PDA

View Full Version : sound loss on win 2000

signeti
31st Mar 2002, 22:49
i have started using WIN 2000 pro , and since i loaded it , i have lost all sound , if i check , it tells me that i need a media controller ,if i use the FAQ and problem wizard it tells me that i dont have sound card or that it is not working properly , HOWEVER i dont have a sound card , i have onboard sound , which is obviously not being detected ...i ran WIN XP pro only a few weeks ago and there were no problem with sound, so does anyone have any ideas what the story is ??????????
i have tried using windows update to find the " MEDIA CONTROLLER" , but there is none available....
ta

What_does_this_button_do?
1st Apr 2002, 05:49
Go to the Motherboard manufacturers home page and download the driver from there - that should help.

B

Caslance
1st Apr 2002, 06:29
It sounds to me like "What_does_this_button_do?" has got it about right.

Downloading the latest drivers for your motherboard's chipset might well do the trick. These are usually quite easy to install once you've downloaded them.

You might also want to just make sure that your mobo's on-board sound is still enabled in the BIOS. Your motherboard manual will show you how to do this. If you don't have the manual, you should be able to download it from the manufacturer's website.

Just one thing - how come you went back from Win XP to Win2K? Seems a bit of a retrograde motion to me!:confused:

signeti
1st Apr 2002, 17:12
thanks guys
as it turns out , just out of curiosity , i reloaded the MB CD that i got with my comp and that did the trick , dunno why it had to be reloaded but hey it works now...
i went back to 2000 cos XP didnt recognise my cd burners and i didnt fancy buying new ones
but i may have another go at gettting drivers for that soon , so i'll probably put XP back on again
being unemployed is great , u have so much time to dick around with computers :D