PDA

View Full Version : Something Rather Odd Happened to Me Yesterday

Lance Murdoch
3rd Jun 2012, 15:06
I was driving through Shropshire on Saturday afternoon when I got flagged down by a man in a layby. Thinking that his car had broken down (and considering that my car broke down a few weeks ago and some people very kindly stopped to help me) I pulled over. Said man, who I think was either of Arabic or Latin American origin, stated in broken English that his mother had taken ill and he needed some money for petrol to get to London. After considering I gave him the 12 or so that I had on me and he gave me a gold ring in return (he offered me his watch as well but I refused).

Now this puts me in a dilemna as there are two possible explanations :-

Either

1. Ive been scammed.

or

2. He was genuine and Ive paid 12 for a real gold ring which will be worth considerably more.

Now if its number 1 then shame on him and apart from loosing 12 and feeling a bit foolish and becoming more cynical (as well encouraging him to try this with another mug) Ive not really suffered any harm.

But if he was genuine (if he wasnt then it was an oscar winning performance) and Ive paid 12 for something that will be worth considerably more I am not sure what I should do. (Note Ive not had the ring valued yet). The options would be either :-

Assuming that the ring is valuable I could flog it and pocket a good profit - but Im not keen to do this as one should help people because its the right thing to do, not because one may make money out of it.

The alternatives are flog the ring, keep the 12 and donate the balance to a deserving cause or try to trace this man and post the ring back to him, although Im not sure if it would be possible to do this. If he was genuinely in trouble then I dont mind letting him keep the 12 as Im rather lucky that Im not short of a bob or two and this is a stark reminder of how the other half live.

Has anyone been in a similar situation who could offer advice?

Sallyann1234
3rd Jun 2012, 15:22
If he had run out of petrol in a layby, your 12 wasn't much good to him there.

Q. Why didn't he ask you for a lift to a petrol station?

A. He was waiting for the next punter to come along.

wings folded
3rd Jun 2012, 15:28
Either

1. Ive been scammed.

Yes, you have.

Tableview
3rd Jun 2012, 15:29
Intuitively, I feel you've been scammed. I hope I'm wrong. Please let us know!

I have had similar experiences. One was at Victoria station in London when a young US American girl approached me and said she was desperate for money for a hostel as she couldn't contact her parents to wire her money (this was years before internet and email and so on). As I thought it was a scam, I took her to one of those accommodation offices they have at such stations and got her a room and paid for it - if I recall about 10. She asked me my name and address and assured me she would get her parents to send me the money. Reflecting on my (relative) affluence, I said she didn't need to bother. To my surprise, a week or so later I received a charming letter of thanks from her parents in the USA with about $50.

More recently, a little shit on a motor scooter came to our door on a cold wet night whilst we had friends over for dinner, and asked for 10 saying he'd been robbed and had no money for fuel to get home. I offered him petrol and he said it needed a 'special mix'. I offered to mix petrol with oil as it was a 2-stroke and he refused. SWMBO said the lad was barely older than our own son and I should help him. Against my better judgement I gave him the money and he gave me a name and address and promised he'd come the next day with the money.

I went inside and to much amusement showed them the piece of paper on which he'd written the name of some footballer (whom obviously I'd never heard of ...) and an address which turned out to be fake.

I did get my revenge weeks later when I saw the scooter in the village, chained it to a lamp-post and left a note saying he had to come round with the money to the house from which he'd scammed money, and I'd release the bike. He may have done it to a number as it was several days before he arrived, and of course I was busy and left him to sit it out until the evening!

Then there was the pretty Canadian girl who approached me outside a phone box in Madrid, to cut a long story short I paid for her to call her family in Ontario, booked her into a hostel for the night, her parents transferred money for her into my account - very trustingly. She ended up coming to live with me for several months, and one evening I went home after work to find she'd left and taken all her stuff, leaving no note, nothing. She hadn't stolen anything from me (except a piece of my heart), left the flat clean and tidy, bed made, washing up done, all normal. I had no way of contacting her, never heard from her again. We hadn't had an argument, I'd left for work in the morning, everything was perfectly normal. One of life's unsolved mysteries.

