PDA

View Full Version : TV alert (N.America)

PaperTiger
1st Apr 2002, 03:49
Next Dateline NBC program:
TUESDAY, APRIL 2 - 10:00 PM ET
On a wing and a prayer
A routine flight suddenly becomes an emergency unlike any seen before--miles out to sea, their jumbo jet glides with no power and no place to land. Then, something happens that makes aviation history.Air Transat in the Azores. Usual technically inaccurate fluff I expect, but you never know.....

411A
1st Apr 2002, 21:46
....well,it was an Airboos, was it not?:rolleyes:

Cyclic Hotline
1st Apr 2002, 23:25
Hero pilot goes on sick leave

30 March 2001

MONTREAL (CP) — The Air Transat pilot who glided a crippled jet to a safe landing in the Azores last year has taken short-term medical leave, the airline said.

An airline spokesperson said he didn't know when or whether Captain Robert Piché would resume flying and refused to reveal the nature of the pilot's illness.

"It's up to Piché's physician to determine when he will return to work," Michel Lemay said Thursday. He said the airline doesn't reveal any personal data on its employees.

He said Piché, whose dead-stick landing saved the lives of 291 passengers and 13 crew, was withdrawn from Air Transat active service at the end of February. Piché has often denied he's a hero for the episode when he piloted the Airbus A330 to an airfield in the Azores after both engines cut out for lack of fuel.

The plane was two-thirds of the way through its Toronto-to-Lisbon flight when a fuel leak was detected.

Last fall it was revealed that Piché had been found guilty in 1983 of trafficking marijuana. Piché called the conviction "a mistake made in my youth."

AtlPax
3rd Apr 2002, 03:11
Hmm, I guess not too bad by "Dateline NBC" standards.

Great courage showed by both crew and pax.

I'm under the impression the RAT will power U/C but not flaps?
:confused:

Hand Solo
3rd Apr 2002, 21:36
??? If its anything like the mini-busses then the landing gear freefalls and the slats only are powered by the RAT.