PDA

View Full Version : Transit of Venus

SpringHeeledJack
6th Jun 2012, 06:02
Did any of our Antipodean or Amerikanski ppruners get to see this rare phenomenon ? I woke this morning at 5.40am BST in the UK and saw the sun shining on the horizon in an otherwise grey cloudy sky, too late to catch the transit on a telescope/paper combo. Oh well, only another 105 years to wait.

BBC News - Venus makes rare trek across Sun (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-17745366)

SHJ

david1300
6th Jun 2012, 07:38
Here's my piccie taken around 12:30 today (Gold Coast, Australia) with my Sony 'point and shoot' using 2 blank (black) 35mm slides taped to the front of the lens as a heavy filter:
http://i49.tinypic.com/1ig4lt.jpg

SpringHeeledJack
6th Jun 2012, 07:57
Beautiful David1300 :ok: Very artistic and simply done. You should have a blow up done and printed onto canvas, the blurring will just give it a more 'painted' look and IMHO a bit of history turned into art.

SHJ

green granite
6th Jun 2012, 08:36
From the Solar Dynamics Observatory via WUWT

http://wattsupwiththat.files.wordpress.com/2012/06/latest_1024_01931.jpg

tony draper
6th Jun 2012, 08:44
Some of us would be happy just to see the Sun.:(

Tankertrashnav
6th Jun 2012, 08:58
Was raining/overcast here in SW Cornwall.

Situation normal :(

Milo Minderbinder
6th Jun 2012, 09:30
Anyone see the Horizon "special" about it on the BBC last night?
I've never seen such a piece of blatant subliminal feminist propoganda in all my life. Guest after guest, presenter after presenter all female, with just a token bloke at around 50 minutes in.
I'm all for encouraging women to to science (I'm all for encouraging ANYONE to learn science) but this came across as a piece of lipstick lesbian feminist brainwashing
BBC iPlayer - Horizon: 2011-2012: The Transit of Venus (http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b01jszy4/Horizon_20112012_The_Transit_of_Venus/)

ExXB
6th Jun 2012, 09:37
Raining in Switzerland too. BBC iPlayer not available either (without a VPN)

tony draper
6th Jun 2012, 10:25
I dunno Mr Milo remember twere a lady who discovered quasars,though it were her boss who got the Nobel prize for her work,as far as I remember he did buggah all bit sign the cheques,twas ever thus.
The ladies gawd bless em, seem well represented in Astronomy now,I remember Heather Cooper from years ago,spiffing pair of legs she had.
:rolleyes:

Milo Minderbinder
6th Jun 2012, 10:31
And Rosalind Franklin definitely got badly treated, but all the errors of the past don't justify the BBC indulging in feminist brainwashing

Lyman
6th Jun 2012, 10:53
Nice looking seahorse in the WUWT pic.

Checkboard
6th Jun 2012, 11:42
Is your complaint about the content of the presentation, or just that the content was delivered by women (which is how your rant reads :hmm:) :confused:

Milo Minderbinder
6th Jun 2012, 12:35
I wasn't overimpressed with the content, much of which seemed irrelevant to the topic, but yes my main complaint is the way in which the presentation appeared to be taking a feminist stance through the choice of presenters.
Science should be independant of such cheap posing and posturing

Sprogget
6th Jun 2012, 12:44
Content delivered by a physicist with degrees BA and MSci in Natural Sciences (Physics) and a PhD[/URL] in experimental explosives physics, a solar researcher holding the Royal society Kohn award & a Biochemist with a masters in wild animal zoology.

Obviously a feminist conspiracy. I find that those who overtly dig at women tend to be the type of men whose girlfriend is kept in a box under the bed with instructions not to over inflate.[URL="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Helen_Czerski#cite_note-3"] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PhD)

OFSO
6th Jun 2012, 13:05
I called across to the driver of this one and asked "...are you of Venus ?" and he replied "F*ck off !" so I'm still not sure.

http://i656.photobucket.com/albums/uu287/ROBIN_100/220px-Ford_transit_2_v_sst.jpg

603DX
6th Jun 2012, 17:17
I've never seen such a piece of blatant subliminal feminist propoganda in all my life. Guest after guest, presenter after presenter all female, with just a token bloke at around 50 minutes in.
I'm all for encouraging women to to science (I'm all for encouraging ANYONE to learn science) but this came across as a piece of lipstick lesbian feminist brainwashing

So you don't like women? Just as well that lots of us do, for the future of personkind, then. I did watch this programme, and obviously noticed that the three main presenters were women. I also noticed that they appeared very knowledgeable on the subject matter, and were each extremely good at putting it over to the viewers. So I looked up Liz Bonnin, Dr Helen Czerski and Dr Lucie Green on the web, and found the reasons for their air of easy confidence. These are very smart ladies indeed, all highly qualified university graduates and postgraduates in a range of relevant subjects.