Davaar
3rd Jun 2012, 15:35
What is the penalty where you are these days on a conviction of receiving stolen property? ["Yer Honour, Ah saw ra watch/ring fa' affa the back o' a larry. So it did, but...."]

probes
3rd Jun 2012, 15:35
Tview: Ask OFSO. He'll tell you women are a mystery anyway. :E

DX Wombat
3rd Jun 2012, 15:40
It's a scam.
I was towing the caravan near Cosford when I was flagged down. Suspecting that there might be something wrong which I couldn't see from my position I pullled in. I opened the passenger side window a tiny bit and a, probably Romanian, man asked me for money for a taxi for his sick baby as his car had broken down. I offered to phone for an ambulance or other emergency help. He insisted that he just needed some cash and dropped a think gold-coloured ring and neck chain through the tiny crack. By this time my suspicions were really aroused and I managed to flag down a passing Police car. As I did so the car with the sick baby departed. According to the two nice Police officers who had stopped, this is a common scam in the west Midlands, particularly in the cities. What, I asked, shall I do with the jewellery? Just hang on to it for six months in case they wish to report it as lost but I don't think that's very likely do you? was the reply. Several months later I handed it in to a charity shop. The police did say they were glad I hadn't opened the windows wide or got out of the car as that could have put me in danger. Don't worry about the ring, it is probably part of a job lot of very cheap jewellery and he probably had a lot more in the car waiting for his next victims. So, no guilt please and put it down to experience.

Milo Minderbinder
3rd Jun 2012, 15:47
round here its a Romanian gypsy girl who hangs round the entrance to Morrisons or Sainsbury (never Asda or Tesco) with a baby in a sling, offering to sell her family jewellery so she can get milk for the baby

Storminnorm
3rd Jun 2012, 15:55
Whatever you do, DON'T wear the ring. Your finger will drop off.

Firestorm
3rd Jun 2012, 16:10
I have been subjected to a similar 'offer' by someone (I think of Eastern European or from Hungary or Romania) who when I refused to buy a gold ring for first 20, then 15 became quite aggressive. He was fencing stolen goods, and when I told him to piss off before I called the police, he thinned out faster then you can imagine. That confirmed my suspicion, and the Old Bill were grateful for information received.

You have been scammed, be very careful how you dispose of the ring as you can be done for receiving stolen goods, or if you try to sell it on.

Lance Murdoch
3rd Jun 2012, 16:11
Thanks Norm:)

So the consenus seems to be that its a scam. Is it worth reporting to the police? Im not really bothered about loosing the cash, but what does annoy me is the fact that these people take advantage of other peoples good nature and make it less likely that people will stop to help those that really are in trouble. Not a society I want to live in.

DX Wombat
3rd Jun 2012, 16:13
Go and report the matter to the Police and ask for their advice as to what to do with the ring.

angels
3rd Jun 2012, 16:24
Yip, what DX says.

The police will be interested to know this is going on in their patch. If they do know about it already it may help establish a pattern.

If the ring is lost/stolen they may be able to match it with the owner which would be worth 12 quid of delight for you any day.

If the story is genuine (I doubt it very much) then the ring is yours, with no guilt, after the proper time.

And do stop again, it may be me! The fact one toe-rag has done you should not disguise the fact there are nice folk out there. Be a bit more careful next time!

airship
3rd Jun 2012, 16:32
Vote for us! Trust in us! (Any major political party). Once voted in, we promise to always represent your interests 100% and never shaft you...? One shafting is illegal, another completely legal...? Confucious say: "Man who has open spirit must live with sore bum"! :sad:

angels
3rd Jun 2012, 16:35
A pint of what airship had please!

OFSO
3rd Jun 2012, 19:38
Ask OFSO. He'll tell you women are a mystery anyway

OFSO can also tell you that the genuine gold ring scam is perpetrated on hapless visitors on every bridge crossing the Seine, hundreds of times a day.

