PDA

View Full Version : Egpyt Air Overrun??

Foxcotte
6th Jun 2012, 08:31
JKIA has been closed for a few hours this morning - apparently Egypt Air overran the runway. I doubt any major issue - more like a wheel 'fell' off the tarmac edge or something. But does anyone else have any information? :confused::ouch:

kotakota
6th Jun 2012, 09:10
Just received this 'report' :-

' At about 0035Z. A320, off the right side during landing, fast and and long, not take off, all wheels in the dirt. PAX not evacuated, steps brought out to runway, bus to the terminal. Minimal drama, great confusion as crew requested a " Follow me car and a tow bar". Airport was closed and remains so pending arrival of accident investigation team. Wonders of single runway ops. '

I flew on the return Nairobi - Cairo flight on the 320 last Friday . I was staggered when the crew taxiied out and took off with the Arabic safety brief not even half completed !! The English version followed during the climb !
If we had slid off / abandoned / whatever that night , I would have enjoyed telling all , if I had survived of course . I told my client in Nairobi only yesterday that I would not accept another flight with them !! I think I have justified my stance .And to think they are now members of Star Alliance .

The Ancient Geek
6th Jun 2012, 09:12
There is a thread in Rumours & News, it seems an A320 went off the side of the runway with all wheels.

As always, early reports may be incorrect.

odericko2000
6th Jun 2012, 12:23
From a credible source, they might have been trying to vacate via taxiway Echo before the aircraft had slowed down appropriately, but we will wait for the final word from concerned authrities

kibz2005
7th Jun 2012, 06:38
Capital News » Nairobi airport shut after EgyptAir plane mishap (http://www.capitalfm.co.ke/news/2012/06/nairobi-airport-shut-after-egyptair-plane-mishap/)

i think odericko might be right on the money with this one.

Airbus_a321
9th Jun 2012, 15:53
it looks severly like NWS problems.
unfortunately not that uncommon on the bus. obviously the engineering deptmt in TLS are still unable to provide a centered nose wheel but a 90 degrees off nose wheel only in case of any NWS malfunction. poor performance IMHO

4runner
9th Jun 2012, 21:15
Looks like we don't know and we should wait for more reliable conclusions.

737-NG
10th Jun 2012, 00:52
Airphilexpress runs off the runway - YouTube