PDA

View Full Version : Sydney's Gale...

Best Rate
5th Jun 2012, 14:54
Wasn't the Sydney circuit a fun place to be from around 1530 Tue arvo??

One could be suckered into thinking no real requirements for a lot of extra gas to be carried in.

Glad we had a bit of spare motion lotion as it turned out...

Wondering what other guys use as rules of thumb with regard to such strong winds blowing in / possibility of MOD + w/shear...??

Our machine physically weather-cocked on the exposed bay after wheels chocked!

Best regards and here's to wind-gales abating!

BR. :ok:

Sonny Hammond
5th Jun 2012, 17:49
Similar to 'freaky friday' back in 97 or 98. I saw 65kts on a metar for Sydney that day.
SAAB's and Dash's all over the place.

harrythepigeon
5th Jun 2012, 18:16
I was listening to the ATC on my iphone around that time, heard a Virgin Embraer report severe turbulence at 5800. Not being an airline pilot myself, what is the actual definition of severe turbulence and what is it like to fly through these conditions in that type of aircraft or similar??

ejectx3
5th Jun 2012, 21:42
Certainly earnt our pay cheque yeaterday! Whoa nelly!

falconx
5th Jun 2012, 22:48
she was bloody rough, 3 missed approaches in le falcon and a very upset cabin crew

Capt_SNAFU
5th Jun 2012, 23:37
Severe turbulence:

-Turbulence that causes large, abrupt changes in altitude and/or attitude.
-It usually causes large variations in indicated airspeed.
-Aircraft may be momentarily out of control.
-Occupants are forced violently against seat belts or shoulder straps.
-Unsecured objects are tossed about. Food Service and walking are impossible.

Been in it once or twice and that was certainly enough. Really wakes you up.

ejectx3
5th Jun 2012, 23:50
Only once for me, flying mel-cbr descending east of the hills towards WLE with strong westerlies.

Quite the rollercoaster ride.

Trojan1981
6th Jun 2012, 00:02
An Embraer behind our jet conducted a missed approach from 150' due strong undershoot sheer. And our MD-11 touch down was eventful to say the least. We had to get the guys to stop offloading cargo because as the weight came off the nose wheel, the wind was lifting the nose and the wheels were pivoting freely! If fact we got them to put two pallets back on to keep some weight on until the fuel truck arrived. From the jumpseats you could see the extent of the movement. The nose was rising and and falling around 20-30cm from the level of the stairs. Some tense moments.
Lucky the wind was strait down the runway!

Ex FSO GRIFFO
6th Jun 2012, 01:57
Almost like this one....sorta...??

Amazing video of 747 lifting in place in extreme wind conditions - 1080P HD - YouTube

Sans engines.......

Cheers :eek:

FoxtrotAlpha18
6th Jun 2012, 02:23
...what is the actual definition of severe turbulence...?

It's the difference between saying "Better use the shoulder straps" :\

and...

"Faaaarrrrk"! :eek:

Trojan1981
6th Jun 2012, 03:31
Exactly Griffo! An MD-11 is also very easy to tip on it's tail for obvious reasons. Once they got some fuel on it was ok, but before that :eek:

Severe turb is when you're surprised the wings are still attached and you need to change your underwear!

teresa green
6th Jun 2012, 03:51
I reckon OOL is the best in a howling sou westerly, no ILS, night, she is all over the sky, and a very good possibility of becoming a patient of the John Flynn Hospital whilst still inside the aircraft, as you try to get the old girl to settle, before she tries to land herself on the Pacific Hwy. Its a **** of a place.

Horatio Leafblower
6th Jun 2012, 06:09
Wollongong would have been fun last night, 50 knot winds coming off the escarpment :=