But yes probes I can. Why is it that when going away for a few days we men think "what's the least I can get away with packing ?" and our wives think "what's the most I can squeeze into my case without the sides actually coming off when I buy even more while away ?"

unstable load
3rd Jun 2012, 19:49
If you lend someone $20 and never see him again, it was probably worth it.......:ok:

Ozzy
3rd Jun 2012, 19:58
round here its a Romanian gypsy girl who hangs round the entrance to Morrisons or Sainsbury (never Asda or Tesco) with a baby in a sling, offering to sell her family jewellery so she can get milk for the baby

I would go into the store, buy a pint of milk, come outside and pour the stuff over the head of the sheeite who is scamming. Got milk?

Ozzy

The SSK
3rd Jun 2012, 21:36
Google 'gold ring scam', it's endemic in big cities.

Tankertrashnav
3rd Jun 2012, 21:46
The current value of 9ct gold is over 12/gramme for scrap (9ct is the lowest purity of gold used in the manufacture of jewellery - most overseas countries use higher grades)

Therefore unless the ring is paper thin it will weigh several grammes, so if it is gold you are on to a substantial profit. Therefore it's pretty obvious that you have been given a cheap plated ring which has virtually no second hand value. Write it down to experience.

Windy Militant
3rd Jun 2012, 23:18
A couple of years ago I was a regular visitor to Leicester Forest East Services. (it was about the limit of my bladders endurance on that run!) Every time I stopped I was approached by a guy offering cheap designer clothes . After telling him no several times I eventually got rid of him by asking him if I looked like the sort of Chap who would buy designer clobber even if it wasn't hooky. I pointed out to him that I bought most of my clothes at the farmers supplies. I then suggested to him if he actually wanted to get rid of his wares to try the tango people in the dodgy Burberry gear with the fake tans and trashy bling. Must have worked cos the next time he saw me he waved and gave me a thumbs up. :}

Dan Winterland
4th Jun 2012, 03:56
I was sitting in the airport departures coffee shop with my F/O one day when two female backpackers came up to us and said they were hungry and couls we buy them some food. My immediate thought was to tell them to go away, but this seemed a little strange, so we asked them why. It transpired they were contestants in "The incredible race" TV reality game show and were on the way to the next leg, but it was a long time to their next flight and wern't allowed to carry or accept money as part of the rules. All they could do was rely on the kindness of stangers. They had approached us because they were both flight attendants for a French airline and thought pilots would help.

We bought them sandwiches and fruit juice and the TV crew videoed us us. I later saw them on the show, running around Hong Kong trying to find clues on a boat in Aberdeen harbour, but I didn't make an appearance.

I don't think it was a scam!

ExSp33db1rd
4th Jun 2012, 04:24
...........and our wives think "what's the most I can squeeze into my case without the sides actually coming off when I buy even more while away ?"

Here ! Here !

( discussed this about a week ago, the two night stopover only four hours drive from home resulted in two large duffle bags - plus sundry attachments and purses and three jackets loose on the back seat -for Mrs ExS and 1 small grip for me. One of her two wasn't even opened, but still had to be dragged into the hotel.)

Lantern10
4th Jun 2012, 04:54
First time I flew out of Phuket a youngish couple approached me and told me they didn't know about the 500Baht each departure tax and could I lend them the 1000 they needed. (they had overspent on their honeymoon) As they were flying into BNE same as me, I went to the ATM and pulled out the 1000.
They told me they were being met at the airport by the girls dad. My only worry was them doing a bunk at the airport, but all was good and the girls father happly handed me 50AUD and of course thanked me.
I guess you just go with your gut feeling.

KAG
4th Jun 2012, 05:12
It happened to ma a few times, will most likely happen again in the future as I have no troubles helping anyone, but I have never accepted anything in exchange.
This thing you'd accept could have been stolen, could have dangerous germ on it, and so on. Troubles.
A scam? Well of course, but it doesn't mena the guy is not in trouble and doesn't need help!
When you are as low as begging for money to strangers, even if lying, you have to be in some kind of troubles and difficult situation anyway.

In addition, when I give money to help somebody, I prefer to keep it that way, I don't want the guy turns it all around like we are just doing some deal and are helping each other. If somebody asks you money he should assume it, and you too. Because there not only the financial aspect, there is the moral and psychologic one too, your thread being the proof of it.