So diddums feel just a bit inadequate in the face of such accomplished females, Milo? I think Sprogget's comment may be very apposite.

And it does seem possible that the Horizon producers felt that it might add an original slant to this programme, if this rare astronomical event concerning the "female planet" Venus, named after the goddess of love, were to be presented by a trio of extremely competent representatives of the fair sex. Had that occurred to you? No, obviously not. :suspect:

SpringHeeledJack
6th Jun 2012, 17:33

It might have been female-centric because it was all about the transit of VENUS

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Venus_(mythology)

and some creative spark at the Beeb decided that it would be a hoot to ban the boys. Apparently a follow on programme entitled "The transit of Uranus" will only have males at the helm ;)

SHJ

603DX
6th Jun 2012, 17:38
SHJ, look above at my last paragraph. Great minds ....? ;)

Milo Minderbinder
6th Jun 2012, 17:46
I'm quite aware of whom the three presenters were, and their qualifications - which however weren't in all cases relevant to the programme.
For instance whats a "Biochemist with a masters in wild animal zoology" got to do with astronomy?

No, I don't feel inadequate thank you. I just feel that behind this program there is a highly disguised "politically correct" feminist agenda

Sprogget
6th Jun 2012, 17:55
Given that a significant section was speculation about airborne microbial life & was also presented by the biologist, I'd say it had a good deal to do with it.

You may not feel inadequate Milo, but your words lead others to their own conclusions & it's not pretty. Not pretty at all.

Milo Minderbinder
6th Jun 2012, 18:32
Well, if you want to draw your own incorrect conclusions yet again, thats fine. Theres obviously nothing I can do to make you think otherwise.
You've just confirmed my belief that you are one of those blinded by this politically correct BS

People are people and I don't give a damn about their sex - but I do give a damn when a publicly funded body like the BBC tries to ram its concepts of correctness down our throats

Sprogget
6th Jun 2012, 18:48
Incorrect conclusions? That's rich!!

You've been shown explicitly I might add, why the presenters of last night's Horizon are eminently qualified to front this particular episode & still you don't accept it!

Exactly which one of us two is sticking to dogma like BS as you put it to a boot?!!

Ignorance in the true sense of the word coupled with misogyny are a poor set of qualities in a man, for my money.

green granite
6th Jun 2012, 18:51
It wont let me embed it.

NASA | SDO's Ultra-high Definition View of 2012 Venus Transit - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=4Z9rM8ChTjY)

iws
6th Jun 2012, 20:10
Thank you GG.

Yes, let us enjoy the beauty of the Universe without indulging in ill-informed histrionics.

Dan Gerous
6th Jun 2012, 20:14
Ah, once again, something interesting in the sky, and the good old British weather poops the party. Up at 4am, look out window, back to bed.:sad:

Must make the weather forecasters job a bit easier

bnt
6th Jun 2012, 22:19
This one is a bit big, but it's earned it:
http://www.nasa.gov/images/content/657111main_1-SOT_120606_venus_ca_nc_yellow_001_color_full.jpg

:O

timmcat
6th Jun 2012, 22:27
https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/579840_10150938657612904_1844800018_n.jpg

Tankertrashnav
6th Jun 2012, 23:55
Given a choice between the three ladies and Patrick Moore sitting there like a beached whale in a monocle wearing that nav's tie which hasn't been cleaned since c1980, I'll go for the birds any time!

Great pic Timmcat - well photoshopped :ok:

Damsel
7th Jun 2012, 12:07
The Transit was fantastic!
I had booked my favourite cottage at a resort property months ago just one hours travel inland from Brisbane, Qld. Wonderful open views of the sky! I usually stay out there for the night skies.
I set my telescope up with the solar viewer cover, I also had binoculars on a tripod with solar film covering the lenses. I had bought many pairs of solar viewing glasses and posted them out to friends and family.
The weather was perfect, I watched from first contact till last, brilliant!
I preferred the view through the binoculars.
It was great when the hotel staff came up to have a look, all were thoroughly impressed.
A friend has a private observatory further out in country Queensland, he had over 400 visitors booked in for the Transit!
Of course this week we also had a partial lunar eclipse and the weather was perfect that night!
A wonderful week!

ShyTorque
7th Jun 2012, 12:45
I thought I was watching it until I realised it was a ladybird walking across the bedroom window.

TURIN
7th Jun 2012, 13:00

I am watching it now, and I am frankly dissapointed.

Milo's description got me all hot and bothered, I was looking forward to some 'me' time. :O

Seriously Milo, if this was presented by an all male team with a 'token' female at 50 mins, would you have said anything?

