PDA

View Full Version : Lt Billie D Harris - CBS Evening News 5/6 June

racedo
5th Jun 2012, 17:44
Lt. Billie D. Harris Tribute (http://www.354thpmfg.com/BillieDHarris_part1.html)

Spent the weekend in Normandy, hadn't been the original plan but as all plans do it got amended and there was I standing above Omaha beach yesterday 4th of June at the US Military Cemetery at Colleville-Sur-Mer.

I had visited before but this occasion we were just in time to joining the last English speaking tour of the day.

Guide had clearly a passion for her work and made sure any Americans in the group knew how much she treasured their sacrifice to free her country.

As we walked along I noticed a CBS News crew that were paying lots of attention to one headstone, it was the one of Billie D Harris.

Guide brought us to a small bench close by and told us the story as detailed in the link above, it rained heavily as made my eyes all misty. CBS crew stood close by and listened again to the story awe struck by it.

Why this was different is this June 5th and 6th, 2012 the widow of Billie D Harris will be at the site and will sit on this seat. CBS evening news will do a feature across both days about her late husband. She didn't know until 60 plus years after his death what had happened to him and clearly now the guides treasure her.

Peggy never remarried and is in her late 80's and likely one of the few widows still alive from the men who sacrificed their lives in Summer 1944 in Normandy.

Not sure I will catch CBS evening news on 1st run but will do so by end of week.

glad rag
5th Jun 2012, 19:05
pretty disgusted by the way this has been handled racedo.

ONCE AGAIN, reading that brought home their sacrifice.

rgds

GR

Deerhawk
9th Jun 2012, 15:39
I don't know if my Aunt Peggy will see this, but for many years, none of the family had all of the facts concerning my Uncle Billies untimely death in 1944. My sister Norma saw a documentary on tv and called me this morning to let me know that it was about our Uncle, the brother of our mother June Harris Lindsey.

The last time I saw my Aunt was at my Grandfathers funeral, Virgil Houston Harris, and Nellie Jewel Dobbs Harris both passed away without the full knowledge of what had happened to their beloved son.

My Cousin Alton Harvey and my Aunt Peggy Harris collaborated to find out all they could about Billie and my heartfelt thanks to them for their efforts and fabulous information they found.

It is my hope that one or both of them may see this and perhaps we might find a way of re-connecting after all these years.

Billie Robert Lindsey
Las Vegas, NV. USA