PDA

View Full Version : Upgrading the HDD in WesternDigital MyBook external HDD?

Rhino power
11th Jun 2012, 22:40
Evening all, I have a Western Digital MyBook Essential 250gb external HDD and i was wondering if it is possible to upgrade the HDD to a larger capacity? There doesn't appear to be any easy way to gain access to the enclosure i.e no visible screws or catches securing the cover. So i wondered if anyone knows if an upgrade is possible with this model (WDG1U2500E) or has any experience of doing so and what might the maximum capacity of upgrade be?

-RP

SpringHeeledJack
12th Jun 2012, 07:18
To be honest if you can't see any way in that doesn't involve possible damage, then why not just get a 1TB or 2TB WD external hard drive. Last time I looked the South American river website had them for +-£100. It's always nice to re-use rather than lose stuff, but sometimes the planned obsolescence is hard to beat.

SHJ

Milo Minderbinder
12th Jun 2012, 07:25
you usually can get into then using a fine knife blade and prising the lugs back, but normally the case gets damaged in the process. But why bother?
The price differential between an external and internal drive is small enough to make doing it pointless

Ancient Observer
12th Jun 2012, 10:39
It might be worth keeping an eye on Maplin. I was wondering about some sort of upgrade to my rescue hard drive when Maplin did an offer on a v well known brand of hard drives, so I just bought a new one.. Currently 2Tb of hard drive of that brand is UKP99.99. Some time soon it'll come down in an offer.

mixture
12th Jun 2012, 11:23
Rhino,

Try here (http://lmgtfy.com/?q=western+digital+my+book+open+case)

Rhino power
12th Jun 2012, 15:44
Thankyou for the replies, all greatly appreciated! mixture, the link you provided was spot, thanks!

-RP