PDA

View Full Version : Motorcyclist garrotted by walkers

eticket
4th Jun 2012, 11:48
So he borrows a motorcycle and zooms around. Two dog walkers then stretch out the dog lead...

Will the Sun use the headline "Gotcha!!!"?

Motorcycle rider, 23, garrotted by dog lead strung across his path | Mail Online (http://www.mailonsunday.co.uk/news/article-2154354/Motorcycle-rider-23-garrotted-dog-lead-strung-path.html)

vulcanised
4th Jun 2012, 12:05
Do hope they removed the dog first.

merlinxx
4th Jun 2012, 13:07
Old Bill should tell them "Could do better, use cheese wire next time"

Mallan
4th Jun 2012, 13:21
It's warming to know that others feel like I do. No doubt he and his mates were being nauseating twats,

angels
4th Jun 2012, 13:24
They could have called the police and they would have moved us on.

Look you chav arsehole, why should the police have to move you on in the first place? You shouldn't have been what you were doing. IE Being an anti-social scrote who knows the police are too busy to deal with complaints about wankers on motorbikes ruining everyone's walk.

You got what you deserved and everyone is now laughing at what a prick you are.

I'm glad you survived, beacuse now you've whinged to a national newspaper you're going to get flamed to buggery like this chap was!

I know its old, but a chav getting belted is always fun! :D

Edited to add go to 2:00 to avoid the most of the buildup.

Chav gets owned - YouTube

SpringHeeledJack
4th Jun 2012, 13:46
The solution of the 'middle aged' walkers was extreme, in view of the law of the land, but was perhaps a sane one in terms of the behaviour of the threatening scooter boys. They were being menaced in a way that was escalating and their survival instinct kicked in, I've no doubt that they weren't 'thinking' but rather reacting, either fight or flight, and flight was not an option.

When the police cannot or will not get involved then these types of incident will occur, again and again and it will be the law of the jungle that rules. I wonder if such things happen in rural USA and Australia bearing in mind people are able to carry weapons legally ?

SHJ

Krystal n chips
4th Jun 2012, 13:55
" I wonder if such things happen in rural USA and Australia bearing in mind people are able to carry weapons legally ?"

You've never been to Newton Heath or Failsworth then?

Exascot
4th Jun 2012, 14:05
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/32684975/Dog%20Lead.jpg

'It was a brown leather one, I think we dropped it in the park'

lomapaseo
4th Jun 2012, 14:28
He and his friends asked for a turn on the bike

Read more: Motorcycle rider, 23, garrotted by dog lead strung across his path | Mail Online (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2154354/Motorcycle-rider-23-garrotted-dog-lead-strung-path.html#ixzz1wpoigoQ9)

I wonder what words were used to request their turn on the bike

Lon More
4th Jun 2012, 14:43
Sorry, with the blokes on the bike here. They probably had as much right to be there as the dog walkers.

I hope they're charged with attempted murder if caught; stretching a dog lead across the path doesn't seem a spur of the moment idea - Clarkson suggested doing it on Top Gear years ago.

Furtherore for them to scurry off adds leaving the scene to the list of charges that should be brought against them, although the realisation that they would have received a well deserved shoeing had they remained around might be seen as extenuating circumstances

edited to add; it's in the Mail so there's less than all of the story being printed. Probably the locals have been riding bikes there for years and the attempted murderers were fully aware of this.

Standard Noise
4th Jun 2012, 14:50
Was he insured to be on the bike or just another scrote who decided to 'borrow' the bike from it's owner?

This is what happens when the Police and lawmakers abandon the land to anti social behaviour, people learn that they have to stand up for themselves. They way the dog walkers went about it may not be right, but it's a symptom of what happens when people have just had enough.

Oh, and as a dog walker, if he'd endangered my dog, he'd have got more than garotted, that would just have been the mechanism for getting him off the bike.

edited to add: it's also possible (and more likely probable) that they were anti social scrotes who would have used foul language and threats of violence to the dog walkers if challenged by more 'conventional' means.

angels
4th Jun 2012, 14:53
Lon - you surprise me. These people are an anti-social and dangerous menace. On more than one occasion when I used to watch my son play football the game would have to be stopped because some idots were whizzing around on motorbikes (over the pitch, through the kids etc).

stretching a dog lead across the path

The key word there is 'path'. Why did the cretin think he could ride the bike on a path? Because he didn't have any consideration for others and has suffered -- somewhat extreme I admit -- consequences.

