PDA

View Full Version : Word printing faded text

Pitts2112
4th Jun 2012, 13:37
I have one document in Word 2010 (actually a series of documents but each serially created from one original) that prints all the text at about 50% grey scale. No other documents print this way and, in fact, all other documents print at 100% black.

I've checked every setting I can think of but can't seem to find the one that is causing this.

Any ideas on why this might be happening and what I can do about it? I can forward the document to anyone if that might help troubleshoot.

Since it's my resume, I'd really like to sort this out.

Many thanks!
Pitts

Milo Minderbinder
4th Jun 2012, 14:04
check your ink cartridges

the black could be near emtpy, but on some prints its using the colour to create a composite black to composite

also check the print parameters for THAT DOCUMENT. Is it set to "draft"?

Pitts2112
4th Jun 2012, 14:38
The ink cartridge is full and, as I say, every other document is printing fully black.

I've looked all over Word, and tried Word help (which is notoriously mis-named) but can't seem to find anywhere that I can check if it is in draft form or how to change it if it is. I think you're right, though, in that the problem is specifically with this document, but I'm buggered if I can figure out what the problem is.

Milo Minderbinder
4th Jun 2012, 14:42
in the document go to print, and then check the print settings from there

Tableview
4th Jun 2012, 14:48
Cut and paste it into Wordpad, which will lose any formatting, and see if then prints in 100% black. If it does, cut and paste ite back in Wrod and you may find you've solved the problem.

Alternatively, save it as a .txt or .rtf file. Finally, you have probably already done this, but try clearing the formatting.

Pitts2112
5th Jun 2012, 01:27
TV,
That sounds like a good idea. Clearly there's something in the formatting that gets carried from parent to child document, but I just cannot find the feature that's causing it. Cutting and pasting into Wordpad may do it.

I would clear the formatting but I'm not sure how or what setting there is that is causing the problem.

Thanks for the tip!

Skittles
5th Jun 2012, 01:31
Check it's not printing in economy mode in the print settings.

Paraffin Budgie
6th Jun 2012, 12:05
You've probably thought of this, but try selecting ALL of the text in the document and make sure the text colour is black.

Pitts2112
6th Jun 2012, 12:16
I've done all of the above, except Tableview's idea of basically starting a new document.

There is obviously some formatting feature selected on that particular document that is causing this, but I can not find it to save my life. My knowledge of Word is just not sufficient to figure it out.

But thanks, everyone, for the input.