PDA

View Full Version : Jet time....

michaelbarns
3rd Jun 2012, 11:57
Does anyone have any advice on getting my first jet time... Ive got 4000hrs on twin turbo props and an ATP but desperatley need to get jet time!
Any advice on where to go or what to do? And please dont say China as they all require 500hrs on type eg A320... Im really stuck and am also willing to bond my house to pay for a jet rating if that secures say 500 hours on a jet :confused:
thank guys

skyvan
3rd Jun 2012, 12:15
Get to the UK, write all the exams there and get a EASA (JAA) licence, and then buy your way into Ryanair or Easyjet.

Lots of pilots before you have done it that way, it is part of the stepping stones of a career. You will be paid badly, and overworked, but within about 2-3 years you could have a B737 or A320 command.

After that, the world is your oyster.

Propellerpilot
3rd Jun 2012, 13:29
I can second skyvan on that one (it worked for me) - but only IF you have European citizenship and the right to work in Europe. It will not be easy and it will cost $$$ and there are still no guarantees - jobs over here are few - even for guys with experience and pay sucks due to high cost of living and rent.
Is the investment all worth it longterm ? - Remains to be seen...

Solid Rust Twotter
3rd Jun 2012, 17:57
Jets are not the be all and end all. There is life outside the airlines.

yambat
3rd Jun 2012, 18:11
Second that SRT, its just a closely shrouded multi bladed propellor, well, very multi bladed.
Its hard in SA, good luck

AJA402
10th Jun 2012, 10:50
I feel for you, however like SRT states there are other avenues. In fact unless one finds a cushy job at one of the top 3 airlines in SA your average Turbo prop operater will pay way better. But some would argue you would have less job satisfaction.

Up to you really.

I have some info on interair if you're keen...

three eighty
10th Jun 2012, 12:38
I don't think Cathay require jet time.