If arrested the defence argument could well be one of the fact the person was injured while indulging in a criminal act. I'll leave that to others.

OFSO
4th Jun 2012, 15:28
I find this use of a dog-lead despicable. Just think what could have happened to the dog which presumably was set free whilst its lead was being used.

For what it's worth it you can buy a couple of metres of fine wire (usually zinc-plated so it won't get rusty) at your local hardware store and keep it rolled up in your pocket for use in these emergencies. But do remember to pick up the head afterwards.

"You don't expect that from middle-aged people"

Matey, have I got news for you. Continue to not "expect it from middle aged people" and wait till you see what we REALLY oldies can do !

allan907
4th Jun 2012, 15:47
Lon you're out on your own with this one. I'm with the walkers. We get these miserable little anti-social little shits every public holiday and fine weekend around here from dawn to dusk.

If it wasn't for the fact that I'd have my shotty and .22 taken off me (and worse) I'd cheerfully have a go at these scrotes and send them to the great motocross in the sky.

Milo Minderbinder
4th Jun 2012, 15:50
a walking stick in the spokes works wonders as well

Mr Optimistic
4th Jun 2012, 15:57
Dog walkers can also be self righteous assholes who think their dogs have the right to shit anywhere it pleases. Mind you in this case if it was a dog lead held by two walkers the bloke was riding between them in which case a good kicking was called for.

ShyTorque
4th Jun 2012, 17:38
The facts would be useful; such as the legal status of the path.

We often run/walk the dogs on a public footpath, across open farmland out of our village. It's a footpath only but it's often incorrectly used by horse riders, as if it's a bridleway. Unfortunately, my dog is terrified by horses and usually sets up a right old din when one comes down the path. There is often nowhere to avoid a close encounter because it's a crop field and I'm not inclined to walk through and damage a crop, anyway depending on the crop it's too dense to go into anyway. The horses don't like the response of the dog and in the past a minority of their riders have made angry comments about the dog. The answer is "This is a public footpath, not a :mad: ing bridleway! "

However, I wouldn't go as far as trying to garotte a rider!

Btw, I can remember a case on the south coast of UK where some idiots set up a rope line across the road and did actually decapitate a chap quite legally riding his motorbike!

lomapaseo
4th Jun 2012, 18:21
a walking stick in the spokes works wonders as well

Have you ever tried this on a motorcycle (or seen it succesfully performed) ?

Flypro
4th Jun 2012, 18:37
So this scrote has his photo taken before hospital treatment? Gosh it must have been a serious injury - or is that ketchup?
No, of course not.
The poor innocent lamb was riding an uninsured motorcycle on a public FOOTPATH and almost certainly not wearing a helmet. He then threatens to rundown a law abiding couple trying to quietly enjoy a walk with their dog = and guess who becomes the criminal?
IMHO its a shame the poor poor darlings head remains attached. Pillock.

Milo Minderbinder
4th Jun 2012, 18:41
"a walking stick in the spokes works wonders as well "

"Have you ever tried this on a motorcycle (or seen it succesfully performed) ? "

yes
it worked
spectacularly

Sprogget
4th Jun 2012, 18:47
So this scrote has his photo taken before hospital treatment? Gosh it must have been a serious injury - or is that ketchup?
No, of course not.
The poor innocent lamb was riding an uninsured motorcycle on a public FOOTPATH and almost certainly not wearing a helmet. He then threatens to rundown a law abiding couple trying to quietly enjoy a walk with their dog = and guess who becomes the criminal?
IMHO its a shame the poor poor darlings head remains attached. Pillock.

Can you show me where you got the information that this guy had:

No insurance
No helmet
Photos taken pre treatment

Since I can't see that in any of the reports I've searched. I also wonder how many of the cheerleaders for attempted murder of a young man are winding themselves up to express their disgust at the pussycopter.

