PDA

View Full Version : Drunken Granny MkII

Capt Claret
5th Jun 2012, 21:44
From the ABC News web site.

More than most, myself included, expected. The article claims she had to cover the costs of interrupting the flight, which in one source were quoted at circa $19k.

Grandmother fined after mid-air fracas
Tue 05 Jun 12, 18:48pm AEST
A court has ordered a grandmother to pay $20,000 after a drunken incident forced a New Zealand-bound flight to return to Melbourne. Frances Macaskill pleaded guilty in a Melbourne Magistrates Court to assault and offensive and disorderly behaviour on board the Qantas flight to Wellington last Saturday. Police said she had been seen drinking duty-free alcohol before she started to yell profanities and punch seats. The court heard the flight crew had to restrain the 58-year-old after she assaulted a fellow passenger. In sentencing, the magistrate noted it was not the first time Macaskill had been fined for misbehaving on a flight and described her behaviour as appalling and confronting for crew and passengers. She was handed a four-month suspended sentence and ordered to pay a $3,500 fine, as well as the costs for interrupting the flight.

to read the full story on your mobile please use this link
ABC News Article (http://m.abc.net.au/browse?page=11144&articleid=4053896&cat=Ipad) JustIn

kingRB
5th Jun 2012, 23:14
do we have any form of "no fly" list in Oz like the US? A way of permanently banning known violent offenders from RPT flights?

Sounds like this animal needs to be on it.

Capt Claret
6th Jun 2012, 00:17
Some airlines certainly do, I don't know if the registry is a central one, available/applicable to all carriers.

A pax on one of my flights last year, argued with the Carrier's ground staff and AFP why he was justified in what amounted to an assault and verbal abuse of cabin crew, before being told and convinced that he was now on the "naughty persons" list and one more transgression would see him banned from travelling.

TOUCH-AND-GO
6th Jun 2012, 01:00
This morning in the Herald;

Macaskill pleaded guilty in Melbourne Magistrate's Court to assaulting the passenger and behaving in an offensive and disorderly manner.

Macaskill has been put on the blacklist and banned from flying with Qantas, Jetconnect and Jetstar for at least 10 years.

Macaskill, a disability pensioner, was given a four-month jail term, wholly suspended, for the charge of offensive behaviour and was convicted and fined $3500 for the assault. She was also ordered to pay Qantas' costs of returning the flight to Melbourne, a total of $18,245.

Capn Bloggs
6th Jun 2012, 01:17
A grandmother. I wonder what her kids and grandkids are like? :ouch:

Ex FSO GRIFFO
6th Jun 2012, 01:41
The "I'll send them around and they can empty your fridge and carve their names in your piano......." type..??

:p

kaz3g
6th Jun 2012, 06:20
She appears to be a disability pensioner from NZ. The chances of her paying the fine, let alone making restitution to Q (judgment debt) would seem remote.

But she won't want to come back again.

Kaz

jas24zzk
6th Jun 2012, 07:43
Yep,
this is her second offence. 1st was smoking on a Virgin flight. She was fined $110 for that, and Virgin put her on their no-fly list for that effort.

Hugh Jarse
6th Jun 2012, 09:14
She's probably the first of 3 generations of bogans that have never had a job.

Perhaps she should have flown Jetstar.