Krystal n chips
4th Jun 2012, 05:26
Lance.........just being curious here, which part of the County did this encounter ( scam ) take place in ?....I only ask because ( and I am not being contentious here ) away from Telford / Wellington / Oakengates and to a lesser extent, Shrewsbury, the County is not really noted for having a high ethnic mix.

The " I have just come from a trade show, would you like some surplus designer stock" ...as offered to the public, in Motorway service car parks..as you do of course....seems to have vanished now...for some inexplicable reason...

On the other hand, I used to drive a van for some friends who had a weekend hobby business..lights, noise, theatre props that sort of thing and we went to some diverse venues...parked up in Manchester one night, on a main road in the city and there's a knock on the door window...now, not being as daft as I look, I always kept the van door locked when I was with the vehicle....he started very politely..could I just lend him 10 as he and his 10 yr old daughter were stuck..he'd lost his wallet it seems ( quite heart rending really )....despite my altruism, I declined to help him....at which point he duly headbutted the window....and walked off informing me he "would be back to fck me over later"....some people have no idea of social graces do they....

Speaking to the guys on the door of the venue later...who had been watching all this "with interest" it seems your man was well known to them..he seemingly started in Deansgate and worked his way round the city on a well established route....every Friday / Saturday night.

Arm out the window
4th Jun 2012, 05:48
We hadn't had an argument, I'd left for work in the morning, everything was perfectly normal. One of life's unsolved mysteries.

That is a strange and touching story, Tableview, a bit like a novel plot. It does raise a few questions in my mind, though.

Did you feel like you knew the girl, or that she was hiding something?

If you knew where her parents were from, and they'd put money in your account, couldn't you use that as a lead to trace her, perhaps?

Did you think about contacting the police? Obviously if you're living with someone in a relatively stable arrangement and then they just disappear, wouldn't you be worried that something untoward had happened to them?

I may be reading way more into this than what it was, but I reckon I'd want to chase her up out of curiosity if nothing else.

Ralis
4th Jun 2012, 06:03
I told a begger once that I woundn't give him any money as his shoes were better than mine (i know he probally stole them but thats not the point)

ExSp33db1rd
4th Jun 2012, 06:41
I was once asked if I could give a guy a quarter ( 25c ) for a cup of coffee (well it was a long time ago !) and I said I would be delighted to give him a quarter for a cup of coffee - where's the coffee ? ( and no, I didn't )

Lance Murdoch
4th Jun 2012, 08:20
KAG - You raise some good points and I'll be aware of that in the future but at the time you dont necessarily have time to stop and think it through.

Krystal - Ive sent you a PM with a location.

Well Ive decided to take DX Wombats advice and I will report it to the local police station today (I live about 25 miles away from where this happened) as Im passing that way. I will hand in the ring because if its stolen I dont want to run the risk of getting into trouble for receiving stolen goods as well as it may get returned to its rightful owner.

I must admit its not something that I would expect in rural Shropshire. I think that its less likely I would have fallen for it had I been in London or one of the rougher parts of Birmingham but I suppose we live and learn.

cavortingcheetah
4th Jun 2012, 08:37
Better just make sure that the ring could not be construed as any part of a golden gun though. Fatuous firearms phobic fanaticism is rife in the country.
Chap I know of found a short barrel shotgun in a black plastic bag at the end of his garden and handed it into the local police. They arrested him for illegal possession and transport of a firearm and he went down for the statutory minimum of five years. I do believe he got out after eighteen months on appeal. So I wonder if you could get locked up for transporting stolen goods? Perhaps it might be better to telephone the police and have them send a squad car around to collect the thing?

Krystal n chips
4th Jun 2012, 08:42
My thanks Lance....returned to you.

UniFoxOs
4th Jun 2012, 09:38
Better just make sure that the ring could not be construed as any part of a golden gun though. Fatuous firearms phobic fanaticism is rife in the country.

Especially in Shropshire?

Sex toy sparks police seige in Telford - Sunday Mercury (http://www.sundaymercury.net/news/midlands-news/2012/05/27/sex-toy-sparks-police-seige-in-telford-66331-31055144/)

Still, they are getting their revenge for being made to look like fools by actually charging him for having an imitation fiirearm. Never seen a dildo-shaped gun before myself.