Lon More
4th Jun 2012, 19:00
I'm disgusted by the views expressed by some of the conservative little englanders here.
it appears to be a derelict site. From the photos in the Mail it does not seem to have any notices placed there forbidding access to any group of persons. Therefore, the possible legality of the bike aside, the kids had just as much right as the dog walkers to be there

the stretching of the lead across the track is not the action of someone frightened for their life. It is a pre-meditated attack on another human being. i.e. attempted murder. Were they so concerned for their own safety they could easily have called the police. I presume at least one had a mobile phone

The victim had been unemployed but seems to have being doing everything possible to get back into employment, so classing him as a worthless chav is, at least, harsh

The "Upstanding citizens" walking their dog did not hang around to give their version to the police, nor as far as I can ascertain have they since attepted to do so. Attempted murder and leaving the scene of an accident - a bit more serious than the "anti-social behaviour" my learned colleagues on this site have already found the victim guilty of.

The report was in the Mail so I have my doubts about its total objectivity. Should anyone try this sort of stunt on me he'd better be in a position to finish me off quickly because if I get up I'll be coming after him and his blonde bimbo will be stuffed down his throat , closely followed by his labrapoodle.

BTW I don't think the pussycopter was in very good taste
Taking the photograph of the injuries before treatment is SOP I believe so that the extent of the injuries is documented for use in court.

stuckgear
4th Jun 2012, 19:06
Lon you're out on your own with this one. I'm with the walkers.

Not necessarily.

The mail makes little mention of the 'path' they were on. There are thousands of miles of Byways Open To All Traffic in the UK which are used by offroaders of the two and four wheel variety. It is not only perfectly legal but encouraged to use these as it keeps the byways open for all to use and be be closed randomly restrict usage. they are often closed illegally by landowners looking to annexe a piece of land that is claimed under used.

there is a caveat to that, the vehicle must be road legal and be used in compliance with the laws of the road. regular green-laners encourage all to responsible is use accommodating to foot traffic, horses, livestock and other animals. however walkers and ramblers can get very agressive with vehicles that using these byways in accordance with the law and have been known to set traps, stone vehicles and smash windows of vehicles.

with that said, if this was a public byway open to all traffic then our chav was breaking the law if not complying with the laws of the road, with that said, would it be accepatable to string something across a main road to catch a 'biker' out ?

if it wasn't a byway open to traffic then perhaps a call to the police rather than attempted murder would have been more appropriate.

None of the above
4th Jun 2012, 19:17
Now this 'illegitimate' should have been garrotted.

Cyclist runs over dog. View from helmet cam.

It isn't graphic but, at the same time, it is obvious what happened.

Tableview
4th Jun 2012, 19:32
My sympathy is primarily with those whose lives are blighted by the incessant and infuriating noise of these little shits on bikes, not to mention the pollutionand the danger they cause.

That said, attempting to garrot one is an overzealous reaction. More appropriate would have been to knock him off the bike, smash it up, and let him proceed on his way on foot.

stuckgear
4th Jun 2012, 19:36
Now this 'illegitimate' should have been garrotted.

what a :mad: :mad:hole.. didnt even stop. and the lycra lout no doubt has a helmet cam so he can record percieved misdeed that occur to him from others.

had it been my dog i would have pulled him off the bike by his hair (or helmet)

glad rag
4th Jun 2012, 19:51
Attempted Murder, Period. No wonder they ran like the cowards they are, instead of garnering any sympathy to their plight, PLOD will be after them like a rabid dog.*

White-check
Monied-check

Cry havoc and let loose the dogs* [*no pun intended] :E

cavortingcheetah
4th Jun 2012, 20:18
Perhaps both cyclists were negligent and riding without due care and attention at speeds so fast that they were unable to see the lead in front of their faces.
The countryside is full of pitfalls hazardous to waste material.

heli-cal
4th Jun 2012, 20:46
The allegation that two middle aged people stood either side of a pathway, whilst stretching out a dog lead, as a rider rode at 20 mph towards them... And the rider was wholly unaware of them, and their temporary barrier, is simply not credible!

If true, it would certainly appear that the rider was riding without due care and attention, and rode into a stationary, temporary barrier!

