PDA

View Full Version : Can anyone recommend an IP camera?

misterblue
5th Jun 2012, 18:10
I have been battling with a Dlink ip camera for days now and it sits like a surly teenager, refusing to do most of the things it promised it would.

What I am looking for is an indoor, IP camera that does this stuff, as a security monitor. If anyone has one that works, I would love to know the make/model.,

It must be,

-really wireless ie doesn't need rebooting every 5 mins when it loses signal briefly.
-send an email on motion detect, without the use of a PC on all the time. If so, which email provider do you use?
-record to a NAS.

At my wits end,

Many thanks

Mister very Blue

mixture
5th Jun 2012, 20:29
Don't know off the top of my head if they do a wireless one, but Axis have been making IP cameras for donkeys years. Worth a look.

green granite
5th Jun 2012, 21:12
Have you checked that the channel you're using is not overlapping with another network close by on the same channel or one either side of it?

Milo Minderbinder
5th Jun 2012, 21:45
my experience is that too many of the cameras on the market are old and won't work properly with Win7.
Most of the ones I've seen need you to run a java app on the PC to view the camera remotely, and theres all kinds of issues with compatibility.

Only one I actually ever got working properly was a Taiwanese no-name white box unit, and even then I had a devil of a job finding software that worked, and even more punching holes in the router firewall to let it work. I'm not convinced its a technology that works as advertised

Mike-Bracknell
5th Jun 2012, 22:39
Another vote for Axis. Not cheap, but very good.

misterblue
6th Jun 2012, 08:56
Thanks, folks.

I have tried all the IP settings under the sun, and am coming to the conclusion it is either Axis or get burgled.

The latter is less hassle than setting up a Dlink camera.

srobarts
6th Jun 2012, 09:38
Been using an Axis 207W for years, delighted with it. At last house I had the motion sensitive feature set up. It caught a group of kids on way to vandalise neighbours car, daughter coming home worse for wear after a night out, and the arrivals for a party put on by my son when we were away and he told us he had only had four friends round!

misterblue
6th Jun 2012, 14:38
Thanks srobarts,

Does it send email alerts as well?

MB

mixture
6th Jun 2012, 14:41
From the datasheet on their website (hint hint...ahem... :E)

Intelligent Video:Video motion detection, audio detection
Alarm Triggers : Intelligent video and external input
Alarm Events: File upload via FTP, HTTP and email Notification via email, HTTP and TCP External output activation

The user manual is also freely downloadable from aformentioned website should you wish to peruse it to get a feel.

srobarts
6th Jun 2012, 20:28
Yes it has email but I haven't used it. Just checking the Axis website the 207W has been replaced, so you might want to look at the replacement. As it is an indoor camera, when we used it as a security camera it was viewing through a window from one of our seldom used rooms. It lost vision at night it someone turned a light in the room!. Low light was not very good, but we had PIR triggered security lights with remote wireless PIRs so they came on when anyone approaching the house was out of site of the house so didn't know if the house was occupied or a security light coming on.

misterblue
7th Jun 2012, 17:18
Thanks, all.

NB Mixture, I take your hint, but my question was 'does it send emails' which, as I have discovered over the last week, is a vast distance away from 'does the manufacturer claim it sends emails?'

The two are wholly different!

MB