PDA

View Full Version : Where have all the Cats' Eyes Gone?

27mm
7th Jun 2012, 15:00
Here in deepest darkest Norfolk, roadsigns which state "No Road Studs" are appearing frequently; the erstwhile Cats' Eyes having been removed. What is the reason for removing them?

Milo Minderbinder
7th Jun 2012, 15:09
removed in preparation for the road getting tarred and chipped
Its getting close to summer, tourist season, so the county councils are about to embark on their annual campaign of road rage generation. The more catseyes they have ripped out, the more road they can tar

lomapaseo
7th Jun 2012, 15:09
too many blind cats running into trees and needing seeing eye dogs to even get arround nowdays

Mike X
7th Jun 2012, 15:24
Cats assholes would be more effective.

skydiver69
7th Jun 2012, 16:53
Eastern Europeans have eaten them.

Loose rivets
7th Jun 2012, 16:53
Stretch of the A12 fazes me. The good old reflectors, with wiping eyelids, have been replaced by LEDs. Trouble is, presumably to save power, they flicker. I don't like it. :uhoh:

Oh, and another thing: My first recollection of a British gentleman with a fine Rolls Royce (one of the last with big headlights.) was the inventor of the eyelids. It was said he got a h'penny per cat's eye for his patent.

____________________________________________________________ _________________________________________

Loose Rivets has edited this; Just thought you'd like to know.

Milo Minderbinder
7th Jun 2012, 17:03
"Trouble is, presumable to save power, they flicker. I don't like it. "

wait till they start making large scale use of motorway lights which only flick on when they sense oncoming headlights.....thats going to severely disorient some people. The technology has been around for ten years or more - its only a matter of time before it goes mainstream

eticket
7th Jun 2012, 17:07
WICKER'S WORLD (THE CATS EYES MAN) PART ONE - YouTube

WICKER'S WORLD (THE CATS EYES MAN) PART TWO - YouTube

ChrisVJ
7th Jun 2012, 17:13
I do miss cat's eyes.

Here in Canada they seem to think that glass paint or stupid little stuck on reflectors which don't last are all that is needed.

Remember driving down a newly minted bit of A1 dual carriageway in a Mk X Jag at well over 100 MPH with the cat's eyes reflecting into the distance. You could never drive like that here, maybe that is why the speed limit is a paltry 50 MPH (80Km/hr) on almost all our roads.

Milo Minderbinder
7th Jun 2012, 17:26
"Mk X Jag at well over 100 MPH "

How many gallons per mile would that tank drink at that speed? They were enormous.

I remember a report from years ago of a drunk driver taking one down a village street in Somerset and managing to wipe out something like 50 cars parked on both sides of the road.......the Mk X was simply too wide to go down the road - but he tried!

Checkboard
7th Jun 2012, 17:49
Cats assholes would be more effective.

You'd need twice as many cats.

DX Wombat
7th Jun 2012, 18:12
http://thecatsdiary.typepad.com/.a/6a0133f3617f23970b015390e47159970b-pi

Also see here (http://www.flickr.com/photos/sequella/532266310/) - :D

Loose rivets
7th Jun 2012, 22:02
eticket, thanks for posting that. Alan Wicker certainly didn't care what he asked!

I recall the man when he was younger I suppose. Didn't imagine him like that, though I do remember the white hat and jacket. I'd love to know what the other Rolls was like, just to test my memory.

The MK X wasn't too bad on fuel. Overall, driven quite hard, it would turn out about 15 mpg. The MK IX 13, MK IIs c 19, and E-Type the best, comfortably into the 20s. All from memory.

The X and the E-Type had independent rear suspension. What an advance that was in its day. It's laughable, but here, Cadillac and no doubt many other cars, were still using a solid back axle in the mid 90s.

Lon More
7th Jun 2012, 22:15
When I first moved to the continent, in 1970 it was a shock that there were almost no cats' eyes anywhere. Of course the lighting on Belgian motorways turned night into day until the mid 1980s.

JWP1938
9th Jun 2012, 17:37
I loved the old Ken Dodd joke, years ago, when he told about Percy whatsisname that invented catseyes through seeing a cat walking towards him. He said that, if the cat had been walking away instead, then he would have invented the pencil sharpener. :sad:

waveskimmer
9th Jun 2012, 17:54
Where have all the Cats' Eyes Gone?

Idiot EU directive # 45,000,000,000,000 and 62, (since these aids to road safety are considered by the Nazi policy makers of said body to be misleading and non factual,in that they were not gouged out of felines,therefor they are to be removed pending advice as to an alternative title being provided by an unelected commitee of dodgy lawers,at the cost of millione of euros.

(this will only apply to the UK,as they are the only ones daft enough to comply) :E

ChrisVJ
9th Jun 2012, 23:03
Wasn't my car and I could not have afforded to fill it in those days. I don't care what the company claimed, I think we were lucky to get 10 MPG.

Eventually my parents separated and my mother kept the car when she moved to a London flat. It had a car lift and the Jag touched both sides going in and coming out.

It was, however, absolutely steady on the road at any speed and a very nice drive.