Nervous SLF
4th Jun 2012, 21:11
Sorry people but if the Police had been warned before about motorcyclists causing problems in this area
do you really honestly expect
A, they would have been interested enough to investigate?
B, if they had turned up would they have been able to talk to these riders before the riders rode away?
C, would they have been able/want to arrest them?
D, what punishment if any would result from the Court case?

Windy Militant
4th Jun 2012, 21:28
The allegation that two middle aged people stood either side of a pathway, whilst stretching out a dog lead, as a rider rode at 20 mph towards them... And the rider was wholly unaware of them, and their temporary barrier, is simply not credible!

The rope burns on my ladio's neck look as if they were caused by a retractable lead.
The fact that they are on his neck either mean that it was a very tall dog or it was deliberately held up.
Mind you it is possible that fido was on a long lead and they attempted to hold the lead up so the bike could go under it, and didn't get it quite high enough.

RatherBeFlying
4th Jun 2012, 21:40
I suspect that WM has it about right. So how close to the people and dog did said injured drive his bike at 20 mph?

There is a good likelihood that the dog walkers were surprised and the one nearest to the dog was not holding the leash and grabbed the dog to protect it from running into the bike.

The cyclist who seems to have hit the dog did not bother to warn of his approach. I do have a loud horn and have had occasion to use it at full volume to inform the oblivious of my approach -- the ladies conversing while blocking the cycle path with their pooches on leads being one example.

redsnail
4th Jun 2012, 21:50
Why were the dog walkers walking their dog on a cyclepath? WRT None of the Above's clip? #24
Where was the cyclist supposed to go?
The cycle path symbol is shown quite clearly on the road.

Milo Minderbinder
4th Jun 2012, 22:04
redsnail
where were they supposed to walk? There was no pavement there.
And in ALL cases in the UK pedestrians have legal priority. The cyclists was guilty of breaking traffic laws in not giving way. Also there was no warning bell (still a legal requirement)

chiglet
4th Jun 2012, 22:06
Where was the cyclist supposed to go?

As the pedestrians were following the Highway Code.... "Walking FACING oncoming Traffic, perhaps he could have slowed down a touch. and overtaken them on the LEFT...but he may have put himself at risk in the face of oncoming traffic....:ugh:

Airborne Aircrew
4th Jun 2012, 22:36
I wish people had a damned clue what a garotte really is...

He wasn't garotted... If he was he'd be dead...

Carbon Bootprint
4th Jun 2012, 23:43
He wasn't garotted... I believe the technical term is "clotheslined." :}

Airborne Aircrew
5th Jun 2012, 00:11
Exactly... It's illegal in Rugby and American Football... Other than that I'm uncertain of the law... :ok:

Garotting would have been murder... Bloody Journo's need to get an education... Bunch of useless twits...

lomapaseo
5th Jun 2012, 01:47
This is like reading R&N after a prang

numerous off-the-wall judgemental opinions with only imanginative facts to support them.

In threads like this I tend to feel vindicated in my wishful opinions of rights and wrongs by some of the suggestions that I read from others

My opinion is that it was either an accidental closelining or a poor choice of using only a dog leash instead of a piano wire. :}

david1300
5th Jun 2012, 03:58

numerous off-the-wall judgemental opinions with only imanginative facts to support them.

In threads like this I tend to feel vindicated in my wishful opinions of rights and wrongs by some of the suggestions that I read from others

My opinion is that it was either an accidental closelining or a poor choice of using only a dog leash instead of a piano wire. :}
Anyone know the weather conditions at the time?
Was he heading outbound or returning to base?
How many in favour of operator error? And those in favour of equipment failure?
If only dog-leash manufacturers weren't run by bean-counters if could have finished the job off properly!
That's the trouble with the low-cost dog-walking model - your equipment will let you down just when you need it most.
It's all managements fault, being so cost concious. If only they had been allowed to spend the extra $ on a correct lead (weapon?) we wouldn't have this mess.
It's time for us dog-lead-technicians to draw the line and stand up to management so this doesn't happen again.

OK - what have I left out?

