PDA

View Full Version : The "RAT ROUTE"

crystalballwannabe
12th Jun 2012, 06:50
If AIG (The holding company for British Airways & Iberia) were to take the 18 percent of QF that would take it up to the 49% percent foreign ownership cap, could they start a "RAT ROUTE" to London via the Seychelles?

A two hour connection would be competitive to Emirates and Etihad through the sandpit and for those who wanted to stopover, would make a nice "sea change" from the Asian and Middle East gateways.

[Need a boffin to work out if the Runway is long enough and over what countries a great circle would take you over??????]

Angle of Attack
12th Jun 2012, 07:18
Frograt route would be a good description. Even though it is a far more desirable place than the sandpit, it doesnt offer any real useful connections like Dubai does, after all you can pretty much fly to any city in Europe from the Pit.

VH-Cheer Up
12th Jun 2012, 07:21
Runway data here (http://worldaerodata.com/wad.cgi?runway=SE8126331) looks like 9800 feet TORA, 8800 feet LDA both ways fitted with ILS and a few obstacles.

fatbus
12th Jun 2012, 07:56
"London via the Seychelles" , have you been to Seychelles? one diversion and the whole plan goes for S..T.

crystalballwannabe
12th Jun 2012, 08:36
What was the alternate carried for Harare?

What could you carry as an alternate TOPD seychelles in the 400ER?

If old things became new, what about a hub strategy through Bahrain?

Just throwing a few idea's around.

crystalballwannabe
12th Jun 2012, 08:59
Could Virgin try the seychelles route to London with the VA 777-300ER carrying Nairobi as an alternate? Nairobi is already serviced by the mothership.

Tankengine
12th Jun 2012, 09:42
Extend MALE!:ok:

crystalballwannabe
12th Jun 2012, 09:49
With Emirates ruling out a stake in Qantas, almost nothing has been mentioned regarding Gulf Air. It seems to flying under the radar.

It is a one world partner and would give Qantas a worldwide network through the middle east.

British Airways, Iberia, Gulf Air, Qantas - Now we're talking.

They could muster up the cash for the 18 percent stake.

Point of interest: IAG have stated words to the effect that regulatory ownership issues makes consolidations difficult at the present time.

neville_nobody
12th Jun 2012, 10:06
A two hour connection would be competitive to Emirates and Etihad through the sandpit and for those who wanted to stopover, would make a nice "sea change" from the Asian and Middle East gateways

Why would you bother when its almost 1000NM more than the Great Circle route through Asia?

virginexcess
12th Jun 2012, 10:10
Do you know anything about Gulf Air ?:confused::confused::confused:

crystalballwannabe
12th Jun 2012, 10:28
Safety, fun, the road less travelled.

The PRC have been known to shoot down aircraft.

Refer to the Cathay Pacific DH4 in 1954.

Times have changed, but its always nice to know you have options.

Last time I checked 1000NM in the cruise doesn't burn that much extra juice - esp if you have 2 engines not 4 and would add only 2 hours time wise. Maintenance, crew would add to this I guess.

Praise Jebus
12th Jun 2012, 11:21
Crystal, a hub works because you can fly one jet load in and the pax then scatter onto all your connections to points various. If all going to LHR then what's the point, it's still just one stop... In fact if you are looking to compete against EK why not fly via Dubai...it's open skies....AJ should start JetStar ME....

crystalballwannabe
12th Jun 2012, 11:32
happy to learn...

Note they have had two crashes.

donpizmeov
12th Jun 2012, 12:02
No, really its a great idea to fly long range to a grubby single runway island in the middle of the ocean. Mombasa as an alternate...what could go wrong? Luckily the lack of pax appeal would allow you to carry the fuel required. I am sure AJ will be all over this one.

The Don

ernestkgann
12th Jun 2012, 12:08
They should have setup QF Dubai in 2000. Wouldn't have needed local sponsorship to run it from a free zone. Two things would have worked against it; Dixon believed EK was a flash in the pan and the pilots would have lobbied against the basing of crews O/S.
That horse has run I reckon, though strange things might happen in a QF/EK tie up.

crystalballwannabe
12th Jun 2012, 12:24
Suspect Nairobi would be preferable to Mombassa and the Alternate would be predicated on that. Understand that it would be really tight on fuel.

In the other direction - What is carried for Santiago, Buenous Aires?

HF3000
12th Jun 2012, 14:53
Quote from crystalballwannabe from another thread:
Get back to me when you understand economics, geopolitics, economic warfare, have an MBA in business management as a minimum and yes have studied companies like Sony, Kodak and Enron. A little foreign policy and corporate law both domestically and internationally wouldn't hurt either.

My, oh my... and then you come up with something like this! Those MBA's are gold, pure gold :D

I know, maybe the Seychelles would be a good place to start a full service low cost carrier. We could call it Red-S...

L1011
12th Jun 2012, 17:18
Go via Colombo. Sri Lankan just joined Oneworld. Sydney, Melbourne, Brsbane via CMB to London, Frankfurt, Paris, Rome.
Exact midpoint between Aus and London. Good airport, not much weather, close alternates. No brainer really.

crystalballwannabe
12th Jun 2012, 21:57
This question was posed in response to the announcement this week of the "Canton Route". Daily connections to London through Ganzhou.

If BA where to fly down from London and QF where to fly in from Sydney they could both refuel, swap pax, and head back to London and Sydney. For those that wanted to stay, would be a nice stopover. Nice place for a crew layover as well. Also provides a "hedge" against flying over the middle east.

Once upon a time QF pilots could land a 747 in Wellington (Short, x-winds, windshear) maybe they are losing their edge, thought the Seychelles would be a sinch. And remember you don't have to ditch in the ocean with the auto land button feature - Might have to brush up on that one again:-P

Livs Hairdresser
12th Jun 2012, 22:13
Okay, good luck with your slow descent into madness. Hope it works out for you ;)

Spinnerhead
12th Jun 2012, 23:26
Once upon a time QF pilots could land a 747 in Wellington (Short, x-winds, windshear) maybe they are losing their edge

I believe that was a 747SP. How about you google the porformance difference!

crystalballwannabe
13th Jun 2012, 00:02
The SP, the ER seems like the company has some experience with some hotted up versions. Maybe if the first 15 787's go to Jetstar, mainline could get another "performer" version.

blow.n.gasket
13th Jun 2012, 00:25
My god crystalballwannabe, stop mixing up your coolaid with bong water.
Sonic crusers, Sychelles stop overs,Ganzhou stop overs ,not knowing the difference between an SP and an ER etc. Talk about shooting the breeze.

V-Jet
13th Jun 2012, 00:38
CWB is displaying an extraordinary yet eerily familiar understanding of aviation matters.

It seems to me he might easily be Joyce, Dixon or Clifford. Guys like that who _really_ know and understand how an airline works - able to get the best out of it and have the instinctive knowledge that most of us simply do not posess.

ejectx3
13th Jun 2012, 00:56
Troll pure and simple. Ignore...