Cheers
UFO

Mechta
4th Jun 2012, 11:16
Cavortingcheetah, I take it this is the case to which you refer?:

Ex-soldier faces jail for handing in gun | This is Surrey (http://www.thisissurreytoday.co.uk/Ex-soldier-faces-jail-handing-gun/story-12659234-detail/story.html)

(http://www.thisissurreytoday.co.uk/Ex-soldier-faces-jail-handing-gun/story-12659234-detail/story.html)The next two questions are:

If Mr Clarke left the gun where it was and it was on his land, is that possession?
If, between finding the gun and the police coming to collect it, the gun had been taken by a third party and used in a crime, would Mr Clarke have been considered negligent?

bulolobob
4th Jun 2012, 11:55
A 'heads up' for those people who may be regular Bunnings customers. (Bunning is our local hardware superstore)
This one caught me by surprise.

Over the last month I became a victim of a clever scam while out shopping.
Simply going out to get hardware supplies has turned out to be quite traumatic.
Don't be naive enough to think it couldn't happen to you or your friends.

Here's how the scam works:

Two seriously good-looking 20-21 year-old girls come over to your car as you are packing your shopping into the boot.
They both start wiping your windshield with a rag and Windex window cleaner, with their breasts almost falling out of their skimpy T-shirts.
It is impossible not to look.

When you thank them and offer them a tip, they say 'No' and instead ask you for a ride to McDonalds.
You agree and they get into the back seat.
On the way, they start undressing and fondling.
Then one of them climbs over into the front seat and starts crawling all over you, putting her hands all over you, unzipping zips, etc, etc while the other one steals your wallet...!!
I had my wallet stolen May 4th, 9th, 10th, twice on the 15th, 17th, 20th, 24th & 28th.
Also June 2nd & 4th, twice on the 8th, 9th, and three times last Saturday and very likely again this upcoming weekend.

So tell your friends to be careful.

P.S. K-Mart has wallets on sale for 2.99 each. I found cheaper ones for
$1.99 at Best and Less and bought them out.

dead_pan
4th Jun 2012, 12:12
I fell for exactly this scam a few years back whilst driving down the M4. A swarthy Meditterranean looking chap flagged me down claiming he had run out of fuel, with the inevitable sob-story that he was on the way to visit his dying grandmother etc etc. I gave him a fiver at which he gave me a rather brash gold ring ring he had been wearing - in a fit of embarrassment I gave it back to him and drove off. Last I saw of him he was trying to flag the next sucker down.

cavortingcheetah
4th Jun 2012, 12:16
That's the one Mechta.
Even if you find the shooters or the ammo, the mere transportation of such items, even to the police station, is a serious offense. It all rather defeats any common sense behind cooperating with the police who do nothing but make enemies of themselves.

Ancient Observer
4th Jun 2012, 14:13
It's a scam.
On J2 of the M40, where there are Services, there is often a Romanian/Mediterranean guy with, presumably a supply of gold rings all of which fit his fingers, seeking money from cars.
As it is near Beaconsfield he asks for 15.

rgbrock1
4th Jun 2012, 14:18
Basil wrote:

Some guy in High Wycombe tried to engage me in conversation - I told him to fvck off! Was I wrong?

Not at all Basil, not at all. Here on the side of the pond whenever someone I don't know tries to engage me in conversation I always tell them to fvck off. Usually works too.

Tableview
4th Jun 2012, 15:41
Arm out the window

I wasn't going to bore people with the details but as you asked :

This was in 1989 and Telefonica's services were pretty basic. Therefore I had no itemised phone calls, in fact we had an old phone with a rotary dial. So there was no way of tracing any calls - although I knew she 'phoned her parents every few days and they 'phoned her, I'd spoken to them sometimes when I answered the phone, but I had no way of getting their number. She had a common Anglo-Saxon surname (Webster) and I knew they lived near Toronto, so it would have been looking for an needle in a haystack. There was no internet in those days so no-online phone directories.

She used to get mail from friends and family in Canada, pretty regularly and all with Toronto area postmarks, but I never noted any details. Sometimes when she wrote back I took her mail to the office to post for her but I never even took a mental note of the addresses. There was no reason to do so.