Of yes, Condolences to all; may this thread RIP. :\:\

Krystal n chips
5th Jun 2012, 04:21
As ever, not quite as the Mail infers....no surprise there given the rag has a template or two to generate the sort of response seen on here....

Lets start with the "middle aged couple"...cue emotive stereotype image of a refined genteel couple, well dressed etc, walking their dog.....erm, read the last paragraph below....and note the ages mentioned.

Walkers 'garrotte' young dad with dog lead as he rides motorbike on field near Failsworth | Manchester Evening News - menmedia.co.uk (http://menmedia.co.uk/manchestereveningnews/news/s/1572244_walkers-garrotte-young-dad-with-dog-lead-as-he-rides-motorbike-on-field-near-failsworth)

Next...how many of you on here actually know the area in question,,,the demographics and social conditions....?.....let me put it this way...whilst it's not "lawless"....it's not some rural idyll..... and it's unlikely to ever feature in the "des res postcode" lists... in fact, the location can be downright dodgy even in daylight....so, .as we don't know what else had transpired prior to the lead being stretched across the track....this may have some factual relevance of course...not that this would occur to the advocates of Salem...The Sequel 2012.... and this "middle aged couple" are a figment of some histrionic "reporting".....as always, maybe there's a lot more to this incident than the Mail ( and its readers ) can actually comprehend.

Then there's the victim to consider.....strolling through the green fields on a summers day ( just waxing lyrical here for the benefit of Mail readers )..who comes across a group of teenagers, presumably complete strangers...who duly lend him their motorbike....as you do to a complete stranger...there again, some people would be daft enough to I admit, but even so, this doesn't sound quite right...somehow.

stuckgear
5th Jun 2012, 07:46

but no one's posted a METAR yet !

OK - what have I left out?

it wouldn't have happened to a Boeing/Airbus*.

* delete as appropriate.

crippen
5th Jun 2012, 07:59
My opinion is that it was either an accidental closelining or a poor choice of using only a dog leash instead of a piano wire.

Round my home town in UK,the farmers use Barbed Wire.

green granite
5th Jun 2012, 08:13
I think you're all missing the obvious, the bloke was not taking his dog for a walk, it was his wife clipped on the end of the lead to stop her running off. When they jumped apart to let the biker through the lead pulled tight, case solved. :ok:

angels
5th Jun 2012, 08:15
Wow! My mum and dad will be laughing their heads off in heaven! I have been called a conservative little Englander! Fantastic.

My language has been emotive, I admit. My opion of shites riding motorbikes in this manner stays the same though.

But I've had a think about this. It must be really difficult to perfectly time holding up a dog lead at exactly the right time to precisely get him on the throat. They also must be immensely strong to keep the lead taut has he hurtled onto it -- pretty tough shoulders, elbows and wrists as well.

I'm beginning to wonder now if this 'middle-aged couple' are just the figment of a fertile imagination and that something else went wrong while he was fannying around.

green granite
5th Jun 2012, 09:46
Like a low branch.

david1300
5th Jun 2012, 10:11
Or the teenagers mates arriving in force

Milo Minderbinder
5th Jun 2012, 10:16
looks more like a cut due to a single strand of barbed wire

My guess would be he was riding along that track, was faced with people waling along and had nowhere to go except into the fence - and now he's trying to shift the blame elsewhere
It would be interesting to see the damage to the bike

Lon More
5th Jun 2012, 11:07
I'm surprised the Sun etc. hasn't taken this up. The mail is the only rag that's carrying it. Of, course, they wouldn't be trying to incite their "readers" to commit copycat crimes, would they? Although it seems to have worked on some here.

allan907
5th Jun 2012, 12:29
The incident happened after Mr Richmond, 23, and two friends approached some teenagers who were riding a green 125cc motorbike on grass in the Failsworth area of the city.

He and his friends asked for a turn on the bike.

And that's about as true a version of events as the tooth fairy's explanation of Father Christmas.

Slasher
5th Jun 2012, 12:35
He said: 'I remember the woman giving me a dirty look
beforehand, as if to say, "You shouldn’t be doing that".

'Perhaps I shouldn’t have been but that was no way to react.
You don’t expect that from middle-aged people.