Welcome to the 21st Century.

Some excellent photos by the way. :D:ok:

compressor stall
7th Jun 2012, 13:02
Wandered across the road from my hotel onto the esplanade. An 8 inch telescope from the local uni was set up on the grass. A queue of patient members of he public eager to witness the spectacle had formed, snaking its way across under huge gumtrees. It was a crisp clear winters morning, around seventeen degrees celcius, and some of the locals were shivering in the shade...:cool:

Anyway, a great view. And hours later in the final minutes of the transit, i was flying so I got out the gyrostabilized binoculars and projected the image successfully onto the back of the flight plan. :ok:

Storminnorm
7th Jun 2012, 14:39
Not too keen on Transits of Venus. They can B*gger up your eyes.
Far happier with Lunar eclipses. They're much more genteel and don't
blind as many people.
All my chickens thought they'd had a short day during the last Lunar
eclipse. When it started to get dark they all went to bed, well, for a few
minutes.

OFSO
7th Jun 2012, 15:45
I thought I was watching it until I realised it was a ladybird walking across the bedroom window.

And that just about sums it up, ST. Had the ladybird walked at the correct speed, would you have known any difference ? All very well these astromathematical types getting worked up about it, but I'm sorry, for us ordinary chaps it might as well have been a ladybird or a floater or, well, just about anything. And surely not worth getting up in the middle of the night...hey, wait a minute..a transit of the sun ? Happening at night ? See why I can't be bovvered with it.

G-CPTN
7th Jun 2012, 15:51
I think that the point made in the TV programme that it was used to calculate the distance of Earth from the Sun means that such events are (or, at least, were) significant.

tony draper
7th Jun 2012, 16:31
Didn't some Greek chap do that 2000 years ago?,of course one knows the name of the chap but not how to spell it,he has a crater on the moon named for him, not far from mine it is.
:rolleyes:
For amateurs telescopically Venus is a rather boring cove,one can watch the phases of course but nowt exciting like the canals of Mars to be seen.
:)

axefurabz
7th Jun 2012, 18:41
This is a link to a few I took earlier ...

http://spaceweather.com/submissions/large_image_popup.php?image_name=Angus-Stevenson-Venus-transit---first-image-b-small_1338970479.jpg (http://u60933.sendgrid.org/wf/click?upn=x6vgf6SyFsu9JAL7Ysud5kGi-2BbRIb72RdfAAYK4Z-2FAj8tDn837P4AfwmMWL-2BbFp2IXORal348ydcJcrmQ39uO-2BgwtIb-2BLAZJpVRjwLZ7j7Fd0McsWh0ZVc8MiTW-2FSIuzeZxlzjGj0cmEBSgUsnGHgA41zzVr7TukTckr4HV7F4Ea5hkNV3LPpa-2FJCT-2Fy7fXv_h8LDeu27-2FuPriND9V7u9hSytLphmQSaxep1iBw1Ga8x9Owr0yPCm5-2BqCF1u2xxv-2FCI70FUJCgCOBJjzZarcDO-2BGUtvJxq-2FhpV-2ByuRLnUklnLwlp8rkJsRa7SOVBj-2B1R-2Fp-2FmfHIKo7XHysASbY4ntk4iyxT9VA4cNbiz-2BfSrxpmI-3D)

Slasher
7th Jun 2012, 19:59
Eratosthenes of Cyrene Drapes. He used 2 sticks, the Sun, a
huge dose of intelligence and a mate to calculate the Earth's
circumference. Don't think that anyone actually calculated the
Sun's distance from Earth 2000 yonks ago, except maybe old
Ptolemy had a crack at it I dunno.

james ozzie
8th Jun 2012, 00:52
Interesting to note that mankind has realised the world was a sphere for a very long time. It is sometimes held that the Columbus crew were afraid of falling off the edge of the world but this cannot be so. Sailors of all people always knew the earth was spherical from the "disappearing ship" illusion.

tony draper
8th Jun 2012, 09:43
Yer but we are a superstitious lot, we still kept well away from the edge.:rolleyes:

B Fraser
8th Jun 2012, 10:35
Given a choice between the three ladies and Patrick Moore sitting there like a beached whale in a monocle wearing that nav's tie which hasn't been cleaned since c1980, I'll go for the birds any time!

That's Sir Patrick. He's earned his title. Many of the presenters today are not fit to polish his boots however Sir Patrick is famed the world over for his contribution to the subject. His deteriorating health means that he has been chairbound for the last few years however his brain and wit are undiminished.

tony draper
8th Jun 2012, 10:51
Clever buggah that old cove Eratosthenes Mr Slasher,there are claims he did indeed calculate Earth Sun Distance.:rolleyes:
Eratosthenes - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eratosthenes).