PDA

View Full Version : Shift Key error ?

ExSp33db1rd
3rd Jun 2012, 10:40
Just bought a new Netbook, the Asus EE X101CH

When trying to type an e-mail address and using the Shift key to get the @ character, I get " instead, i.e. fredbloggs"isp.com.

The @ and " characters are transposed, tho; the primary keys, i.e. the 2 and the ' are correct, only the shift function is incorrect, tried switching the keyboard language between US and UK to no effect.

Any clues pls. ?

audioaviator
3rd Jun 2012, 10:56
Sounds like you've got US keyboard layout, change it to UK layout, and your @ and " will be put back where they belong!

audioaviator
3rd Jun 2012, 10:57
Guhh! Helps if I had read your post correctly!
Sorry, no idea!

Milo Minderbinder
3rd Jun 2012, 11:08
audioaviator

NO reason for "doooh" - you gave the correct answer
Its been set up with a USA keyboard
Just needs changing to UK in control panel

BOAC
3rd Jun 2012, 12:30
As the above say, it sounds like a US/UK keyboard issue which makes the fact that you say you have 'changed it' puzzling! The @ and " characters are transposed, tho; the primary keys, i.e. the 2 and the ' are correct It sounds as if you actually have a US keyboard (see below) rather than a 'US' setting in Windows. Where did you 'buy' it? I reckon you need the 'US' keyboard setting in Control Panel if that is your key layout.

Tutorial: Remapping a US Keyboard in the UK (Windows) « Andy's Ramblings (http://andrewbradford.co.uk/blog/tutorial-remapping-a-us-keyboard-in-the-uk-windows)

You did not say which OS, though! W7?

ExSp33db1rd
3rd Jun 2012, 23:40
I reckon you need the 'US' keyboard setting in Control Panel if that is your key layout.

Yes, that worked, thanks. I'd changed the Language but not the Keyboard.
( course - I've now lost the UK Pound sign, but I use that much less often, so can live with that ! )

Muchas Grassyass.

BOAC
4th Jun 2012, 08:15
I'm sure Google will come up with a way to re-programme a key if you have a burning desire for the old £:p

Milo Minderbinder
4th Jun 2012, 09:14
try Alt + 0163 to get £

ExSp33db1rd
5th Jun 2012, 09:50
try Alt + 0163 to get £

Been trying that for a few years - ever since I got Vista !

Worked OK on Win 98 but not now.

I can get the Character Map OK, and copy, but it all seems too much bother, quicker to write quid !

( I blame Bill Gates )

Thanks anyway.

BOAC
5th Jun 2012, 10:25
If you feel the need.............................
Download KeyTweak 2.3.0 Free - Remap your keyboard. - Softpedia (http://www.softpedia.com/get/System/OS-Enhancements/KeyTweak.shtml)

I have not looked at it, but it might do the job.