PDA

View Full Version : Kindle Fire?

rgbrock1
5th Jun 2012, 13:07
In lieu of shelling out some rather big $$$$ for an Apple iPad (for now anyway) I'm thinking of buying an Amazon Kindle Fire. I would use the device mostly for reading perhaps occasionally for the 'Net.

Anyone have a Kindle Fire and, if so, how do you like it? Or don't like it.

mixture
5th Jun 2012, 21:11
Short memory RG ? You've already asked that question !

See here (http://www.pprune.org/computer-internet-issues-troubleshooting/485043-kindle-fire.html).

Milo Minderbinder
5th Jun 2012, 21:38
obviously needs something with better memory capacity

Loose rivets
6th Jun 2012, 05:02
I do that a lot these days. Saves on movies, enjoy them several times before I catch on.

I got a Fire - refurbished, but like new in box with full guarantee. $137 from the big river. Sent it back, just couldn't see the point. So heavy for reading, and missing so many high-end features. Neither one thing or the other.

mad_jock
6th Jun 2012, 08:25
Must admit the kindle I carry is the cheap Kindle.

Its light and fits in poackets in a cover. The battery still lasts ages even if you forget to turn the wireless off.

You can use the email browser on it.And I do occassionally if i quickly need to get something off a email but its not very good but works.

If I need to have web pages for directions etc I just print to pdf and send it to the kindle as a document.

The Kindle fire for me anyway goes away from what the kindle is all about. For me its something thats light and portable and I can read books on and I can purchase english books anywhere in the world. If I need to web stuff I use a computer.

rgbrock1
6th Jun 2012, 14:31
Oh my, I did ask this question back in May.

How forgetful we are.

I'll chalk it up to advancing age!!!!

11Fan
6th Jun 2012, 16:03
Glad my advice was taken to heart.......

:hmm:

rgbrock1
8th Jun 2012, 15:18
11Fan:

Your advice was indeed taken to heart. I ordered the Kindle fire from that south American river online store Wednesday night. With my free 2-day shipping it will be arriving today!
The Mrs. is also looking forward to "trying it out". I'll allow her 5 minutes to check it out, but that's it. That's her quota. If she likes it then she'll just have to buy her own. (Which means, of course, that I'll have to buy it for her!)

Ancient Observer
8th Jun 2012, 16:52
...or upgrade to an ipad. I didn't think we needed one, but SWMBO wanted one for Christmas last year. She got it in September last year, (the romance of it all), and it is in daily use and "we" don't know how we did without it. As ipad is such a rip-off price, I'll be interested in your take on the Fire.
If it is brill I might stop fighting in the trenches with daughter's old pc. (Another thread)