I was able to track the bank transfer but it was cash paid over the counter into a bank in Toronto by a Mr. J. Webster (her father), so another dead end there.

I was naturally worried, but she had taken everything from the flat so precisely and completely that it was clearly not an abduction or a spur of the moment decision, although she didn't have a lot of stuff and she was very neat and tidy so most of her stuff was in one place. She'd even taken her CDs from the rack, but left one that she knew I liked, although I'll never know whether that was by mistake or intentional. As I said, she'd even done the washing up, tidied the flat, as she always did (I am a messy bastard!), ironed a couple of my shirts and hung them up.

There was money in the flat, several different European currencies, and quite a lot, also South African Rand and USD. She didn't as far as I know take a single cent of mine or any item that wasn't hers.

I did contact the police but they said no crime was committed and there was nothing they could do. I also contacted the Canadian consulate and they said the same and that they had no records of her presence in Spain. She had renewed her visa with the Ministerio del Interior a few weeks before she left, as she would otherwise have overstayed the allowed period of 90 days, I went to see them but they would not divulge any information - knowing the Spanish they had probably lost it anyway!

Through working in the airline industry I was able to check with most of the airlines flying out of Madrid but was unable to find a record of her on any flight.

I went to a few of the places that we used to go to together, there were a couple of bars and restaurants, nobody had seen her since the last time were there together. I contacted our mutual friends who all seemed genuinely shocked that she had disappeared, including another Canadian girl that she had befriended and got quite close to, she helped me a lot in trying to trace her to but also drew a blank. She had had no intimation whatsoever that Annie (not her real name!) had planned to leave and thought we were 'an item' and that she had every intention of staying and eventually learning Spanish and getting a job so she could stay with me.

A couple of her local friends rang or came round to see her/us after she'd left, but from the day she left neither her parents nor her brother, who used to call regularly from Canada ever called, so they apparently knew that she had left.

None of the neighbours nor the 'conserje' of the flat had seen her leave.

These days with the facilities of the internet, it would have been pretty easy to find her, I am also a lot more resourceful than I was then, but although I made all reasonable efforts to find out what had happened, I never did.

I never felt that she was hiding anything from me, I never asked her much about her life in Canada, at that stage I'd never been to Toronto, only to the West Coast, so I had no terms of reference as a basis for talking about it.

So there you are. It was strangely cathartic writing all this down as I've never done so before. Hope it wasn't too boring to read!

TZ350
4th Jun 2012, 16:13
[quote] cavortingcheetah
Chap I know of found a short barrel shotgun................

If this is the chap ;
Paul Clarke applies for Surrey Police Commissioner role | This is Surrey (http://www.thisissurreytoday.co.uk/Merstham-soldier-convicted-handing-gun-applies/story-16173383-detail/story.html)

I would hope he is successful....................but I'd guess there would be more than a few uniformed :mad: with vested interests :yuk: to make sure he isn't .

reynoldsno1
5th Jun 2012, 02:30
Even if you find the shooters or the ammo, the mere transportation of such items, even to the police station, is a serious offense. It all rather defeats any common sense behind cooperating with the police who do nothing but make enemies of themselves.

Indeed - after my father died my mother mentioned that she thought he had a gun somewhere, a 'memento' of the war. I found the 9mm Beretta, plus ammunition, in an old hair dryer box. It was loaded, with one up the spout, but thankfully I was familiar with weapons and made it safe.

Mum then told me I should take it to the police. I told her I was quite happy to drive her to the police station, but I would then go for a short walk whilst she handed it in ... she agreed, and no more came of it.:)

Lance Murdoch
5th Jun 2012, 09:13
Well I reported the incident to the police yesterday morning (once I managed to find a police station that was open on a bank holiday). Apparently they have not had any reports of anything similar happening in that area. I offered to hand the ring in but they didnt seem too interested as its fairly non descript and would be impossible to trace (its probably coated steel anyway).

Not much else I can do. Ive purchased 12 worth of experience and hopefully despite the slight embarrasment of admitting to be conned in this way, it will stop the same thing from happening to someone else.

angels
5th Jun 2012, 09:36
Not conned Lance, your generosity and kindness were abused.