Ha ha...yep! The pr!ck certainly didn't expect THAT did he!

Good to see oldies dishing it out to these low-life trash at the
same level these punks dish it out to them. :ok:

I agree - they should've done it properly and used piano wire.

Mechta
5th Jun 2012, 13:17
So, reading between the lines, a middled age couple out walking a dog witness Scrote plus two mates hijacking/stealing a motorbike from some youngsters; see Scrote ride towards them on misappropriated motorbike and use the only equipment available to them to apprehend said Scrote.

Now faced with injured and probably highly p*ssed off Scrote plus two mates, they are faced with getting involved in a further confrontation, or leaving the scene.

Lon More
5th Jun 2012, 13:38
I'm fed up. Off to bury some razor blades at the bottom of the wood where half the dogs in the village seem to crap and string a few shotgun shells up in the trees for their owners.

Milo Minderbinder
5th Jun 2012, 14:00
Far safer idea: sprinkle some Nitrogen triiodide around
Watch the little beasts yelp as it explodes mid-squat

gleaf
5th Jun 2012, 14:01
We are to believe that approx 250 lbs of machine and operator
arrived at a (assumed) nylon strap at 30 fps.
Hmmm. about 9000 ft lbs of energy.
4500 per girpping individual.

A. Leash parted.
B. Leash did not par and coupletoppled into machine operator
and each other.
C. Couples hands/arms are located near the bikes resting place
D. Other

Mechta
5th Jun 2012, 14:20
Gleaf,

D. Other - Lead holders let go, and/or rider let go of bike and fell off before 9000lbs figure was reached.

The ex Mrs Mechta had her handbag stolen by the passenger on a scooter in Rome, who stuck his arm through the shoulder strap and dragged it from her despite her hanging onto the bag for a moment. The two solutions I proposed to prevent this being a recurring problem were:

A strong bungee shoulder strap, and a brick or two in the handbag
A length of coarse toothed bandsaw blade running through the shoulder strap. Blade secured at one end, with the coiled remainder of the blade in the bag. Shoulder strap would break allowing blade to run through scooter passenger's arm/hand...

Unfortunately a second trip to Rome didn't occur, so no opportunity to test either...:E

OFSO
5th Jun 2012, 15:05
Two Drunken Englishwomen Savagly Attack Innocent Maroccan Tourist in Barcelona.

..so the story ran.

But in reality Mrs OFSO's yoga teacher and her friend the estate agent, both English and both legally in Spain, were on a shopping trip to Barcelona. Whilst in a shoe shop, lady one with a boot on one foot and a shoe on another, trying one out, had her handbag snatched by the N. African gentleman. Both ladies glanced at each other and took off down the road after him, clip clop, hoppety hop.

A couple of hundred metres down the road they caught up with him and he was beaten to the ground by the flying feminine fists. Following which lady two held him down and lady one took photographs of the cowering wretch with her phone. They then searched him, documented his papers and marched him back to the shop.

Where the police awaited, having been called by the shop owner. The perp was known to the police who thought it most amusing that this loathsome wretch had been caught by two ladies, and intimated to him that he'd totally lost his masculinity.

Unfortunately the ladies lost a few hours from their trip at the police station while the perp. was booked, the only negative aspect of the story.

It would have been interesting to see how two newspapers - say the "Mail" and the "Guardian" - would report the incident.

Torque Tonight
5th Jun 2012, 15:08
Have you ever walked up to some strangers and asked to borrow their motorbike. No? Me neither. Have you ever allowed a complete stranger to have a go in your car or bike? No? There are so many missing details in this story that I don't think anyone can reasonably draw any conclusions about what happened. My gut feeling is that none of the parties involved, the motorbike's owners, the motorbike's borrower or the pedestrians would be particularly comfortable about helping the police with their enquiries.

None of the above
5th Jun 2012, 16:38
Give it a couple of days and Plod will annnounce that 'we are no longer seeking anyone else in connection with this incident'.
This will be closely followed by the errant motorcyclist being nominated for the Booker Prize for Fiction.

heli-cal
5th Jun 2012, 17:19
Give it a couple of days and Plod will annnounce that 'we are no longer seeking anyone else in connection with this incident'.
This will be closely followed by the errant motorcyclist being nominated for the Booker Prize for Fiction.

