PDA

View Full Version : Blocking mobile numbers/text messages

WorkingHard
6th Jun 2012, 06:23
I hope this is the correct forum. Can anyone explain how (if it is possible) to block individual numbers from calling my mobile and how to block text messages from being received. I have an Orange contract and the Orange company were not helpful?

Many thanks

BOAC
6th Jun 2012, 07:13
It is a menu option on my Android phone.

WorkingHard
6th Jun 2012, 07:55
I have a Nokia N series and sadly no menu optionfor that function - none that I can find anyway

Keef
6th Jun 2012, 08:25
I get junk SMS about once a week, offering me the chance to win millions/have my debts written off/my whiplash injury sued for and the like. They all invite me to text STOP if I don't want any more. But the next one comes from a different number anyway, so I see little point in that.

I think it's something we just have to put up with.

Tableview
6th Jun 2012, 08:35
The older Nokias used to have this option, the newer ones don't - one of the reasons I hang on to my museum pieces!

mad_jock
6th Jun 2012, 09:18
Don't ever reply stop to these numbers the return text can be charged at a huge rate.

It also means that its a live number which they then sell on.

Nseries have several applications which can filter your calls you might have to pay for them though.

riverrock83
6th Jun 2012, 14:06
For SPAM messages, see Stop Spam Texts and Unwanted Marketing SMS Messages - ICO (http://www.ico.gov.uk/for_the_public/topic_specific_guides/marketing/texts.aspx)
All the UK operators have a spam address you can forward them to so they can block the number.

As you have said, Orange say they can't block numbers (Sorry, an error occurred | help & support | Orange UK (http://help.orange.co.uk/orangeuk/support/personal/351639)) so you have to do it on your handset.

There are a couple of Apps out there that should help. Go to the OVI store and search for "blacklist". Unfortunately they all seem to cost a few pounds but if they are really bothering you I'm sure that wont matter!

Another way for calls is to group them, then assign no ring tone to that group. Don't know if that will work for SMSs though (I've got an older Nokia).

WorkingHard
6th Jun 2012, 15:46
Thanks everyone for the replies, some good advice there I think.

BEagle
6th Jun 2012, 17:02
Years ago I suggested that there should be an option to block sms messages from anyone who was not in your phone's list of numbers.

I was told it wasn't possible. Which is bolleaux. The real reason being that mobile phone companies get paid for every junk sms.......

Same with those cold-calling parasites. Ofcon calls them 'telemarketing calls' - I call them an uninvited intrusion of my privacy!

Genghis the Engineer
6th Jun 2012, 17:51
On my HTC there's a menu option to block numbers in the address book.

The various people who cold-call me to flog insurance / legal services / new phone / whatever, are saved in my phone's address book as "Unwanted 1", "Unwanted 2", etc. thus allowing me to block them.

G

Kamikaize
7th Jun 2012, 02:15
I use an app called "privacy star" on both my android and blackberry. its a small monthly fee but it gives u incoming caller id, call block,text block, # lookup and a few other voicemail options.

Frelon
7th Jun 2012, 16:47
......and following on from Ghengis' post I set the unwanted caller's ringtone as an alarm, instead of the "normal" ringtone. Simples.

Or better still, download a silent ringtone and use that for your suspect callers :=