Let's hope your report means the old bill keep 'em peeled for something similar. Your story may well yet lead to an arrest (yes, I know.....)

RedhillPhil
5th Jun 2012, 09:47
Cavortingcheetah, I take it this is the case to which you refer?:

Ex-soldier faces jail for handing in gun | This is Surrey (http://www.thisissurreytoday.co.uk/Ex-soldier-faces-jail-handing-gun/story-12659234-detail/story.html)

(http://www.thisissurreytoday.co.uk/Ex-soldier-faces-jail-handing-gun/story-12659234-detail/story.html)The next two questions are:

If Mr Clarke left the gun where it was and it was on his land, is that possession?
If, between finding the gun and the police coming to collect it, the gun had been taken by a third party and used in a crime, would Mr Clarke have been considered negligent?

Yes and yes. There are two sides to every story and let's just say I wouldn't trust this man Clarke with a bag of jellybeans.

mustpost
5th Jun 2012, 09:57
9mm Beretta, plus ammunition
Friend of mine found one while helping an old pal relocate to a nursing home, one up the spout as well. He considered the consequences of the situations outlined here; it now rests at the bottom of a fairly deep reservoir...

tony draper
5th Jun 2012, 10:40
Out walking the hound last year when a car pulls up along side,bloke inside winds window down and says he is Italian and his name is Antonio,by use of sign language and shouting one managed to indicate one's name was also Antonio,he then pulls our boxes containing posh gold watches or reasonable facsimilies thereof and says these he has been told by his company to hand out to deserving Gateshead pensioners and would I like one ,one obviously said yes in sign language,he then told me his company credit card had run out and could and could I furnish him with a tenner for petrol to get to the airport.
One dispensed with sign language and simply shouted F*** Orf!!
:rolleyes:

etrang
5th Jun 2012, 11:16
Chap I know of found a short barrel shotgun in a black plastic bag at the end of his garden and handed it into the local police. They arrested him for illegal possession and transport of a firearm and he went down for the statutory minimum of five years.

He didn't "go down for 5 years". He got a 12 months suspended sentence. You don't say how well you know this "chap", but the police didn't believe his story about just finding a shotgun in his back garden.

Mechta
5th Jun 2012, 11:38
This suggests that there was a lot more to the story than there was at first glance. Evidently there was a fair amount of bad blood between the Police and Mr Clarke. The Police evidently regarded it as a perfect opportunity to stitch him up, and his delay (understandable in the circumstances) in getting the gun to the Police gave them a case for charging him. One has to wonder if the Superintendent to whom he intended to hand the gun was intentionally unavailable though.

Gun find soldier walks free from court | This is Surrey (http://www.thisissurreytoday.co.uk/GUN-SOLDIER-WALKS-FREE-COURT/story-12664247-detail/story.html)

This could make life interesting for both sides:

Paul Clarke applies for Surrey Police Commissioner role | This is Surrey (http://www.thisissurreytoday.co.uk/Merstham-soldier-convicted-handing-gun-applies/story-16173383-detail/story.html)

ZH875
5th Jun 2012, 12:47
How far can you get from shropshire towards London for £12?, with petrol around £6 per gallon.

onetrack
5th Jun 2012, 16:43
How far can you get from shropshire towards London for 12?, with petrol around 6 per gallon

Just far enough to find another layby to pull the same scam on another fresh lot of suckers??

I've managed to spend a week in every tourist hot spot in Paris, roam around Spain (including Barcelona, street scam capital of the world, it seems). I've toured the streets of Lisbon and walked through some grubby-looking, graffiti-strewn areas.
I've ridden the underground in Madrid & Barcelona, transited Milan, tramped the streets of London and Edinburgh. I've transited many a grotty bus transit terminal and railway station. I've transited more than a dozen or two "suss-looking" airports.
I've driven many a road, through some dodgy suburbs with wrecked cars on front lawns everywhere.
I've wandered around the back streets of many a city and hamlet in Vietnam, Laos, Thailand, Bali - and I've never been scammed, not once.

