work would mean validating/converting to a UK CAA medical/license and possibly having to take the CAD test again or be restricted. So far I’m struggling to find any information about whether the UK CAA will respect your Canadian unrestricted class 1 status without re-testing colour vision.

It would be great to get your take on these issues as it sounds like you have experienced it first-hand. Feel free to drop me a pm if you’d prefer.

Thanks and kind regards,

Henry

FlybywireFamily
4th Aug 2023, 16:29
Hi! I have problem with ishihara. But I can passed the lantern exam without a problem and hold class 1 with my country. Any info about the medical color vision test in Etihad/Emirates?

Hitman_86
29th Feb 2024, 02:51
send me your whatsapp # via pm. Thanks
Hello, I'm newbie here. Can you add me on somehow?