PDA

View Full Version : BBC website 'blocked' in Firefox but not IE.

G-CPTN
8th Jun 2012, 00:04
I cannot access BBC - Homepage (http://www.bbc.co.uk) and derivatives thereof using Firefox13.0 - something that has just occurred during this session, (even though I have a window open with BBC - 5 Live - Live Video Cam (http://www.bbc.co.uk/5live/webcam/videocam/) operating normally).
Using IE9 there is no problem, but Firefox 13.0 is just timing out (no messages, just a blank (white) screen.

I haven't yet rebooted, but does anyone have any explanation or suggestions?

I've tried my bookmarks (www,bbc.co.uk/news) and URLs gleaned from Googoo searches - all without success.

I've cleared the bbc.co.uk cookie - no change in the situation.

Saab Dastard
8th Jun 2012, 00:11
Have you re-booted now?

FF12 has no problem with BBC right now.

SD

Milo Minderbinder
8th Jun 2012, 00:23
Corrupt file cache
Clear it, shut Firefox and try again
No probs with the site here

crewmeal
8th Jun 2012, 05:20
And upgrade to version 13.

green granite
8th Jun 2012, 07:09
Unless you work off line then you can set FireFox to clear history and the cache when it closes, it's under Tools>options>security tab, tick the 'clear history on exit' box and then go to advanced and tick the boxes for the things to clear, if you use auto logins don't tick the cookies, the active logins or the data boxes.

BOAC
8th Jun 2012, 08:11
And upgrade to version 13. - could be in line for a Darwin award:ugh:

G-CPTN
8th Jun 2012, 08:12
Rebooting Firefox has cleared the problem.

Strange - I wonder what was causing it . . .

G-CPTN
15th Jul 2012, 08:44
This has just occurred again - BBC News derivatives timing out.

I cleared the BBC cookies in Firefox to no avail.

At first I associated it with the recent BBC problems, but, on searching for whether others were experiencing the same 'lock-out' I happened upon this thread and have rebooted both Firefox and my computer and access seems to have been restored.

As I regularly (and frequently) refer to the BBC News website this was a major annoyance.

Anyone able to provide an explanation?

What does rebooting do that clearing cookies doesn't?

Oh - and I'm using Firefox 13 . . .

Milo Minderbinder
15th Jul 2012, 08:46
its probably clearing / refreshing the cache thats clearing the problem
Nothing to do with cookies

Phalconphixer
15th Jul 2012, 10:30
I could be totally wrong here but just hazarding a guess, it might be worth checking that your Flash Player is up to date... latest version is 11.3.300.265. (If you need to download this from the Adobe site make sure you uncheck the Mcaffee download tick box.. otherwise you'll get that too...)

FF v13 does have some incompatibility issues with Adobe Flash Player and Java. FF v13.0.1 was supposed to sort these out but my experience, is that there a still a few problems to be addressed...

pp