Is there something wrong with me? Do I need to reduce my "hard man" appearance? Do I need to present my SNAG side? Do I need to visit Nigeria to round out my experiences? Please advise.

GANNET FAN
6th Jun 2012, 11:21
A man is in bed with his wife when there is a rat-a-tat-tat on the
door.
He rolls over and looks at his clock, it's half past three in the morning. "I'm not getting out of bed at this time," he thinks, and rolls over. Then, a louder knock follows.
Aren't you going to answer that?" says his wife.

So he drags himself out of bed and goes downstairs. He opens the door and there's a man standing there. It didn't take the home-owner long to realise the man was drunk.

"Hi there," slurs the stranger. "Can you give me a push??"

"No, get lost. It's half past three. I was in bed," says the man and slams the door. He goes back up to bed and tells his wife what happened and she says, "That wasn't very nice of you. Remember that night we broke down in the pouring rain on the way to pick the kids up from the baby sitter and you had to knock on that man's house to get us started again? What would have happened if he'd told us to get lost??"

"But the guy was drunk," says the husband.

"It doesn't matter," says the wife. "He needs our help and it would be the correct thing to help him." So the husband gets out of bed again, gets dressed, and goes downstairs. He opens the door, and not being able to see the stranger anywhere he shouts,"Hey, do you still want a push??"
He hears a voice cry out, "Yeah please."

So, still being unable to see the stranger he shouts, "Where are you?"

The stranger replies, "I'm over here, on your swing."

sitigeltfel
6th Jun 2012, 12:14
Some "charities" try to pull a fast one here. They stand in a group by roads close to motorways dressed in light blue T shirts and hi-viz vests and wave down drivers to stop. At first glance they look like Gendarmes, but most people are savvy to them and it is mostly the tourists who get caught and subjected to the hard sell.

Tableview
6th Jun 2012, 12:24
I was having dinner one evening in a restaurant in Rondebosch, right opposite the police station, when a girl came round selling roses for a charity for which I was a volunteer. Needless to say it wasn't one of our fund raising methods, so I told her I was going out to fetch my chequebook from the car. I went out and returned with a policeman just as she was about to leave with her ill-gotten gains.

The moral of the story is to ask these people for some kind of authentifying document which any proper charity will provide.

angels
6th Jun 2012, 13:52
I've been to over 50 countries and been scammed twice.

1) Bangkok, night, half cut. Cabbie gives me 100 Burmese kyat note instead of 100 baht note in my change. Loss? About 2.50.

2) District 1, HCMC. Argument over boat fare. Gave in. $5.

I have been scammed many times in the UK, but I suppose EON, EDF etc don't count??!!

OFSO
6th Jun 2012, 14:07
Funny thing: 99/100 I pass a street begger by (note, begger not scammer). But 1% of the time I feel disposed to give a few coins. Wonder why ? There's just some aspect of the occasional begger which appeals to me.....

Mrs OFSO said she was approached by a lady selling The Big Issue last week in the Smoke. She was going to buy one when she realised the lady was texting, and on a superior sort of smart phone at that, which Mrs OFSO tells me she herself can't afford, so she thought "stuff it" and kept her money in her purse.....

Mike6567
7th Jun 2012, 16:49
I have just had a Neighbourhood Watch alert with a similar scenario

"Police are asking residents to be vigilant after a number of incidents in different parts of the county where people have had jewellery taken.
In each incident a car has stopped and someone in the car has asked the victim for directions to a hospital and beckoned the victim over to the car. They have then put jewellery around their wrist or neck; or put rings on their fingers and whilst doing so stole the victim's jewellery"

Several incidents are then listed in the Hertfordshire area.

max nightstop
7th Jun 2012, 20:26
Watch out for this one:

I had a UK ATPL and some con man told me that I would soon need an EASA version or I wouldn't be able to work. I might have to sit an exam to get the EASA one but they weren't sure. However, they told me that if I had a JAR License then I would be ok. The scammer said that if I sent them a cheque for 150 they would send me a piece of paper almost exactly like the piece I already have but with the initials UK replaced by JAR.

I'm embarrassed to say I fell for this con; should I tell the police?