Or charged with wasting police time!

stevef
5th Jun 2012, 20:00
A few years ago when I was unfortunate enough to live in C*v*n*ty, there were a bunch of youngsters between approx 13 and 18 years old that regularly used to ride a Honda monkey bike around the locality of a small shopping area (by Quinton Pool in Cheylesmore, if anyone knows it). They'd often take to racing along the pavement at a time when two local schools were closing for the day and weave between pedestrians collecting their kids.
I complained about this to an officer at the main police station, who was clearly underwhelmed by my story. He took my telephone number and address and said that a local community officer would visit me sometime to take more details.
I never heard anything else of the matter and I doubt there was any follow-up despite it being obvious there were road-worthiness, licencing, insurance and taxation issues.

unstable load
9th Jun 2012, 07:56
One drippy and cold night in Cape Town, I was en route home on my motorbike and, fortunately for me, tucked in behind the screen when I saw a flash of light across the road and felt a tug on my helmet. I stopped qnd went back to investigate and found a 3" wide length of fibre reinforced tape across the road at what should have been head height if I had been sat upright.
The local plod made the right noises and said it wasn't the first time it had happened and it was the local kids acting out and "Sorry, we don't know exactly who they are".
About the only time I have been grateful for the Cape winter weather on a bike......:hmm:

critter592
9th Jun 2012, 14:57
Like others, I suspect that there's more to this than meets the eye...:*

This is like reading R&N after a prang...

CFIDL*. :}

*Controlled Flight Into Dog Leash
OR
Chav Flies Into Dog Leash

None of the above
7th Aug 2012, 19:11
Anger of 'neck horror' biker Chris Richmond as couple escape charges (http://menmedia.co.uk/manchestereveningnews/news/s/1583499_anger-of-neck-horror-biker-chris-richmond-as-couple-escape-charges)

Make of it what you will.

PukinDog
7th Aug 2012, 20:36
SHJ

I wonder if such things happen in rural USA and Australia bearing in mind
people are able to carry weapons legally ?

It's illegal in the U.S. to booby-trap even your own property for the purpose of causing bodily harm or death to intruders or trespassers, let alone rig one on public property simply because you are annoyed at what someone is doing.

People applauding this should ask themselves if the couple had the legal right to carry a handgun where they were, would you still be so approving if under the same circumstances they had not used the leash but instead pulled the weapon and fired, hitting him in the neck?

Just asking, because as someone who as a kid knew another who decapitated himself by riding his snowmobile through a farmer's wire fence, I know it can just as lethal as mis-using a gun, and far bloodier. Is rigging this trap on a public path (and not even done in self-defense) really being seen as "clever" or "resourceful" or justifiable because 1) it was gun-less, and 2) the injurious and potentially lethal act is deemed ok because he's been deemed an "annoying chav"?

Now that I think of it, I'm happy some of you can't own guns. Who knows what you would do out there with them if someone spooked your dogs.

Mr Chips
7th Aug 2012, 20:42
No evidence = no charges. Seems fair....

Lon More
7th Aug 2012, 21:48
A man and a woman were interviewed by police but claimed they had witnesses who could prove they were innocent,

Were the witnesses interviewed?

GMP, not the most dilligent (http://menmedia.co.uk/manchestereveningnews/news/s/1585550_last-man-to-appear-in-court-over-manchester-riots-walks-free-after-police-fail-to-hand-over-evidence)
Was this "fair" Mr. Chips?

heli-cal
7th Aug 2012, 23:19
Perhaps the whining idiot will desist from riding uninsured, at 20 MPH, on a public footpath!

green granite
8th Aug 2012, 06:49
Good, after all a bloke takes his wife for a walk, clips a lead on her to stop her running off and along comes this nut on a motorbike.................

angels
8th Aug 2012, 09:09
heli-cal - :D :ok: :}

gingernut
8th Aug 2012, 23:24
Try and share the bridleway's with others in The Peaks. Most users, (walkers, motorcyclists, riders) are ok. "Mountain Bikers" can be &rseholes