PDA

View Full Version : IFR Flight test duration help

Bluemeaway
5th Jun 2012, 10:52
Hello all,

Just trying to find the part that says how long a flight test is required to last,

CAO 40.2.1 says nothing about test duration, as long as all the boxes are ticked is my understanding

im having to do an initial test to upgrade to a MCI
all the aids I wanting to aquire/renew can all be achieved within 1.5hrs flight time,

I think its pointless/putting a massive dent in my pocket if I have to fly extra.

anyone out there no exactly what test duration is?

ive found in the flight crew licensing proceadures manual which seems more like a guideline than a hard and fast rule.

The duration of the test depends on whether it is for an initial issue or renewal of a rating.

For initial issues, the ground component usually takes an hour, while the flight

component takes 2½ to 3 hours.

!

For renewals, the ground component averages 20 minutes and the test 1½ to 2 hours.

tmpffisch
5th Jun 2012, 11:13
I think its pointless/putting a massive dent in my pocket if I have to fly extra.

I think this thread is pointless...you've already found where the guidelines are. Obviously distance to travel to navaids, traffic, delays, weather, poor performance, inadequate flying skills are all reasons why they're guidelines, not a clear rule that a renewal doesn't take 1.4 hours, nor 1.6, but 1.5!

ravan
5th Jun 2012, 11:16
No definitive answer to your question I'm afraid. Duration of the test is totally up to the discretion of the ATO.
Flight crew licensing Procedures manual just about covers it but you will have to ask the ATO that you book for your test.

Capt Fathom
5th Jun 2012, 11:58
Yep! Agree with the others! You may have to do more than you think is required!

By the way... you might not be as good as you think you are!

Just a thought!

john_tullamarine
5th Jun 2012, 12:40
you might not be as good as you think you are!

.. whereupon one might discover that the test takes less time than anticipated ?

ForkTailedDrKiller
5th Jun 2012, 12:42
For renewals, the ground component averages 20 minutes and the test 1½ to 2 hours.

Sounds about right - but I can't say that I have ever thought about it. I just know that at the end I feel like I have been worked over pretty well!

That's OK - cause after 25 renewals I am still here!

If you are flying all the aids in the aeroplane then even if they are all closely located it doesn't take much for a renewal to blow out a bit - a holding pattern here, a sector entry there, DME/GPS arc somewhere else!

Dr :8

LexAir
6th Jun 2012, 00:25
My last MECIR renewal was with CASA (as they all are) and it was 2.7 flight hours and 1 hour on the ground excluding flight planning time.